[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Lantastic <--> TCP/IP

edwards@groucho (12/14/90)

"So Dan," my Chairman asks casually, "why don't we hook up
the student PC network (7 PC clones running Lantastic 3.0 on
Western Digital ethernet cards) to your system (HP-UNIX 9000/350
running TCP/IP into a Proteon gateway) and give the students
Internet access?"  "I'll even throw in a couple of hundred
bucks to help make it happen." he generously adds.
"Sure thing", I reply. (He is the Chairman.)

How can I possibly accomplish this?  I don't know
much about networking.  Do I need hardware, or software,
or is it hopeless?  All the students on the network need
(besides their usual Lantastic functions) is telnet and ftp.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

daniel edwards/department of chemistry/university of idaho/moscow id
edwards@neon.chem.uidaho.edu
"You can observe a lot by just watching." Y. Berra

cws@FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) (12/15/90)

    Date: 13 Dec 90 17:03:16 GMT
    From: ogicse!uidaho!edwards@uunet.uu.net
    Subject: Lantastic <--> TCP/IP

    How can I possibly accomplish this?  I don't know
    much about networking.  Do I need hardware, or software,
    or is it hopeless?  All the students on the network need
    (besides their usual Lantastic functions) is telnet and ftp.
    ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

    daniel edwards/department of chemistry/university of idaho/moscow id
    edwards@neon.chem.uidaho.edu
    "You can observe a lot by just watching." Y. Berra

Artisoft sells a device independent version of LANtastic.  This
version should run on top of any netbios implementation.  I am
currently testing this out with our netbios.  There are two possible
ways in which you can implement this.  The first is to simply run it
on top of an rfc 1001/1002 compliant netbios.  This is where the
netbios uses TCP/IP as a transport.  These are sold by us, 3COM,
Wollongong, and Ungermann-Bass.  I am not sure about Beame and
Whiteside and the public domain TCP/IPs.

The second method of running this is to run it over a netbios that is
running on top of a shared protocol driver (packet driver, NDIS, ASI)
and run the TCP/IP side by side with it.  There are many TCP/IP's
available that will support this method.

Cris Shuldiner						Product Support
cws@ftp.com						FTP Software, Inc.
Ph: (617) 246-2920					Fax: (617) 245-7943
"The pain of war can not exceed the woe of aftermath..."  - Led Zeppelin

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (12/15/90)

In article <9012141920.AA10152@ftp.com>, cws@ftp.com wrote:
>The second method of running this is to run it over a netbios that is
>running on top of a shared protocol driver (packet driver, NDIS, ASI)
>and run the TCP/IP side by side with it.

Could someone please list some NETBIOS implementations (commerical
or otherwise) that use a "shared protocol driver" of some sort?
e.g. One which runs directly on top of Ethernet via a packet driver.

Thanks in advance.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

In article <1990Dec13.170316.29748@groucho> edwards@groucho writes:

   "So Dan," my Chairman asks casually, "why don't we hook up
   the student PC network (7 PC clones running Lantastic 3.0 on
   Western Digital ethernet cards) to your system (HP-UNIX 9000/350
   running TCP/IP into a Proteon gateway) and give the students
   Internet access?"  "I'll even throw in a couple of hundred
   bucks to help make it happen." he generously adds.
   "Sure thing", I reply. (He is the Chairman.)

   How can I possibly accomplish this?  I don't know
   much about networking.  Do I need hardware, or software,
   or is it hopeless?  All the students on the network need
   (besides their usual Lantastic functions) is telnet and ftp.
   ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

The best solution to your problem is to ask Artisoft to support the packet
driver specification.  That should be fairly easy for them to do if they
provide support for multiple Ethernet cards -- the packet driver client
would appear as just another Ethernet "card".

With a packet driver Lantastic, you could run it and TCP/IP at the same
time.  There are quite a few TCP/IP packages that run over the packet
driver, both commercial and free.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (12/19/90)

    Could someone please list some NETBIOS implementations (commerical
    or otherwise) that use a "shared protocol driver" of some sort?
    e.g. One which runs directly on top of Ethernet via a packet driver.

I believe there are only three hardware-independent (host resident)
TCP/IP NETBIOSes for DOS: our PC/TCP, Wollongong's WIN/PC and Beame
& Whiteside's BW-???.  All are available with one level or another of
support for NDIS and the Packet Driver.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (12/19/90)

In article <9012190143.AA07040@ftp.com>, jbvb@ftp.com wrote:
>> Could someone please list some NETBIOS implementations (commerical
>> or otherwise) that use a "shared protocol driver" of some sort?
>> e.g. One which runs directly on top of Ethernet via a packet driver.
>>
>I believe there are only three hardware-independent (host resident)
>TCP/IP NETBIOSes for DOS: our PC/TCP, Wollongong's WIN/PC and Beame
>& Whiteside's BW-???.  All are available with one level or another of
>support for NDIS and the Packet Driver.

Beside these TCP/IP-based NETBIOSes, are there any other ones that
will run directly on top of Ethernet via a packet driver or an NDIS
driver?  i.e. Ones that doesn't require a TCP/IP stack to sit in
between the NETBIOS and the MAC layer.

My understanding so far is that in order to run Lantastic over the
packet driver, the simplest way would be to run a NETBIOS implementation
which deals directly with Ethernet frames, but transmit/receive them
via a packet driver.

..Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (12/20/90)

I don't know of any NETBIOS emulations which run directly on the ethernet
packets.  Most run LLC onto of ethernet which adds LOTS and LOTS of overhead.

If someone doesn't come up with one soon I make break down and write one
since I have written a couple of emulators for other networks.

j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (12/20/90)

>    Could someone please list some NETBIOS implementations (commerical
>    or otherwise) that use a "shared protocol driver" of some sort?
>    e.g. One which runs directly on top of Ethernet via a packet driver.
>
>I believe there are only three hardware-independent (host resident)
>TCP/IP NETBIOSes for DOS: our PC/TCP, Wollongong's WIN/PC and Beame
>& Whiteside's BW-???.  All are available with one level or another of
>support for NDIS and the Packet Driver.

Hewlett-Packard has DOS TCP/IP which runs over NDIS, so it is hardware
independent.  The HP package includes telnet (via BAPI/Int 14), sockets,
ftp, rsh an rcp.

Jon
j_rodin@cnd.hp.com
(303) 229-2474