[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Thanks

purple@julian.uwo.ca (Lori Corrin) (06/28/88)

 	Thanks to all who replied to my message for help
	with TCP/IP under Xenix. I've passed the replies
	on to the powers that be around here so they can make
	the final decisions, but the Excelean product seem to be
	the most common choice.

	Thanks

	Lori Corrin
	Computing and Communications Services
	University of Western Ontario
	London, Ontario, Canada

	purple@uwo.ca
	purple@julian.UUCP
	purple@uwovax.BITNET
	(...!watmath!julian!purple)

cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Cohen) (02/14/90)

I just want to thank the folks at FTP, BYU, and Clarkson for all
the help I've gotten in the last few weeks. Certainly, it beats the
hell out of the effort made by my "Novell Authorized Reseller".
I tried to send replies, but I have had alot of trouble, especially
getting to BYU. Thus, this posting...

David Cohen                      |    After all, life is futility
cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com             |    married to an illusion.
{world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!cohend   |    - Zippy the Pinhead
Data General Corporation, RTP, NC|

acmeng@RELAY.PROTEON.COM (02/24/90)

David,
     I just want to thank the folks at FTP, BYU, and Clarkson for all
     the help I've gotten in the last few weeks. Certainly, it beats
     the hell out of the effort made by my "Novell Authorized
     Reseller".  I tried to send replies, but I have had alot of
     trouble, especially getting to BYU. Thus, this posting...

     David Cohen                      |    After all, life is futility
     cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com             |    married to an illusion.
     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!cohend   |    - Zippy the Pinhead
     Data General Corporation, RTP, NC|

You might want to try the Novell@suvm.acs.syr.edu discussion group.
Many good discussions are carried on there!

        -Alan Marshall, VP Proteon Inc.
         2 Technology Drive             CCMAIL: acm at proteonwebo
         Westboro, MA  01581-5008       ARPANET: acm@Proteon.com
                tel: (508)898-2120      MHS: acm @ ProteonW

iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (05/25/90)

My thanks to all those who contributed to the KA9Q - ISC Unix mail query.
I wasn't expecting to hear directly from karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) or
dougm@ico.ISC.COM (Doug McCallum), but their comments add a huge credibility
to the answer.

Now at least I understand what's happening (i.e it's a bug is BSD 5.61 Sendmail
and earlier) though the question "when's this going to get fixed" remains.
For instance, will ISC fix sendmail autonomously or is there a policy of
doing whatever BSD does regardless of the obvious bugs?

I have often wondered why 'sendmail' acts as the SMTP daemon at all. Surely
'sendmail' is a *router*, and should not be concerned with the physical act
of getting mail into and out of the machine? After all, 'sendmail' doesn't
handle UUCP mail, that comes in through 'uucico' which just spools it for
sendmail to route later. Why is SMTP different?

Steve                                             |  WALES: "Land of Song
iiitsh@pyr.swan.ac.uk                             |   and Rugby^H^H^H^H^H
..or in Britain, where we drive on the other side:|    Ice Hockey"
iiitsh@uk.ac.swan.pyr                             |

iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (01/02/91)

In article <BOB.90Dec17095504@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <2198@cybaswan.UUCP> iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:
>   I'm looking for some sort of formal spec of the TCP-IP lineprinter
>   system. I know there's an RFC to cover most of the other TCP-IP
>   services, is this one covered too?
>
>Get a copy of the RFC Index, wherein grep(1) will find you:
>
>1179  Line printer daemon protocol.  1990 August; 14 p. (Format: TXT=24324
>      bytes)

My thanks to Bob and all the other people who have posted with this information.
I obtained a copy of RFC 1179 just the other day and am now trying to work out
what it's talking about! But that's another problem.. :-)

Steve                                              |  WALES: "If Wales was
iiitsh@pyr.swan.ac.uk                              | flattened out, it would
..or in Britain, where we drive on the other side: | be bigger than England".
iiitsh@uk.ac.swan.pyr                              |                 - Gren.