[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Lan's that support operating systems

SCEF0003@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu ("James N. Petersen") (12/09/90)

In a recent article, Russ Nelson suggests:

  o Switch to another LAN operating system that supports the packet drivers,
    you know, ???????.  Hmmm...  That would seem to be a problem.  Perhaps
    we could convince Artisoft or whomever to include packet driver support?

I thought that the current version of AT&T's StarGroup software did just
that.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

RWMIRA01@ulkyvx.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (12/10/90)

In Message <9012081820.aa02464@louie.udel.edu>, SCEF0003@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
("James N. Petersen") writes:

>In a recent article, Russ Nelson suggests:
>
>  o Switch to another LAN operating system that supports the packet drivers,
>    you know, ???????.  Hmmm...  That would seem to be a problem.  Perhaps
>    we could convince Artisoft or whomever to include packet driver support?
>
>I thought that the current version of AT&T's StarGroup software did just
>that.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

AT&T StarGROUP software version 3.3a and 3.4 support NDIS and will work
concurrently with the DIS_PKT.DOS file from FTP software (vax.ftp.com).  You
must have version 3.3.1 of the ATTCSMA.DOS file.  Our version of 3.3 didn't
have it.  If not, contact your AT&T folks and have them get it for you.

Rob Miracle
"Some times you just have to bow to the absurd."  -- Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/10/90)

In article <9012081820.aa02464@louie.udel.edu> SCEF0003@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu ("James N. Petersen") writes:
>In a recent article, Russ Nelson suggests:
>
>  o Switch to another LAN operating system that supports the packet drivers,
>    you know, ???????.  Hmmm...  That would seem to be a problem.  Perhaps
>    we could convince Artisoft or whomever to include packet driver support?
>
>I thought that the current version of AT&T's StarGroup software did just
>that.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

AT&T's StarGroup (3.3&4) is Lan Manager/Unix (LM/X), which supports the NDIS
interface on DOS and OS2 workstations. Packet driver software (well, most of
it now) can run on the same NDIS interface as StarGroup-LM/X via James'
dis_pkt.dos (packet driver to ndis driver adapter). Unfortunatly, the BYU
code is one of those that DOSN'T run on dis_pkt.

The concept of StarGroup-LM/X running on a packet driver is a good idea, except
that StarGroup (3.4) can use a number of different transport layers (ISO,
tcp-ip, netbeui) and therefore you would need a packet driver port for each
transport.

It seems a NDIS-to-packet would be a better idea - that would open up packet
driver support for ALL Lan Managers - not just AT&Ts (they ALL use NDIS as an
interface - sorta' like a "standard" (ya, ya - I know)). It would allow the
BYU code to co-exist with Lan Man.

There ARE a few commercial products around that provide Netware support on
NDIS (remember - ODI is a DOG (ask Garfield :-)) and without thw "abort" bug.
Both Hughes Lan Systems' and Walker, Richer and Quinn have Netware NDIS
drivers - at far less than the +$1000 I've heard quoted for the V3 of the
BYU code, or CoCoNet.
--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/11/90)

In article <F0F821753F7F201F44@ulkyvx.bitnet> RWMIRA01@ulkyvx.BITNET (Rob Miracle) writes:
>In Message <9012081820.aa02464@louie.udel.edu>, SCEF0003@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
>("James N. Petersen") writes:
>
>>In a recent article, Russ Nelson suggests:
>>
>>  o Switch to another LAN operating system that supports the packet drivers,
>>    you know, ???????.  Hmmm...  That would seem to be a problem.  Perhaps
>>    we could convince Artisoft or whomever to include packet driver support?
>>
>>I thought that the current version of AT&T's StarGroup software did just
>>that.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
>AT&T StarGROUP software version 3.3a and 3.4 support NDIS and will work
>concurrently with the DIS_PKT.DOS file from FTP software (vax.ftp.com).  You
>must have version 3.3.1 of the ATTCSMA.DOS file.  Our version of 3.3 didn't
>have it.  If not, contact your AT&T folks and have them get it for you.

Have your AT&T folks obtain the "StarGroup 3.4 Client Upgrade Diskette" from
the Computer Systems Hotline - it contains the ATTCSMA.DOS v3.4 NDIS MAC
driver.