[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/IP software for EXOS 205T

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (11/20/90)

Hi.  I'm trying to figure out the history of the software used to
drive the Excelan EXOS 205T smart ethernet card.

I have in hand manuals for a version 3.2.5 of the software dated
roughly June of 1987.  It refers to itself is "EXOS 8051-02 TCP/IP
Network Software".

I also have in hand the manual for a different product which specifies
that it needs to use the same EXOS 205T board but with driver software
whose manual is "Using the LAN Workplace for DOS".

I suspect that this "LAN Workplace" is just a new name for a later
version of the EXOS software, but there appear to be enough
differences between the two that stuff isn't working right.  When did
the name mutate?  What's in the newer software that the old one didn't
have?  (Subnet support, at least, I would hope.)

--Ed

p.s. Calling Excelan support is real fun.  First of all, they are now
part of Novell, so when you ask for the Excelan # at 1-800-555-1212,
you get the Lanalyzer part of Novell.  A miss on one of the other
menus (compatibility questions) lands you at a "call cannot be
completed as dialed message.

alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) (11/20/90)

In article <EMV.90Nov19182559@poe.aa.ox.com>, emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
|> I suspect that this "LAN Workplace" is just a new name for a later
|> version of the EXOS software, but there appear to be enough
|> differences between the two that stuff isn't working right.  When did
|> the name mutate?  What's in the newer software that the old one didn't
|> have?  (Subnet support, at least, I would hope.)

The LAN WorkPlace for DOS software is what the EXOS stuff used to be, and
in includes most of what you would expect in a PC TCP/IP package, including,
I believe, subnetting.  The latest version is probably 3.5 or so, which is the
last version to be specifically written to that card.  The new one is ODLI-based,
and will work on multiple cards, but won't use on-board intelligence of
the EXOS 205x boards.  Oh, well.

There is a difference between the two software package, which renders all
software written for the previous version inoperable on the later version.
A relink would fix this, if you have the code, but otherwise, you're probably
SOL.

Alan Medsker                                 Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
Voice: (508) 480-0881                        293 Boston Post Road West
Fax: (508) 480-0882                          Marlboro, MA  01752
Internet: amedsker@Viewlogic.COM
cc:Mail: Alan Medsker at Viewlogic
CI$: 76376,662
BIX: amedsker
2 Meters: WB0SQR
My opinions, of course.  And don't hold me to them.

manoj@ca.excelan.com (manoj @ Mail Prod Mktg) (11/21/90)

In article <EMV.90Nov19182559@poe.aa.ox.com>, emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

> Hi.  I'm trying to figure out the history of the software used to
> drive the Excelan EXOS 205T smart ethernet card.
>
> I have in hand manuals for a version 3.2.5 of the software dated
> roughly June of 1987.  It refers to itself is "EXOS 8051-02 TCP/IP
> Network Software".

The earth has made over 1000 orbits of the sun since Jun 1987.. and there have
been several new releases since 3.2.5

The product was 8051-02 was named to LAN WorkPlace for DOS
starting with Rel 3.3, which had follow up revisions to 3.4 and 3.5,
all leveraging the Excelan 205T and the 215T boards..

> I also have in hand the manual for a different product which specifies
> that it needs to use the same EXOS 205T board but with driver software
> whose manual is "Using the LAN Workplace for DOS".
>
> p.s. Calling Excelan support is real fun.  First of all, they are now
> part of Novell, so when you ask for the Excelan # at 1-800-555-1212,
> you get the Lanalyzer part of Novell.  A miss on one of the other
> menus (compatibility questions) lands you at a "call cannot be
> completed as dialed message.

If you followed any of the press, Novell acquired Excelan last year and so
Excelan ceased to exist. Thus you should have asked for Novell in the 800
directory info. There was a forwarding # for about one year for Excelan phones
but it has been ages since the merger happened..

Novell;s #s are 801 379 5900 or 800-LANKIND. For Updates 800-UPDATE1

+------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+
|  |\/\/\/|                                            | manoj goel        |
|  |      |   "Hey Dude, Don't have a cow!"            | Product Marketing |
|  | (o)(o)                - Bart                      | 408 473 8369      |
|  |     _)                                            | 408 433 0775 fax  |

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (11/27/90)

manoj@novell.COM (manoj goel) writes:

>The earth has made over 1000 orbits of the sun since Jun 1987.. and there have
>been several new releases since 3.2.5

Man! And I thought it was still the 20th century! Where did the time go?

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (12/01/90)

In article <2406@excelan.COM> manoj@ca.excelan.com (manoj @ Mail Prod Mktg) writes:

   I ask:
   > Hi.  I'm trying to figure out the history of the software used to
   > drive the Excelan EXOS 205T smart ethernet card.

   The product was 8051-02 was named to LAN WorkPlace for DOS
   starting with Rel 3.3, which had follow up revisions to 3.4 and 3.5,
   all leveraging the Excelan 205T and the 215T boards..

I've located the "new" software which we have for this board, but not
the documentation yet.  The EXOS ID string in one of the headers reads
"3-3AIv2", and strings on one of the binaries reads "3-3AIv5 3.5".
The dates (as much as I trust DOS dates) are all Dec 1988.

The INIT utility fails to initialize the board with the error message
"walking address test failed".  I checked that that jumpers on the
board matched up against the EXCELAN.HDW hardware description file,
but since I don't have documentation for that I suspect that I'm
missing a parameter or two.

Thanks for any help.

--Ed

USMail:   OTA Limited Partnership, 101 N. Main, Suite 410, Ann Arbor, MI  48104
Phone:	  +1 313 930-1888	FAX:	+1 313 930-6636
UUCP:	  <backbone>!umich!leebai!emv
Internet: emv@ox.com

david@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU ("David J. Camp") (12/02/90)

>manoj@novell.COM (manoj goel) writes:
>
>>The earth has made over 1000 orbits of the sun since Jun 1987.. and there have
>>been several new releases since 3.2.5
>
>Man! And I thought it was still the 20th century! Where did the time go?

Let me see if I got this right.  Since there were over 1000 days since
June 1987, he must be referring to the cosmic activity that occurs in
one day.  That means that earth is orbiting the Sun once per day.

This is an astounding discovery!  I propose that we start an
international effort immediately to rewrite all the ill-founded
textbooks that say the earth orbits the sun only once per year!

Furthermore, since the earth rotates about its access 365.2425 times
as often as it revolves around the Sun, that means that the earth is
spinning at a rate of 15 times per hour!  Thus the Sun will now be
setting almost every 4 minutes!

Cosmic discoveries of this nature should not be kept in the dark.
I propose that the full text of the research be placed in the public
domain, or better yet subjected to the GNU copyright!  This will
assure the maximum possible distribution of these important
earth-shattering discoveries!  -David-

p.s.  :-)

>Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
>FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (12/04/90)

In article <9012012051.AA25053@wubios.wustl.edu>, david@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU ("David J. Camp") writes:
>>manoj@novell.COM (manoj goel) writes:
>>
>>>The earth has made over 1000 orbits of the sun since Jun 1987.. and there have
>>>been several new releases since 3.2.5
>>
>>Man! And I thought it was still the 20th century! Where did the time go?
>
> Let me see if I got this right.  Since there were over 1000 days since
> June 1987, he must be referring to the cosmic activity that occurs in
> one day.  That means that earth is orbiting the Sun once per day.
>
> This is an astounding discovery!  I propose that we start an
> international effort immediately to rewrite all the ill-founded
> textbooks that say the earth orbits the sun only once per year!
>
> Furthermore, since the earth rotates about its access 365.2425 times
                                                 ^^^^^^
> as often as it revolves around the Sun, that means that the earth is
> spinning at a rate of 15 times per hour!

Sometimes I feel like I am spinning about my keyboard, too, but this
does seem out of proportion to the provocation.

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com