[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/IP for OS/2

phil@wubios.UUCP ("J. Philip Miller") (08/02/88)

Computerworld (8/1) p. 77 says that Frontier Technologies has stopped
development ona product called PS/2-TCP/IP that runs under OS/2
because, supposedly nobody wants it.

If it were a reasonable product, we would certainly be interested in it.
Anybody know anything about this product or the company?

----------------------
J. Philip Miller, Div. Biostatistics, Washington University Medical School

pte900@jatz.aarnet.edu.au (Peter Elford) (12/14/90)

I understand that ftp Software have a version of PC/TCP for OS/2 EE. Does this
support an ftp server and/or a POP[2|3] server ?

Does the IBM TCP/IP for OS/2 product supports either of these functions ?

Could a standard UNIX (there's a contradiction in terms if ever there was
one) POP daemon be compiled under OS/2 (and be expected to work) ?

Are there any other implementations of IP for OS/2 I should know about ?

Are there any in the public domain ?

Peter Elford,                           	e-mail: P.Elford@aarnet.edu.au
Network Co-ordinator,	 			phone: +61 6 249 3542
Australian Academic Research Network,		fax: +61 6 247 3425
c/o, Computer Services Centre,			post: PO Box 4
Australian National University			      Canberra 2601
Canberra, AUSTRALIA

efeustel@tiger1.Prime.COM (Ed Feustel) (12/14/90)

If I understand correctly, FTP TCP-IP does not require EE.  IBM does.

IBM offers demons and clients for FTP, TELNET, TALK, SENDMAIL, TFTP, NFS, etc.
I do not yet have version 1.1 but am looking forward to NFS support.
The TELNET clients
support VT100, ANSI, or 3270.  TCP supports DIX and IEEE protocols.

backman@vaxeline.COM (Larry Backman) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec14.101719.3768@csc.anu.edu.au> pte900@jatz.aarnet.edu.au (Peter Elford) writes:
>I understand that ftp Software have a version of PC/TCP for OS/2 EE. Does this
>support an ftp server and/or a POP[2|3] server ?

The existing PCTCP for OS/2 1.0 supports OS/2 EE only on Ethernet via the
NDIS interface.  The release we are working on now, V1.1, will fully support
IBM OS/2 EE via the Communications Manager interface.

Our existing release contains an FTP server among other things.  It does not
contain either POP2 or 3 servers.  Our 1.1 release will contain PCMail &
POP3 servers.

>Could a standard UNIX (there's a contradiction in terms if ever there was
>one) POP daemon be compiled under OS/2 (and be expected to work) ?

We will be providing a Development kit which in addition to a sockets
interface (via a DLL) will provide enough UNIX emulation to provide
a relatively (:-) ) easy port from UNIX to OS/2.  No matter what we
do, you still will need some <#ifdef OS2> code.

					Larry Backman
					backman@ftp.com