[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Asynchronous TCP

austin@cs.widener.edu (Jeff Austin) (12/05/90)

     This may be totally off the wall, but does anyone know of a TCP/IP
     product (Public Domain or Proprietary) that will allow TCP to be
     run over dialed lines between a VMS host and a PC?  I'd like my PC
     to appear as a remote IP host to the VAX in order to support FTP,
     TELNET, SMTP, and FINGER.

     For example, the product should do for TCP what DEC's DDCMP through
     DECnet-DOS does for DECnet.  I've checked Wollongong's "DBRIDGE"
     option and the FTP software for the IBM-PC, but nothing really seems
     to do what I want.  Any ideas?  Is this even possible?  Thanks!

					Jeff
--
| Jeff Austin - Widener University, Chester PA |    @ @    Remember -        |
|         austin@tattoo.cs.widener.edu         |     >     "Never try to     |

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (12/05/90)

>    This may be totally off the wall, but does anyone know of a TCP/IP
>    product (Public Domain or Proprietary) that will allow TCP to be
>    run over dialed lines between a VMS host and a PC?  I'd like my PC
>    to appear as a remote IP host to the VAX in order to support FTP,
>    TELNET, SMTP, and FINGER.

Actually it's not off the wall at all.  The protocol you are looking for
is called SLIP (Serial Line IP).  Most (all?) commercial packages have
a slip driver including our own (DOSIP).  Of the PD PC packages, I know
that KA9Q has a slip driver.  I believe most VMS TCP/IP packages also
contain SLIP, but I'm not as certain.

There is a replacement to slip for point to point communications (such
as serial lines) called PPP.  However it is not nearly as widely
implemented at this point int time as slip is.  It solves a number of
technical and administrative shortcomings in slip.  For now though,
you're probably better off using slip and changing to PPP later.

				Joe Herman
				U. of Md DOSIP Project.
				dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec04.215433.3007@cs.widener.edu> austin@cs.widener.edu (Jeff Austin) writes:
>     This may be totally off the wall, but does anyone know of a TCP/IP
>     product (Public Domain or Proprietary) that will allow TCP to be
>     run over dialed lines between a VMS host and a PC?  I'd like my PC
>     to appear as a remote IP host to the VAX in order to support FTP,
>     TELNET, SMTP, and FINGER.

What you are looking for is SLIP.  There is a public domain version NCSA
which runs on top of the packet drivers.  There is a packet driver for the
PC which supports SLIP.  I'm sure you can find a PD version of SLIP for
your VMS also.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development

manager@cai.com (12/07/90)

In article <358@srchtec.UUCP>, mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:
> In article <1990Dec04.215433.3007@cs.widener.edu> austin@cs.widener.edu (Jeff Austin) writes:
>>     This may be totally off the wall, but does anyone know of a TCP/IP
>>     product (Public Domain or Proprietary) that will allow TCP to be
>>     run over dialed lines between a VMS host and a PC?  I'd like my PC
>>     to appear as a remote IP host to the VAX in order to support FTP,
>>     TELNET, SMTP, and FINGER.
>
> What you are looking for is SLIP.  There is a public domain version NCSA
> which runs on top of the packet drivers.  There is a packet driver for the
> PC which supports SLIP.  I'm sure you can find a PD version of SLIP for
> your VMS also.

Carnegie Mellon's CMU-TEK TCP/IP for VAX/VMS systems supports SLIP, X.25,
and DECnet in addition to standard Ethernet. I have no affiliation to
Carnegie Mellon except as a satisfied hacker of CMU-TEK.

--
Todd Aven
Manager, Mid-range Computer Services

Internet:	manager@cai.com