[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Warning: Failed mail to VMS host

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/19/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: Connect failed, no response from object

The reason why your message could not be delivered is that the remote
DECnet node is not responding at the moment, either because DECnet is not
running at the remote node or because the link to the remote node is
down.

The mail system will try to deliver your original message to the
recipient. If this is not possible within a reasonable time period the
message will be returned to you.

====== The start of Your original message ======

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

	I am attempting  (w/o success) to run NCSA Telnet 2.3b11 on my
AST Premium 286 machine configured as follows:

	3COM 503 Ethernet Board
	Ethernet Thinwire Connection

CONFIG.TEL contents:

	myip=139.121.20.112		# Provided by Local Administrator
	netmask=255.255.255.224		# Provided by Local Administartor
	arp=3

	tek=no
	video=ega
	bios=no

	hardware=3c503
	interrupt=3
	ioaddr=300			# Provided by Local Administrator
	wire=thin
	gateway=1

	rwin=512
	mtu=512
	maxseg=512

	termtype="vt100"

I attempt to start telnet with the following command:

	C:> TELNET 139.121.20.97

		139.121.20.97 is the IP address of our VAX.

I receive the following error message(s):

	NCSA Telnet 2.3b11, reading configuration file . . .
	MyIpString=[139.121.20.112]
	Error initializing network or getting configuration file
	Error in config.tel file.

	I am confused, and frustrated ( Network Rookie! ).  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in Advance,

	Tim

  ____ ____    ___               Tim Granger
 /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
____//   / / /___                Dayton, Ohio
           Internet: Oracle@Dayton.SAIC.COM  uucp: uunet!dayvb!Oracle

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

FYI - Xircom has fixed their Packet driver problem with large windows.
New drivers are available from them.

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

>drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:
>
>>I have just gotten version 2.3b11 of NCSA Telnet up and running,
>>and everything seems pretty good, except for a serious problem
>>I've encountered with the FTP program: when I log in and do
>>a "put" command to transfer from my PC to a Sun host (running
>>Sun/OS 4.0.3), about two hashmarks ("#") appear, then the transfer
>>hangs up.  The Sun shows the file as 0-length.
>>The FTP "get" and "mget" commands seem fine.
>
>We've experienced this same problem with a 3C503 card.
>I emailed telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu but haven't heard back yet.
>
>--
>-- Sue
>--
>Sue Klefstad    s-klefstad@uiuc.edu

Just a confirmation on this, I have also had the same problem with both
an IBM PC with a 3C501 card and an HP Vectra QS/16S with a 3C503.
I also sent a note to telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu (as well as 2 telnet.err
files so far) regarding this problem. (the telnet.err files were
unrelated and came from closing a second session, but left my first
session well enough alone).

    --alan

Alan D Weitzsacker              <cansys@canisius.bitnet>

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Has any DOS TCP/IP packages supports for UDP?

--
Bent Nielsen		<bni@modulex.dk>
A/S MODULEX		Phone:    +45 44 53 30 11

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

HI!

We need to obtain a copy of NCSA driver software and some documentation
to test on a small portion of our network before going campuswide.
Can you tell me where ( and how!) I can obtain a copy?  Everyone
keeps talking about FTPing a copy of this or that.  How do I do
this?

Any help is appreciated.

Shirley Powers
Albion College
S90920@albion.bitnet

Thanx!!

In article <9011142342.AA22803@diana.cair.du.edu>, rbourass@DIANA.CAIR.DU.EDU
 ("Mr. Photography") writes:
> Just wanted to say thanks for your response to my posting last week.
> I do appreciate knowing that you company is interested in communicating
> with its customers...
>
> Thanks again!
> Rich

This sounds like an endorsement and appreciation for something well
done, but all of us onlookers have no idea who you are saying did
good.

dan herrick

Harold Pritchett writes:

> It seems to me that the right solution here would be to use ZOO in place of
> TAR.EXE.  ZOO will provide the same function (package files together,
> retaining the original directory structure, etc) with the added advantage of
> compressing the data so that a 1:1 storage space is no longer required.

Thanks for the suggestion... you are quite correct.  I've got about a 66%
overall compression rate now.  I also looked at PKZIP, which got me about a
75% compression rate.  I prefer PD to shareware, though, so I'll be sticking
with ZOO.  It also seems to win over both simple tar and tar-then-compress,
since it compresses in-stream.

				David
--
David Paul Zimmerman                                     dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Systems Programmer						    rutgers!dpz

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Thanks for the info!!
Will try to get hold of the driver.

Thanks again,
Rich

In article <58271534@iss.byu.edu> KELLY@DCSPROD.BYU.EDU (Kelly McDonald) writes:
>There have been many questions as to the status of the BYU shell
>driver that we developed for running Novell IPX protocols over the
>packet driver interface.  Perhaps the following can help to clarify
>the status of the product.

[ Additional text about BYU selling out deleted ]

And people wonder why I'm in favor of Copylefting ;-)

---
brian@cimage.com

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Try the beta version of MSDOS 5.022b or MSDOS 5.033b, which comes
supplied with SETVER (in which case all the 3COM sys, exe and com
files have to be marked as being version 3.3). The MSREDIR program
that comes with the beta DOS version should be used instead of the
one supplied by 3COM.  Everything then works just fine.

Regards
 --------------------------------------------- ---------------------
  Bogdan Vladimirovich Lisovich
  Programme Co-ordination
  Department of Technical Co-operation           I came, I saw,
  International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
  Vienna International Centre, United Nations    I gave it some
  Wagramerstrasse 5, Vienna, Austria A-1400
  Telephone: 43 222 2360 6003                    consideration
  BITNET/EARN: TPB@IAEA1
 --------------------------------------------- ---------------------

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

I seem to recall that there has been som talk of a SMTP gateway from cc:Mail
on this group (or was it some other group?)
However the exclusive Danish importer of cc:Mail says no such beast exists.
Am my memory inventing this (it has done so before :-).
While I'm at it, does anybody has the snail address of the company who makes
cc:Mail? And a non-800 phone number?
Please reply by mail as this is probably of limited interest to the whole
group. Thanks in advance.

--Jesper

------------------------------
Jesper L. Lauritsen, systems programmer
U. of Copenhagen, Center for Applied Datalogy
Studiestraede 6, DK-1455 Copenhagen K, Denmark
domain addr: ibtjll@vm.ibt.dk; EARN/BITNET: IBTJLL AT DKIBT

In article <9011131403.aa12146@louie.udel.edu> SCEF0003@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU
 ("James N. Petersen") writes:
>In the pull-out article on DesqView/X in the IBM special issue of BYTE
>it says that DesqView/X will work over Ethernet connections with
>FTP Software.  Are they using this in a generic sense, or are they actually
>saying that it will work only with PC/TCP from FTP Software, Inc.  Anyone
>with insight?

My understanding from carefully reading the insert  is that DesqView/X
does NOT use any tcp/ip product directly. What it needs is a small driver
that provides the interface to a third party network driver such as the
tcp/ip that is made by FTP inc.

Look at page 29 of the insert, section 6.3 " The Network Software Product".
It is also states that a driver (Network Software Product) will be available
for Novell networks.
My question is, can the company that provides the network software also
provide us with the interface (Network Software Product) to DesqView/X?
When I buy DesqView/X I would like to use it over my BW-NFS network.

Why isn't there a DesqView newsgroup?

pasquale@sgl.ists.ca

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

I am having troubles with the TRW OSC 4.01 software running on the TRW
HC2001 adpater with netbios and the redirector loaded.  This is on a
Zenith Z-248 under DOS 3.3+  The problem is applications not having enough
memory and conflicting results from the various free RAM checking utilities.

The following the the command lines to load the TSR, download the kernel
to the board and load netbios & redirector:

inet load 9 -l -p 10 -t 20
netbios -s ""
10rdr work.pro

I get the following output from various free RAM checkers:

Cove's pmap:

Total conventional free memory           491680
Largest conventional free block           83936
Extended memory installed               2621440

DOS'S chkdsk

655360 bytes total memory
407616 bytes free ram

DOS's ram command

Total RAM = 640K
Available = 398K
In use    = 242K

The first is what I expect and most of my apps should run with that much
free RAM, however, Harvard Graphics, Freelance and Paradox 3.0 complain
about insufficient memory and therefore must be seeing one of the two latter
values.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?  A fix?

Thanks,
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

In article <1990Oct18.223515.20711@agate.berkeley.edu> jim@nature.berkeley.edu
 () writes:

>What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
>with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?
>
>Jim Bradley, CNR Computer Facility, UC Berkeley

i would be interested in obtaining similar information.  in particular,
does ncsa telnet for the pc support localtalk cards?  also, has anyone
had any experience with the (localtalk compatible) speedtalk cards from
EMAC?

thanks in advance.

lawrence anthony

 writes:

   What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
   with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?

Not sure.  Katie Stevens of UCDavis wrote a localtalk packet driver.  I'm
not sure if it's interoperable with your equipment.  But if it is, then you
can use it with any TCP/IP package that supports the packet drivers, i.e.
NCSA Telnet, CUTCP, KA9Q, FTP, Win/TCP, etc...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Can someone please email me the address of an FTP site with docs on NDIS?
Thanks...

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

	Does the vt102 emulator support an attached printer on either
NCSA's Telnet or Clarkson's CUTCP/CUTE Telnet?  There is a local utility
on our VMS system that prints a file to an attached printer. So far
I haven't been able to make it work.

-----------
  foxm@tramp.colorado.edu
  fox_m%cubldr@vaxf.colorado.edu

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

From article <1990Nov2.003502.2927@athena.mit.edu>, by drk@athena.mit.edu (David
 R Kohr):
> I have just gotten version 2.3b11 of NCSA Telnet up and running,
> and everything seems pretty good, except for a serious problem
> I've encountered with the FTP program: when I log in and do
> a "put" command to transfer from my PC to a Sun host (running
> Sun/OS 4.0.3), about two hashmarks ("#") appear, then the transfer
> hangs up.
> Have I encountered a new or known bug, or is there perhaps
> something wrong with my configuration?

I seem to have the same problem here with this release. The transfer fails
both with the 3C501 and decnet drivers (built-in drivers).

I would say there is a bug still here.

Ian.

Ian MacPhedran, Engineering Computer Centre, University of Saskatchewan.
2B13 Engineering Building, U. of S. Campus, Saskatoon, Sask., CANADA S7N 0W0
macphed@dvinci.USask.CA  macphedran@sask.USask.CA  macphedran@sask.BITNET
--

In article <72083@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> hughes@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (larry
 hughes) writes:
>Does anyone know how to submit a batch job from NCSA's client FTP
>to an IBM host?  The NCSA FTP doesn't implement the "site" command
>(which we can use to "site submit" to the IBM FTP server).

I've received several replies about using the quote command to
do this (i.e. "quote site submit").  To those who are interested,
this does work...assuming of course the server supports the site
command.

I also modified the NCSA FTP code to support "site", and have
submitted a request to NCSA to include the mod in the next
rev of beta 2.3.

 //=========================================================================\\
||       Larry J. Hughes, Jr.        ||        hughes@ucs.indiana.edu        ||
||        Indiana University         ||                                      ||
||   University Computing Services   ||   "The person who knows everything   ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass    ||      has a lot to learn."            ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405       ||                                      ||
||         (812) 855-9255            ||   Disclaimer: Same as my quote...    ||
 \\==========================================================================//

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Russ,

I have been playing with the latest version of CUTCP over slip links
using the slip8250 packet driver. When starting an FTP GET to my PC
from within a telnet session to a remote host my serial port (16550AN)
freezes... it seems reproducible. It seems the serial port is put in
some funny state that it doesn't receive data from my PC, the TX modem
light remains blank, restarting the packet driver doesn't help the
port seems stucked. Has anyone seen anything like this? I am using
hardware control...

-- Denis

In article <1990Nov16.204617.10610@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@csg.waterloo.edu
 (Eric Giguere) writes:
>Can someone please email me the address of an FTP site with docs on NDIS?
>Thanks...

FTP Software archives it (vax.ftp.com) - don't recall the file name.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden