[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TelNet on a PC

system@hlthnt.UUCP (Steve Ginn ) (01/11/91)

I just have a quick (very novice) question pertaining to Telnet
for the PC (for example the one available on the NCSA FTP).

Does this application (or any like it) give someone on a PC
the ability to dial into a location with TELNET facilities
and transact business like someone uses a terminal program
to dial into BBS's ?

Is the version on the NCSA ok, or is there something better?

Thank You!
Steve Ginn

|    /^\     Steve Ginn                                                      |
|  / /|  \   Health-Net Systems, Inc.                        (915) 779-0900  |
|<-/--|--/->---------------------------------------------------------------- |
|  \  |/ /   7309 Parkland Dr.    E-Mail: ..!bbx.basis.com!hlthnt!postmaster |
|    \ /     El Paso, Texas 79925                                            |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

system@hlthnt.UUCP (Steve Ginn ) (01/12/91)

RVGC2@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU ("Ken Wieringo rvgc2@vtvm1.bitnet") writes:

> The Way I understand this is you must have a network card in your machine
> attached to a network to initiate a telnet session. You may dial in to a
> modem that is attached to a term ser that produces a telnet session, at
> a remote location, but that isn't what you are looking for is it? Ken

Well actually you are right as far as dialing in for a telnet session
however, I guess I was wondering if this could be taken one step further.
Rather than initiating all instructions (by dialing in remotely) as if
I were right there on the server, I thought that the Telnet for PC would
allow me to dial in and then issue all commands (after online with server)
and the telnet machines would transfer, etc. directly to my machine.

The way I accomplish things now is to telnet from my shell account, &
then transfer everything into my shell dir with a follow up Kermit
download from there to my remote PC (where the call originated from in
the first place).  Basically I am trying to cut out a step!