[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NDIS/MAC via FTP-Spec Packet Driver?

david@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU ("David J. Camp") (11/04/90)

I know that FTP Inc. has implemented a Packet Driver that uses
the NDIS/MAC interface.  It would seem useful for there to be
an inverse function, an NDIS/MAC driver that uses an FTP-Spec
packet driver as its base.  I can understand why FTP Inc. is
not interested in doing this, but perhaps a hacker reading
this message will become inspired and do the deed.  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (11/06/90)

    ....  It would seem useful for there to be
    an inverse function, an NDIS/MAC driver that uses an FTP-Spec
    packet driver as its base.

From 2nd-hand descriptions I've heard of how a couple of vendors implement
their NDIS drivers, they already have such NDIS-on-top-of-Packet-Driver
adapters.  I don't think any of them are about to release freeware, though.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

paulb@mlacus.oz (Paul Bandler) (11/29/90)

david@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU ("David J. Camp") writes:

>I know that FTP Inc. has implemented a Packet Driver that uses
>the NDIS/MAC interface.  It would seem useful for there to be
>an inverse function, an NDIS/MAC driver that uses an FTP-Spec
>packet driver as its base.  I can understand why FTP Inc. is
>not interested in doing this, but perhaps a hacker reading
>this message will become inspired and do the deed.  -David-

Similarly, now that Netware 3.1 clients are available which implement Noveles
ODI,  a Novel ODI driver that uses a packet driver and/or NDIS as its base
would complete the picture.  (Who said that the great thing about standards
is the number you can choose from...?)

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (12/04/90)

    ... a Novel ODI driver that uses a packet driver and/or NDIS as its base
    would complete the picture.

Novell promised a "Packet Driver MLID" to attendees at an academic Netware
user's forum last August.  I don't know when it might hit the streets.  There
are probably serious political obstacles to Novell's doing an "NDIS MLID",
witness the existence of two standards where one might suffice (and don't
throw bricks at us for continuing to maintain the Packet Driver spec when
NDIS exists - NDIS won't have equivalent functionality until drivers
conforming to v2.0 and supporting 'unbind' become widely available).