[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] InterDrive NFS to an MVS NFS Server?

hnkcyz@rcsuna.uucp (Keith Dickey CT90) (12/19/90)

I'm running FTP Inc's PC/TCP Plus, which comes with a client NFS from
InterDrive. I am also running IBM's TCP/IP for MVS. I would like to see
if I could get the InterDrive NFS client working with the NFS server on
MVS. Does anyone know if this is possible? Does anyone have it working?
Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Keith Dickey
General Motors Research Labs
Warren, MI

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (12/20/90)

InterDrive should communicate with any NFS server. That's the point of
a standard, right? The only problem might be with authentification. I'm
not sure if there is a pcnfsd for MVS, or if the one we include with
InterDrive can be ported to it...

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

BRYAN@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU (Jerry Bryan) (01/02/91)

On 12/20/90 at 10:57:40 Frances Selkirk said:
>InterDrive should communicate with any NFS server. That's the point of
>a standard, right? The only problem might be with authentification. I'm
>not sure if there is a pcnfsd for MVS, or if the one we include with
>InterDrive can be ported to it...

We do not run IBM's NFS server on MVS, but we do run it on VM, and we
have had terrible problems with it.  It is hard to get a disk mounted,
especially to write on.  Authentication is indeed the problem.  It would
not surprise me to see the same problem exist for MVS.

NEASHAM@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (01/03/91)

On 12/20/90 at 10:57:40 Frances Selkirk said:
>InterDrive should communicate with any NFS server. That's the point of
>a standard, right? The only problem might be with authentification. I'm
>not sure if there is a pcnfsd for MVS, or if the one we include with
>InterDrive can be ported to it...

Bryan returned with:
>We do not run IBM's NFS server on MVS, but we do run it on VM, and we
>have had terrible problems with it.  It is hard to get a disk mounted,
>especially to write on.  Authentication is indeed the problem.  It would
>not surprise me to see the same problem exist for MVS.

     I have been in the throws of evaluation of several PC TCP/IP
packages for our IBM MVS/VM/AIX, DEC VMS, and CONVEX UNIX-port shop. The
problems with VMNFS turned out to be non-trivial: 1) the user must set
ALL THREE of thier minidisk passwords to be the same; 2) VMNFS does not
relinquish R/W access when the drive is dismounted OR when the link is
terminated. IBM claims this is a "feature" as this reduces overhead if
you decide to re-mount the drive. Sigh... It may be possible to send a
command via REXEC {since it works if you telnet in },
to terminate its hold of the form:

     SMSG VMNFS any-tag-name DETACH userid.vaddr

     We will soon be installing a port of TCP/IP from a university in
Canada, focusing on the LPD/LPR  initially {with special attention to
Joiner JNET linkage to the VaxCluster},  and hope to resolve the NFS
mount problem in this manner. If there is interest, I will be glad to
report the results...

Fred Neasham
Univ. of Az.; CCIT
Systems Programmer
602-621-1290
NEASHAM@ARIZRVAX.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU

pjj@ntrlink.hq.interlink.com (Patrick Johnston) (01/05/91)

In article <9101021025.aa06564@louie.udel.edu> BRYAN@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU (Jerry Bryan) writes:
>On 12/20/90 at 10:57:40 Frances Selkirk said:
>>InterDrive should communicate with any NFS server. That's the point of
>>a standard, right? The only problem might be with authentification. I'm
>>not sure if there is a pcnfsd for MVS, or if the one we include with
>>InterDrive can be ported to it...
>
>We do not run IBM's NFS server on MVS, but we do run it on VM, and we
>have had terrible problems with it.  It is hard to get a disk mounted,
>especially to write on.  Authentication is indeed the problem.  It would
>not surprise me to see the same problem exist for MVS.

Interlink's MVS version of NFS, SNS/NFS, does support pcnfsd.  While I
do not believe that it has been tested with Interdrive (and we are
willing to help test it out) we have tested with Sun's PCnfs and also
with Novell's (Execlan) PCnfs.

Patrick Johnston	Manager, International Marketing & Support
pjj@interlink.com	Interlink Computer Sciences
sun!ntrlink!pjj		47370 Fremont Blvd
			Fremont, California 94538
voice:	415/657-9800	fax:    415/659-6381