[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PD Software for 3270 PC Ethernet Card

df555@cs.city.ac.uk (WHITTAKER A.P.B.) (12/05/90)

We have acquired an IBM generic ethernet-type card from an old 3270 PC.
Does anyone know of a software driver for these cards?

Tony Whittaker

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (12/06/90)

    We have acquired an IBM generic ethernet-type card from an old 3270 PC.
    Does anyone know of a software driver for these cards?

This is likely to be the "IBM Baseband Adapter", which is an OEM version
of the U-B PC/NIC, which at least PC/TCP, NCSA and the IBM TCP/IP for DOS
support directly, and for which you can get a Clarkson Packet Driver (free)
or an NDIS driver ($50 from U-B).  Full-size card, uses a Fujitsu LAN
controller chip and shared memory.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (12/07/90)

>    We have acquired an IBM generic ethernet-type card from an old 3270 PC.
>    Does anyone know of a software driver for these cards?
>
>This is likely to be the "IBM Baseband Adapter", which is an OEM version
>of the U-B PC/NIC

The original IBM PC LAN card was a baseband adapter OEM'ed from Sytek, now
Hughes.  The only API available for the card (withouth programming directly
to hardware) is NetBIOS which is in ROM on the card.

Jon
j_rodin@cnd.hp.com

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/10/90)

In article <7260005@hpfcso.HP.COM> j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) writes:

>>    We have acquired an IBM generic ethernet-type card from an old 3270 PC.
>>    Does anyone know of a software driver for these cards?
>>
>>This is likely to be the "IBM Baseband Adapter", which is an OEM version
>>of the U-B PC/NIC
>
>The original IBM PC LAN card was a baseband adapter OEM'ed from Sytek, now
>Hughes.  The only API available for the card (withouth programming directly
>to hardware) is NetBIOS which is in ROM on the card.

If you contact Hughes Lan Systems (was Sytek), they publish an NDIS MAC
driver for ye 'ol Sytek baseband card...it'll allow NDIS compatable transport
drivers to run on it.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

FOWBLE@ohstphrm.pharmacy.ohio-state.edu (Jack Fowble) (12/10/90)

Woaaa...
   You say "3270 PC", which was an old config that *coax* attached
to local 3274-type controllers, etc.
   So please be sure that you, in fact, *have* an ethernet card,
not the IBM bisynch adapter, which has a BNC connector on it
(and usually a big round red varistor on the board right near the
signal feed).

-Jack

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (12/10/90)

    The original IBM PC LAN card was a baseband adapter OEM'ed from Sytek, now
    					^^^^^^
That card was broadband (CATV cable, head-end, etc).  The thing sold under the
name "Baseband Adapter" is OEM'ed from U-B, and supports Ethernet.

    Hughes.  The only API available for the card (withouth programming
    directly to hardware) is NetBIOS which is in ROM on the card.

I have heard from people who have IBM-supplied ASI (the spec used by
TOKREUI and LAN Support Program on 802.5) drivers for their broadband
cards, and who use our 802.5 version.  I can't say that RFC 1042
encapsulation is the right thing to use on any given broadband
network (depends on non-PC hosts and routers), but some people like it...

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/11/90)

In article <9012091838.aa10795@louie.udel.edu> FOWBLE@ohstphrm.pharmacy.ohio-state.edu (Jack Fowble) writes:
>Woaaa...
>   You say "3270 PC", which was an old config that *coax* attached
>to local 3274-type controllers, etc.
>   So please be sure that you, in fact, *have* an ethernet card,
>not the IBM bisynch adapter, which has a BNC connector on it
>(and usually a big round red varistor on the board right near the
>signal feed).

Good point.  Hopefully there will be some identifying chips on
the card.  Just make sure it has a LANCE or some other E'net
driver on it...   The AMD number for the LANCE is Am7990, don't
remember the other vendors..nor the numbers for the generic 3270
chips....

You may want to copy down the numbers of all the chips on the
board with more than about 24 pins...post it and most likely the
readers can id the card instantly...