[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Net-Bootable PC Soft/Hardware ?

whwb@ciba-geigy.ch (Hans W. Barz) (12/04/90)

I am looking for a PC TCP/IP/NFS software (PC/NFS, FTP, Beame&Whiteside, ...) which
includes a boot-Protocol for a PC. By this I mean, that the PC needs no longer any
local disk or discette and come us by its own. In case such a software/hardware is
not delivered by one of the the NFS manufacturers, it might also be possible to
have something additional from another manufacturer.

Hans W. Barz, R.1045.3.34, CIBA-GEIGY, 4002 Basel, Switzerland
   Internet/uucp-Mail: whwb@CIBA-GEIGY.CH
   X.400: C=CH;A=ARCOM;P=CIBA-GEIGY;OU=CHCGBS30;S=BARZ;G=HANS;I=W
   phone: +41/61/6974520
   fax: +41/61/6973288

dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) (12/06/90)

whwb@ciba-geigy.ch (Hans W. Barz) writes:
> I am looking for a PC TCP/IP/NFS software (PC/NFS, FTP, Beame&Whiteside, ...)
> which includes a boot-Protocol for a PC. By this I mean, that the PC needs
> no longer any local disk or discette and come us by its own. In case such a
> software/hardware is not delivered by one of the the NFS manufacturers, it
> might also be possible to have something additional from another manufacturer.

We have developed a PROM that plugs into the ROM socket of the Ethernet
controller and enables to diskless boot from a TCP/IP host.

The ROM is available for Racal Interlan NI6510, Western Digital WD8003/8013
and 3Com 3C503 controllers. Also it has been verified to support the
network products FTP/Software PC/TCP and InterDrive, Beame&Whiteside NFS,
Sun Microsystems PC-NFS and Locus Computing PC-Interface.

The Internet protocols used by the PROM are BOOTP to get the network
addresses and bootstrap information from a server. To download MS-DOS and
the network software from a server the TFTP protocol is used.

The ROM comes with all support for MS-DOS, beside a customer of our has
modified the AT&T System V/386 Rel. 4 kernel that way that it diskless
boots UNIX with the TCP/IP BOOT-PROM.

best regards,
dirk

--