[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA Telnet over SLIP?

paulf@deere.com (Paul A. Fisher) (12/05/90)

I have seen several articles discussing running NCSA telnet over SLIP, but I
have not seen what is actually required for this.  I have looked through the
documentation for NCSA Telnet version 2.2 and they only mention ethernet
boards that are supported.

We have SLIP running on a Sun 3/160, and I would like to be able to use a
PC to dial in and do FTP.

Could someone please point me towards some documentation that might help me
figure this out?  Also if NCSA Telnet is not the answer, what would you
recommend?

Thank You.

--
Paul A. Fisher                    paulf@deere.com
Deere Tech Services               ...uunet!deere!paulf

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (12/06/90)

In article <532@deere.com> paulf@deere.com (Paul A. Fisher) writes:
>I have seen several articles discussing running NCSA telnet over SLIP, but I
>have not seen what is actually required for this.  I have looked through the
>documentation for NCSA Telnet version 2.2 and they only mention ethernet
>boards that are supported.

We are running NCSA Telenet 2.3 beta 9 here.  It includes in the docs somewhere
mention of packet driver support.  We are running the 3C501, 3C503, 3C523
packet drivers with NCSA on top and everything works great.  There is a SLIP
packet driver I believe.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development