[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SLIP8250<-->ethdrv

gkreher@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL ("Glennon J. Kreher") (01/09/91)

Hi Group,

I am attempting to get Ftp Software's generic ethernet driver
to work using the SLIP8250 packet driver from Clarkson.  It seems
to load fine but I am getting errors when attempting to use any
of the commands.  When I attempt to get to something directly
attached to the SLIP network it returns "ARP failed", and remote
systems return "Gateway down".

I am using SLIP8250 with KA9Q and it works fine.

I am also using other Clarkson drivers with Ftp's generic ethernet
driver with good results.

Can I do this on a SLIP line?  What am I missing?

Thanks,
-glenn-
gkreher@stl-08sima.army.mil

gts@MICA.BERKELEY.EDU (01/10/91)

= From pcip-request@louie.udel.edu Wed Jan  9 08:15:32 1991
= From: "Glennon J. Kreher" <gkreher@stl-08sima.army.mil>
= I am attempting to get Ftp Software's generic ethernet driver to work using
= the SLIP8250 packet driver from Clarkson.  It seems to load fine but I am
= getting errors when attempting to use any of the commands.  When I attempt
= to get to something directly attached to the SLIP network it returns "ARP
= failed", and remote systems return "Gateway down".

FTP's PC/TCP 2.04 ethrdrv kernel does not work with SLIP8250.   Slip is not
enough like Ethernet.  In the newer PC/TCP 2.05, there is a slpdrv kernel that
is specifically designed to work with SLIP8250.

Gregory T Small                                      (415)642-5979
Personal Computer Networking & Communications        gts@violet.Berkeley.EDU
Workstation Support Services - Software Group        ucbvax!jade!gts
267 Evans Hall                                       SPGGTS@UCBCMSA.BITNET
University of California, Berkeley, Ca 94720

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (01/11/91)

In article <9101090823.aa09454@louie.udel.edu> gkreher@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL ("Glennon J. Kreher") writes:
>Hi Group,
>
>I am attempting to get Ftp Software's generic ethernet driver
>to work using the SLIP8250 packet driver from Clarkson.  It seems
>to load fine but I am getting errors when attempting to use any
>of the commands.  When I attempt to get to something directly
>attached to the SLIP network it returns "ARP failed", and remote
>systems return "Gateway down".
>
>I am using SLIP8250 with KA9Q and it works fine.
>
>I am also using other Clarkson drivers with Ftp's generic ethernet
>driver with good results.
>
>Can I do this on a SLIP line?  What am I missing?

The FTP generic "slip driver". The generic ethernet driver dosn't work
with the slip8250 packet driver - it's for ethernet. Expect to see a "generic
slip driver" in a forthcoming pc/tcp release (2.06?) that'll support slip8250.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (01/11/91)

To expand on that a bit, ETHDRV (the original in 2.04 & earlier) requires
a "class 1" (DIX Ethernet) Packet Driver.  In addition to ETHDRV, 2.05
includes kernels for classes 3 (802.5), 6 (SLIP), 11 (802.2 over 802.3)
and 13 (X.25).  The Clarkson SLIP8250 Packet Driver is class 6.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (01/12/91)

You are probably using version 2.04 of our software. In 2.04 we only
supported Class 1 (ethernet) packet drivers. In version 2.05, we
support ethernet, SLIP, IEEE 802.5 (token ring), X.25 and IEEE 802.3
with 802.2 headers.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880