[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Is there an RFC for LPD?

iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (12/11/90)

The 'Subject:' says it all really. I'm looking for some sort of formal
spec of the TCP-IP lineprinter system. I know there's an RFC to cover
most of the other TCP-IP services, is this one covered too?

Thanks in advance

Steve                                             |  WALES: "Land of Song
iiitsh@pyr.swan.ac.uk                             |   and Rugby^H^H^H^H^H
..or in Britain, where we drive on the other side:|    Ice Hockey"
iiitsh@uk.ac.swan.pyr                             |

e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) (12/13/90)

In article <2198@cybaswan.UUCP> iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:
>The 'Subject:' says it all really. I'm looking for some sort of formal
>spec of the TCP-IP lineprinter system. I know there's an RFC to cover
>most of the other TCP-IP services, is this one covered too?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Steve                                             |  WALES: "Land of Song
>iiitsh@pyr.swan.ac.uk                             |   and Rugby^H^H^H^H^H
>..or in Britain, where we drive on the other side:|    Ice Hockey"
>iiitsh@uk.ac.swan.pyr                             |

The protocol used to talk to lpd is described in RFC 1179,
"Line Printer Daemon Protocol" (also somewhat confusingly called
LPR). It's relatively recent, August 1990, so it may no be
available from everywhere.

--
Ricard Wolf

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Ricard Wolf              | Lund Institute of Technology        |
| email: e85rw@efd.lth.se  | If you can't buy 'em - build 'em !! |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+

oleg@ibm.com (12/13/90)

> The 'Subject:' says it all really. I'm looking for some sort of formal
> spec of the TCP-IP lineprinter system. I know there's an RFC to cover
> most of the other TCP-IP services, is this one covered too?
> Thanks in advance
> Steve

RFC 1179 describes Line Printer Daemon Protocol.

Oleg Vishnepolsky
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/17/90)

In article <2198@cybaswan.UUCP> iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:
   I'm looking for some sort of formal spec of the TCP-IP lineprinter
   system. I know there's an RFC to cover most of the other TCP-IP
   services, is this one covered too?

Get a copy of the RFC Index, wherein grep(1) will find you:

1179  Line printer daemon protocol.  1990 August; 14 p. (Format: TXT=24324
      bytes)