[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Windows and NCSA Telnet - unholy marrriage?

steve@OTTO.BF.RMIT.OZ.AU (Steve Iatropoulos) (11/23/90)

    Let me first apologize for the length of this query but i think this
    problem may start cropping up more and more as people start using
    MSWindows3.0

    I have recently installed Windows 3.0 and I must say i am impressed with it.
    Hoevere I really do need to get NCSA to work reliably with it.  I experience
    the following strange behaviour:

	1) On occasions when i exit NCSA telnet, Windows decides to die with it,
	   sometimes gracefully, sometimes very very ungracefully.

	2) When I put NCSA telnet into the background, and then return to it,
	   some -not all- of the sessions unexpectantly close (gracefully) as
	   if I logged out myself.

	3) Worst of all, is when I put NCSA telnet in the background,
	   start up some applications in Windows and then attempt to return
	   to NCSA I get an out of memory error.  Funny thing is, when i
	   query the Program manager I have something like 10Mg free and
	   65% resources free.  Nevertheless, quitting all the applications in
	   Windows still wont free the memory I need to get NCSA going.

      In defence to NCSA, i think most of the problems arise from the way
      i have specified my PIF for Telnet.  I allocate 128kb and i give it 640k
      (if desired).  I have cleared the detect idle flag and have put the
      exclusive flag on (oh yeah I have set the -w flag when i start the
      packet driver - but that goes with out saying).  Is there anything
      else i can do to obtain a more stable behaviour from NCSA?

     I think Windows is great (for the DOS world) and I really want to give
     it a shot.

     Thanx for your time,
     Steve

Steve Iatropoulos,	ACSnet:   steve@otto.bf.rmit.oz
Faculty of Business,	UUCP:	  uunet!munnari!goanna!otto.bf.rmit.oz.au!steve
    Level 2		Internet: steve@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au
    110 Victoria St,	Tel:	  +613 660 3603
    Cartlon, Victoria	ICBM:	  7 48 S / 147 58 E
    Australia, 3053
			#include <SomethingWitty.h>

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (11/24/90)

From article <9011230039.9069@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au>, by steve@OTTO.BF.RMIT.OZ.AU (Steve Iatropoulos):

>     Let me first apologize for the length of this query but i think this
>     problem may start cropping up more and more as people start using
>     MSWindows3.0

   Forget it. Use WinQVT NET with Windows 3.0. You can have several
telnet sessions each with there own window. Emulates vt200 terms. Works
with packet drivers. And you can have ftp sessions going simultanous.
The file is available on my bbs. File: wnqvtnet.zip  located in the
msdos_comm files section. Phone numbers for the bbs should be in the
.sig.  I tested it out on a 386SX with WD8003E cards over to an ESIX system,
the only bug I ran into is mget on ftp reports mulitple file transmit
errors.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov23.223831.10209@fiver> palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>   Forget it. Use WinQVT NET with Windows 3.0. You can have several
>telnet sessions each with there own window. Emulates vt200 terms. Works
>with packet drivers. And you can have ftp sessions going simultanous.
>The file is available on my bbs. File: wnqvtnet.zip  located in the
>msdos_comm files section. Phone numbers for the bbs should be in the
>.sig.  I tested it out on a 386SX with WD8003E cards over to an ESIX system,
>the only bug I ran into is mget on ftp reports mulitple file transmit
>errors.

I never head of this package before.  Is it available via anonymous
FTP anywhere?

   - John_Lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (11/27/90)

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) writes:

|In article <1990Nov23.223831.10209@fiver> palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:
|>   Forget it. Use WinQVT NET with Windows 3.0. You can have several
|>telnet sessions each with there own window. Emulates vt200 terms. Works
|>with packet drivers. And you can have ftp sessions going simultanous.
|
|I never head of this package before.  Is it available via anonymous
|FTP anywhere?

Try cica.cica.indiana.edu <129.79.20.22>.  That's where I found it
last week.  WinQVTnet does work, though it is a little rough.  Since
your already running NCSA, I assume you have properly installed packet
drivers.  The only other setup is a small TSR loaded before Windows,
and set-up of a host table in the WinQVTnet config file.  WinQVT does
not seem to support domain name resolution, so plan to spend some time
manually typing the host and ip assignments for each system you want
to access.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

a0045@BERRY.RRZ.UNI-KOELN.DE (Jochen Roderburg) (11/27/90)

>>	Try cica.cica.indiana.edu <129.79.20.22>.  That's where I found it
>>	last week.  WinQVTnet does work, though it is a little rough.  Since
>>	your already running NCSA, I assume you have properly installed packet
>>	drivers.  The only other setup is a small TSR loaded before Windows,
>>	and set-up of a host table in the WinQVTnet config file.  WinQVT does
>>	not seem to support domain name resolution, so plan to spend some time
>>	manually typing the host and ip assignments for each system you want
>>	to access.

 In my first tests with WINQVTNET I found that it *does* support
 domain name servers, but wants every host listed in its config file.

 What it doesn't: no RARP, doesn't work with FTP's NDIS-to-packet-converter,
 so it looks like is it based on some older TCP/IP kernel.
 And, like all the QVT Windows programs before, it doesn't like my
 german keyboard.

 So I think it is an interesting and promising program, but needs some
 polishing before it's really usable.

 Jochen Roderburg
Regional Computing Center
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:     +49-221/470-4564
D-5000 Koeln 41                        Internet: Ro @ RRZ.Uni-Koeln.DE
(Reunited) Germany                     BITNET:   A0045 @ DK0RRZK1

AFORTI%ITNCISTI@ICNUCEVM.CNUCE.CNR.IT ("FORTI ANDREA C.I.s.T.I") (12/11/90)

Ciao questo programma per windows3 io l'avevo gia provato tempo fa
e non va male .Pero' il problema sta nel fatto che non si riesce a
lavorare in Full Screen ma solo in Line Mode.Di conseguenza si lavora
solo in ambiente puramente Unix,comunque continuo con le prove.

Ti ringrazio e ti saluto