[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Dial up SLIP??

bushell@HAWK.NSTN.NS.CA (12/05/90)

James B. VanBokkelen writes:

>Dial-up SLIP is easy if you only have one dial-in line.  You give everyone
>who might call the same remote IP address, and everything is fine.  The
>problems arise with more than one line: SLIP alone doesn't have any way of
>telling the far end "you came in on line 5; use 192.9.1.6 as your address
>and 192.9.1.7 as your router for this session".  Some people use BOOTP for
>this purpose.  Others use PPP, which has the address/default gateway
>negotiation built in.
>
>James B. VanBokkelen      26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
>FTP Software Inc.         voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

Just in the last few days, I've successfully solved this problem of varying
IP numbers by the less than elegant approach of a custom C program that dials
the modem, extracts the IP number assigned to the connection, and runs an AWK
script that replaces the IP number in the configuration files of the
applications we're using (NSCA Telnet and KA9Q).  Crude, but effective.

Tom

*  Tom Bushell                            Software Kinetics Ltd  *
*                                         101 Ilsley Ave         *
*  E-mail - bushell@hawk.nstn.ns.ca       Suite 5                *
*  Phone (902)468-3680                    Dartmouth N.S., Canada *
*  Fax   (902)468-3679                    B3B 1S8                *