[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] LU 6.2

cjdb@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (11/30/90)

I realize I'm in the wrong newsgroup (what's the right one?), but I
figured one of you might have the expertise I need, or might be able
to point me to it.

Simply stated, I am researching the possibility of application to
application communication between an IBM-compatible mainframe and a
large number of IBM PC's; IBM calls this APPC (advanced program to
program communications). I am not interested in any kind of
host-to-terminal communications, nor in file transfer protocols.

LU 6.2 seems to be the way to go, but I'd like to know what's
necessary on the PC end, especially how to implement PU 2.1, which
together with LU 6.2 is necessary for APPC. Has anyone developed
function libraries for this that I can link in with the applications
I'm developing, or do I need to look at cards or "black boxes" of some
sort (maybe something that does RS232 on one end, LU 6.2 on the
other), or do I need to network the PCs first, with the SNA gateway
functioning as the PU 2.1?

E-mail responses preferred. If there is a better (or equally good)
group for this, please let me know as well. Thanks.

--
Bitnet:                 pmrcjdb@uchimvs1
Internet:       cjdb@midway.uchicago.edu

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Nov30.021606.19174@midway.uchicago.edu> cjdb@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

>Simply stated, I am researching the possibility of application to
>application communication between an IBM-compatible mainframe and a
>large number of IBM PC's; IBM calls this APPC (advanced program to
>program communications). I am not interested in any kind of
>host-to-terminal communications, nor in file transfer protocols.
>
>LU 6.2 seems to be the way to go, but I'd like to know what's
>necessary on the PC end, especially how to implement PU 2.1, which
>together with LU 6.2 is necessary for APPC. Has anyone developed
>function libraries for this that I can link in with the applications
>I'm developing, or do I need to look at cards or "black boxes" of some
>sort (maybe something that does RS232 on one end, LU 6.2 on the
>other), or do I need to network the PCs first, with the SNA gateway
>functioning as the PU 2.1?

Firstly, LU 6.2 does NOT require PU 2.1 or LEN support.  You
will need PU 2.1 only if you need parallel sessions and
Independent LU support...NEITHER of which are recommended for
DOS connections to the mainframe....Let VTAM provide the Primary
LU function for ALL your sessions..it is much better at this
than DOS will ever be.   Also do parallel sessions with EXTREME
caution, as it is quite easy to create a "deadly embrace" in the
non-multitasking environment of DOS....(that info came from the
IBM pub... "Advanced Program-to-Program Communication for the
IBM Personal Computer: Programming Guide"  SX27-3757)

You can connect to the IBM mainframe in a variety of ways...your
choice will depend on your budget AND the operating system of
the PC's....

  1.  3270 Coax.  Provides pretty good rates.  You put a coax
      card in the PC and connect it to a 3270 controller.  The
      Host knows you are an LU 6.2 connected via a PU 2.0...and
      if you are (the 3274) channel attached you will lose a few
      connectivity options...  The "raw" rate is a little over 1
      Mbit, but the effective rate is somewhat less...

      The 3274 or 3174 is itself connected via Channel, Token
      Ring, or SDLC...in roughly decreasing throughput rates..

  2.  SDLC.  You will need an SDLC adapter.  Spend the extra
      bucks to get one with a '186 processor on it.  You can
      connect leased or dial directly to the IBM FEP as either a
      PU 2.0 or PU 2.1 Node...depends on the VTAM/NCP levels in
      BOTH...   Rates vary, bucks gets throughput.

  3.  Token Ring.  You will need a TIC in your FEP...and more
      memory.  Rates are 4 and/or 16 Mbit.  You don't really
      need 16....

      Exactly HOW you connect to the Host in this (Token Ring)
      instance will depend on whose Network Operating System you
      use...

      o  IBM's OS2/EE provides bundled support for multiple 3270
	 sessions as well as LU 6.2.   DON'T confuse this with
	 Microsoft's OS2 EE which differs considerably....  You
	 don't need a separate gateway for this...the PC's are
	 formal SNA Nodes...  (and currently IBM is the ONLY
	 vendor with this native support...)

      o  Several other vendors provide a Gateway solution which
	 connects to the IBM host using SNA over Token Ring,
	 with the rest of the PC's using Netbios to talk to the
	 Gateway...  Throughput is lower, but in most instances
	 quite acceptable.   Try 3COM, etc...    Most of these
	 will work with DOS, MS-DOS, or MS-OS2.

The APPC (or LU 6.2) software you buy will influence your choice
of connection...some support all of the above, others less...

Rabbit, NYNEX-SSI, 3COM, Spectrum Concepts all provide LU 6.2
packages....   Some provide both Mapped and Basic API's, some
offer Function Libraries, and some even provide the Service
Transaction Programs which can provide a higher level
programming interface.....   If you get a straight LU 6.2 Mapped
and/or Basic API product only, strongly urge getting one with a
good API trace capability...you are quite likely to need it...

Welcome to Distributed Processing, and Good Luck...

j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (12/06/90)

>      o  Several other vendors provide a Gateway solution which
>	 connects to the IBM host using SNA over Token Ring,
>	 with the rest of the PC's using Netbios to talk to the
>	 Gateway...  Throughput is lower, but in most instances
>	 quite acceptable.   Try 3COM, etc...    Most of these
>	 will work with DOS, MS-DOS, or MS-OS2.

Most vendors of PC SNA emulation products (Attachmate, DCA, etc.) provide direct
PC <-> IBM host connectivity via token ring without requiring a gateway.  If
the PCs are on the token ring there is no reason to stick a gateway in between
the PC and the host.

Throughput for a tr attached PC is roughly equivalent to a coax attached PC.

Jon
j_rodin@cnd.hp.com