[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] ka9q and copyright law

todd@Quotron.COM (Todd_Booth) (12/07/90)

There are many files in the ka9q which don't have a copyright notice.
May I assume that the only reason ka9q is not PD is that a few of the
files have a copyright license.  I have contacted Phil Karn who said
I could send him a check for $10,000 for a site licence but we're
intested in creating a product to ship to customers.  If we rewrite the
copyright files could we then (for the first time) have a PD tcp/ip
kernel with a bsd socket interface?

--
todd (booth)

todd@quotron.com 213 302-4368
..!uunet!quotron.com!todd

karn@envy..bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (12/07/90)

I have made it a rule to not use either USENET or the Internet for
discussions having to do with the commercial use of my KA9Q code.

However, since the issue has unfortunately been brought up here by
someone else I felt I should send this one message to clarify publicly
the status of KA9Q.

As is evident from the startup message, the entire KA9Q package is
copyrighted. Most of the "base" code was written by me, while certain
major subsections (e.g., SMTP, NET/ROM, the mailer command, etc) were
written by several other volunteers who retain the copyright on their
own contributions; see the individual source files for details. (If
there is no authorship notice in a particular file, then you can
assume that I wrote it.)

All of these modules are available under the same conditions: they may
be freely copied and used without charge by noncommercial users such
as universities and amateur radio operators, but commercial copying
and use requires permission from the appropriate author(s).

If you are in this latter category, please call me at home: (908)
561-2970.  The best times to reach me are late evenings (east coast
time) and weekends. I do travel a lot and I keep infamously irregular
hours even at home, so you may have a hard time getting though at
first. But if you leave a message we should eventually hook up.

Please do NOT send me email; if you do, you will simply get a response
asking you to call me at home.

Thanks,

Phil

GD.WHY@FORSYTHE.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Yundt) (12/07/90)

REPLY TO 12/07/90 02:32 FROM
SDD.HP.COM!ELROY.JPL.NASA.GOV!JARTHUR!NNTP-SERVER.CALTECH.ED: ka9q and
copyright law

Mr. Booth,

I am not an attorney but have dealt with software licensing
and intellectual property rights periodically over the last
20 years.  I think you should consult an attorney for
answers to questions of the kind you pose and not rely
on the PC/IP board for this purpose.

I will, however, offer you one bit of advice because others
might suffer from the same misconception your note implies.
You must ASSUME copyright whether or not a copyright
notice is present.  The 1976 federal copyright legislation
changed the rules which used to require that a copyright
notice be conspicuous on a copyrightable work for it to
be protected; now the author is protected under the law
from the moment the expression (e.g. writing/typing) creates
the copyrightable matter..... whether or not there is
a notice in evidence.  In the case of multiple programs
composing a single "work" (e.g. ka9q), I think you would
be wise to treat all the parts as copyright by Mr. Karns
unless you have obtained explicit written permission from
the author to do otherwise.

Further, it is my belief that Phil Karns, having generously
provided the right to copy and use his work for specific
non-commercial purposes is more than justified in seeking
to share in any commercial exploitation of that work for
profit and am I am appalled that a company like
Quotron does not simply negotiate a fair and honest royalty
arrangement for commercial use of the work with the
deserving author.

I further remind all users of this mail list that it and
the Internet access to it are intended for support of
research and education and not purely commercial interests
of the kind Mr. Booth is pursuing.  I believe his use of
USENET-to-Internet mail for this purpose to be a violation
of the Interim NSFNET use rules and am forwarding his
communication and this note to NSF authorities for their
information.  Those supplying mail-forwarding for this
class of traffic are, in my opinion, in technical if not
substantive violation of the applicable use rules.

Bill Yundt
Executive Director, Bay Area Regional Research Network
Board Member, Federation of American Research Networks
Director, Networking and Communication Systems, Stanford University

To:  PCIP@UDEL.EDU, TODD@QUOTRON.COM

david@wubios.wustl.edu ("David J. Camp") (12/09/90)

>There are many files in the ka9q which don't have a copyright notice.
>May I assume that the only reason ka9q is not PD is that a few of the
>files have a copyright license.  I have contacted Phil Karn who said
>I could send him a check for $10,000 for a site licence but we're
>intested in creating a product to ship to customers.  If we rewrite the
>copyright files could we then (for the first time) have a PD tcp/ip
>kernel with a bsd socket interface?

Absolutely not.  The old copyright law may have allowed you to do
this, but according to the Berne Convention, it is no longer necessary
for an author to apply a copyright notice to a work to enforce his
copyright.  The files without copyright notices are under the full
protection of the U.S. copyright law.

I have heard that there may be some way to bypass the law by exporting
and reimporting the product, but I know little about this.  -David-

>--
>todd (booth)
>
>todd@quotron.com 213 302-4368
>..!uunet!quotron.com!todd

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."

sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve "il-Manhous" Norton) (12/09/90)

david@wubios.wustl.edu ("David J. Camp") writes:
>this, but according to the Berne Convention, it is no longer necessary
>for an author to apply a copyright notice to a work to enforce his
>copyright.  The files without copyright notices are under the full
>protection of the U.S. copyright law.

I've heard of this Berne Convention before--does anyone know if there is
an electronic copy of the agreement somewhere that I could obtain
via mail, FTP, or anything else?

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (12/25/90)

>I further remind all users of this mail list that it and
>the Internet access to it are intended for support of
>research and education and not purely commercial interests
>of the kind Mr. Booth is pursuing.  I believe his use of
>USENET-to-Internet mail for this purpose to be a violation
>of the Interim NSFNET use rules and am forwarding his
>communication and this note to NSF authorities for their
>information.  Those supplying mail-forwarding for this
>class of traffic are, in my opinion, in technical if not
>substantive violation of the applicable use rules.
>
>Bill Yundt
>Executive Director, Bay Area Regional Research Network
>Board Member, Federation of American Research Networks
>Director, Networking and Communication Systems, Stanford University

Mr. Yundt:

I would personally appreciate it if you would restrain
yourself from posting threats to this bulletin board
and/or sending any allegations of improper use of the
network facilities to government officials.  Close to
20 percent of the postings propagated over the network
could easily be interpreted as falling outside of the
official guidelines for network use.  However, sending
complaints of the kind you propose to regulators might
easily result in termination of network access for a
very large portion of the network readership.  I don't
think taking that kind of risk is worth the very small
possibility someone in authority might take any action
against the original poster in this line of discussion.

Frankly, there is quite enough threat to our freedom of
speech ... and funding of network resources ... without
some self proclaimed legal eagle screwing everyone over.

On the other hand, if you want to cause serious trouble
for everyone -- why don't you just bulk print the alt.
personals, alt.sex, and alt.sex.bondage newsgroups and
mail them to some right wing religous conservatives in
the congress -- then sit back and see who's hide gets
burned in the process.

In short -- show a little more tolerance -- or start
looking for another network connection -- the federal
free ride for your opinions is likely to come to an
end real soon.