[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PD NFS

SCEF0003@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU ("James N. Petersen") (09/29/90)

Is there a public domain version of PC-NFS available?  If so, where
do I go to get it.  Otherwise, are there commercial versions that will
work with the Clarkson packet drivers (AT&T StarLAN 10 NAU) that will
also allow NCSU telnet, etc to work at the same time?

JIm

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (09/29/90)

The packet drivers allow you (under some conditions) to run two
different protocol stacks simultaneously. They do not provide a means
for running two stacks of the _same_ protocol simultaneously. This is
due to the way demultiplexing works. The packet drivers sort packets
by type, sending those for Protocol A to the Protocol A stack, and
those for Protocol B to the Protocol B Stack.  If both stacks are the
same protocol (in this case TCP/IP) this will not work. Also, if both
stacks are the same protocol, both will need to receive broadcast
packets.  You will not be able to get a TCP/IP & NFS package that will
coexist with NCSA Telnet.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

ljm@MERCURY.TWG.COM (10/02/90)

>Is there a public domain version of PC-NFS available?  If so, where
>do I go to get it.  Otherwise, are there commercial versions that will
>work with the Clarkson packet drivers (AT&T StarLAN 10 NAU) that will
>also allow NCSU telnet, etc to work at the same time?

At this point there is no NFS client for DOS available in the public
domain.  The NFS clients from Beame and Whiteside, FTP Software, SUN,
and Wollongong all support the Clarkson packet drivers (and therefore
the AT&T StarLAN 10 NAU), but you'll have to use the telnet from
the appropriate vendor instead of NCSA't telnet.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
The Wollongong Group
ljm@twg.com

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (10/15/90)

Beware of certain vendors products in the NFS arena. They are not all equal
in supporting basic features. For example, some don't support Sun's rpc.lockd
daemon.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (10/17/90)

Yes, there have been versions shipped that didn't work. That is not really
the point. Anyone running modern version of SunOS (4.0.3 or 4.1) should be
able to run a working lock daemon.

The real point is that some vendors don't support any form of locking that
notifies other potential users of the file that it is locked. This is BAD.

Now that this locking protocol has been published by X/Open, it should be
much easier to get it right. I hope that various vendors will try.

STAN

jbvb@ftp.com ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (10/17/90)

    .... For example, some don't support Sun's rpc.lockd daemon.

There have also been numerous versions of rpc.lockd shipped by Sun which
didn't work in the first place.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (10/19/90)

In article <9010171443.AA00942@tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>Yes, there have been versions shipped that didn't work. That is not really
>the point. Anyone running modern version of SunOS (4.0.3 or 4.1) should be
>able to run a working lock daemon.
>
>The real point is that some vendors don't support any form of locking that
>notifies other potential users of the file that it is locked. This is BAD.
>
>Now that this locking protocol has been published by X/Open, it should be
>much easier to get it right. I hope that various vendors will try.
>
>STAN

Of course, Sun is still shipping distribution 4.1 tapes with a broken
rpc.lockd, and they don't tell you about the bug until you scream at them
and/or buy a service contract.  Considering that they know darn well that
the stock version is broken (it drives the kernel out of resources and blows
up) I consider this "omission" to be a real problem.

Their >new< and >improved< rpc.lockd still isn't solid - it has a habit of
dying (ie: exiting) which REALLY screws things up -- as in locks up every
process which has a file open on the machine which exited.

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com

CLS016@vaxc.bangor.ac.uk ("Edmund J. Sutcliffe ") (11/26/90)

Some time ago there was a lot of talk about a PD NFS client. Is this
so, if so where can I get the source from.
  Secondly, I have a question about running NFS over the packet drivers,
I have just picked up a copy of compat.zip from sun.soe.clarkson.edu
which contains PKTD.SYS.
   When I place this in my config.sys as advised by the docuemntation,
I get a message saying BAD or MISSING CON
 then the machine hangs. I have no autoexec.bat and am running DOS3.3 on
a 286 box with the neat chip set.
	All help gratefully recived
	   Edmund