[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3com 3c505 and ncsa telnet.

dhmiller@xps1.ladc.bull.com (Dan Miller - XPS1) (12/04/90)

I am attempting to connect to an ethernet thru an ibm pc/at clone using
a 3com 3c505 board and ncsa.  At present I have been unsuccessful.
to connect to a remote system via either telnet or ftp results in a
total system hang.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has attempted such
a feat.  Hopefully, with more success then I have had!

Thanks in advance,
Dan Miller dan-miller@l66a.ladc.bull.com
*   Dan Miller                    |                                 *
*   miller@l66a.ladc.bull.com     | 		                    *

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec3.215641.917@ladc.bull.com> dhmiller@xps1.ladc.bull.com (Dan Miller - XPS1) writes:

>I am attempting to connect to an ethernet thru an ibm pc/at clone using
>a 3com 3c505 board and ncsa.  At present I have been unsuccessful.

Early 3c505 drivers didn't work well at all.  Try more recent releases of the
public domain driver set maintained by Russ Nelson at Clarkson University.
I use these with cutcp, the Clarkson package which started from NCSA Telnet
and is diverging from the work done by NCSA.  It is a very solid package
now.  If you are using the driver that is/was available at uiuc.edu for
inclusion in NCSA Telnet..it never worked right for me.  BTW, I am not
using the Release 7 driver, but a little earlier driver.  The release 7
driver fails to establish itself.  I haven't gotten back to it with
a debugger to see what is going on.  I could make available the exact
binary file, autoexec.bat, and config.tel files I am using if this would
help you.  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (12/05/90)

In article <4121@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu
 (Ron Srodawa) wrote:
>The release 7 driver fails to establish itself.

The release 7 version of Clarkson's 3c505 packet driver worked
on the several 3c505's which I tried it with.  The loading and
initializing of the driver took quite a long time compared to
packet drivers for other Ethernet cards, but it worked once it's
loaded.  (The boards I tried came from two different hardware
revision levels, some had their memory banks fully populated
while others only had the minimum memory.)

...Sam

P.S.  Anyone interested in some used 3c505's?  :-)
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl