[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] telnet over 9600 baud SLIP impressions

henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca (12/06/90)

How effective is it to run NCSA telnet over a 9600 baud slip link
for interactive use (ie editting)?  Is it somewhat like running
over a 2400 baud modem...better...worse?  I'm more concerned
about the "feel" of the connection (character echo-back time) than
burst transfer speed (displaying a whole page).

Thanks,
-Henry Bland <henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca>

david@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU ("David J. Camp") (12/06/90)

>How effective is it to run NCSA telnet over a 9600 baud slip link
>for interactive use (ie editting)?  Is it somewhat like running
>over a 2400 baud modem...better...worse?  I'm more concerned
>about the "feel" of the connection (character echo-back time) than
>burst transfer speed (displaying a whole page).
>
>Thanks,
>-Henry Bland <henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca>

I have done this.  I must say I had a lot of problems, but I think
they can be blamed on the hardware.  I had a simply 3-wire RS232
connection, and SLIP expects to be able to use the flow control lines.
The SLIP server on the Unix system kept exiting.  I was able to
continue the session by restarting the SLIP server, and it continued
where it left off!  I finally put the sliplogin call in a script
with a loop.  Then, when it exits, it is immediately restarted.

When it worked, it worked almost as well as an Ethernet connection
for a single session with nothing else active.  If I started some
activity on a separate session using the same link, things got
ssllooww.

I later got a lot more experience with slip between two Suns, but
never got around to using that experience with a PC.  I had long
since given up on using SLIP with NCSA_Telnet, and never had a
strong reason to try again.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (12/07/90)

> -Henry Bland <henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca>

> How effective is it to run NCSA telnet over a 9600 baud slip link
> for interactive use (ie editting)?  Is it somewhat like running
> over a 2400 baud modem...better...worse?

I can't speak to running NCSA over slip, but running MD-DOSIP over 9600 baud
slip isn't bad at all.  SLIP at 9600 baud feels much faster than regular
typing at 2400 baud.  This is primarily because you don't have to wait
so long for bulk refreshes.  There is not a noticible delay between keystroke
and echo back (except for using GNU Emacs, but that's because we're running
Emacs on a tiny VAX2000 and it's always that slow).

So, I wouldn't worry about using SLIP at 9600 baud in terms of user
interactive performance.  FTP will seem slow because you'll be used
to LAN speeds (what?  I can't pull down the Seashore GIF in 5 seconds? :-) )

				Joe Herman
				U. of MD DOS/IP Project.

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (12/07/90)

In article <9012061404.AA05017@wubios.wustl.edu> david@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU ("David J. Camp") writes:
>>How effective is it to run NCSA telnet over a 9600 baud slip link ...

>I later got a lot more experience with slip between two Suns, but
>never got around to using that experience with a PC.  I had long
>since given up on using SLIP with NCSA_Telnet, and never had a
>strong reason to try again.

I started working with SLIP last night between two PCs.  The two PCs were
connected using a 2400 baud modem.  I had to use Procomm to get them on-line
with each other.

Then, I installed the packet driver for slip and was able to start NCSA
telnet/ftp, but I couldn't seem to get the two to talk.  When I tried to
open a ftp connect, I saw the modem SD light blink, but not connection.

I will be expirementing more over the weekend.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				      mra%srchtec@salestech.com
4725 peachtree corners cir., suite 200		       emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
norcross, georgia 30092					 (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development

bmw@isgtec.uucp (Bruce M. Walker) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.195409.1694@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca> henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca writes:
> How effective is it to run NCSA telnet over a 9600 baud slip link
> for interactive use (ie editting)?  Is it somewhat like running
> over a 2400 baud modem...better...worse?  I'm more concerned
> about the "feel" of the connection (character echo-back time) than
> burst transfer speed (displaying a whole page).

(I assume you are referring to a direct-connect, ie not through a modem ...)
The feel at 9600 baud is "sluggish" but useable.  Definitely better
than a 2400 baud modem.

We use scads of 12 MHz PC-XT clones running NCSA/Clarkson Telnet 2.2D
over SLIP links to Sun 4/370's and I have found that I get complaints
from programmers unless I run all the links at 19200 baud.  At that speed
the feel of the link is good, but you still get a couple of brief pauses
(1/10 second or so) as the entire screen is filled.

I expect a big improvement when we switch to Van Jacobson Compressed
SLIP (real soon now :-)

--
bmw@isgtec.uucp  [ ..uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw ]  Bruce Walker