[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Monitoring Ethernet traffic with a simple Ethernet card

patrick@blister.Solbourne.COM (Patrick Bowman) (01/10/91)

I'm looking for an Ethernet line monitor program that runs on an IBM
PC and works through a standard Ethernet card (3Com, WD, etc.).  I
know that they exist  -  I've spoken to people who claim to have seen
them in operation.  I don't know how they can work, because I thought
all Ethernet cards had hardcoded E-net addresses.  (I have heard it
rumored that some cards can have their E-net address downloaded to
them, but I haven't seen examples of this).  Does anybody know
where I can find such a thing?

The application that I'm looking at is running TCP/IP over Ethernet,
and the ability to interpret TCP/IP packets would be a real
advantage.

Sorry about the cross-posting, I really don't know where this request
is most likely to get answered.

e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.180145.2211@blister.Solbourne.COM> patrick@blister.Solbourne.COM (Patrick Bowman) writes:
>I'm looking for an Ethernet line monitor program that runs on an IBM
>PC and works through a standard Ethernet card (3Com, WD, etc.).  I
>know that they exist  -  I've spoken to people who claim to have seen
>them in operation.  I don't know how they can work, because I thought
(2)
>all Ethernet cards had hardcoded E-net addresses.  (I have heard it
>rumored that some cards can have their E-net address downloaded to
>them, but I haven't seen examples of this).  Does anybody know
>where I can find such a thing?
(1)

1) FTP software have a package called LanWatch, witch monitors and
   disassembles network traffic.
2) True, there is usually a TTL PROM on the E-net card containing the node
   address, but:
   a) This usually has to be downloaded to the Ethernet controller chip
      by the network software.
   b) Most E-net controllers can be set in so-called promiscuous mode, in
      which theyreceive all packets from the net, regardless of their
      address.
--
Ricard Wolf

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Ricard Wolf              | Lund Institute of Technology        |
| email: e85rw@efd.lth.se  | If you can't buy 'em - build 'em !! |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu (Joe Herman) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.180145.2211@blister.Solbourne.COM> patrick@blister.Solbourne.COM (Patrick Bowman) writes:
>I'm looking for an Ethernet line monitor program that runs on an IBM
>PC and works through a standard Ethernet card (3Com, WD, etc.).  I
>know that they exist  -  I've spoken to people who claim to have seen
>them in operation.

The old PCIP distribution (available from husc6.harvard.edu) contains
a simple ethernet monitor (netwatch) that displays the packets on an
ethernet in real time.  It lacks much that professional ethernet
monitors give you (performance, many many stats, traffic generation) but
has the advantage of being free and in the public domain.  I believe
that PCIP will now work with packet drivers.

I used this for a couple of years to debug some code I was writing and it
was invaluable.

				Joe Herman
				U. of Md.

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

jbartas@cup.portal.com (John A Bartas) (01/13/91)

I could really use the Packet Driver based Netwatch, but, alas I have no
FTP access to the net. Could some kind soul give me a 2400 baud phone
number where I could get it with Kermit?

Also, is there a contact person at Harvard who is activly maintaining
PCIP? I willl want to add SNMP interpreting to Netwatch (if it's not
already there) and would like to send the mods back to Netwatch's
keepers.

Thanks in advance,

-JB-
John Bartas - NetPort Software       |   "We have met the enemy,
jbartas@cup.portal.com (415)961-1715 |     and he is us." -Pogo