[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] lpd for the PC

henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca (12/05/90)

Is there any public domain software out there that lets you run
lpd (the unix line printer daemon) on a ethernet-connected PC?

Thanks,
-Henry Bland
Foothills Hospital
Calgary, Canada

assg7@tnofel.fel.tno.nl (Rene van den Assem) (12/07/90)

I'm also interested in a lpd implementation under MS/DOS.
Anyone?

Rene van den Assem
assem@fel.tno.nl
TNO Physics and Electronics Lab,
P.O. Box 96864
2509 JG The Hague
The Netherlands
+31 70 3264221

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (12/08/90)

We have an LPD for PCs. It requires a dedicated PC, and can support
multiple printers, up to the capacity of the PC. It can also write to
the same physical printer as different virtual printers with different
configurations. Keyboard commands provide debugging, statistics and
control.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

a0045@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Jochen Roderburg) (12/10/90)

A beta test version of a freeware LPD for MSDOS can be found in the
ftp-archive at tacky.cs.olemiss.edu in directory pub/lpd.
It uses some version of Clarkson or NCSA libraries and workes quite well
in some first tests here. Besides the LPD part there is also a FTP
and a BOOTP server included, which we also find very useful.
And not unimportant: full source available.

Jochen Roderburg
Regional Computing Center
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:     +49-221/470-4564
D-5000 Koeln 41                        Internet: Ro @ RRZ.Uni-Koeln.DE
(Reunited) Germany                     BITNET:   A0045 @ DK0RRZK1

Kerry_Koppert@kcbbs.gen.nz (Kerry Koppert) (12/17/90)

There is an lpd available from tacky@olemiss.edu. We are using version
1.0 and it works OK.

 |  /                  /~~                Public Unix BBS 24hrs | Ban French
 |_/ /\  |~\ |~\ /\   |   |~ | | /~ | (~  Auckland  NEW ZEALAND | nuclear
 | \ \,\ |,/ |,/ \,\  |   |  |_| \_ | _)  KC BBS: 09-817-3714   | testing in
 |  \    |   |         \__                Voice:  09-817-5569   | Pacific

mjw@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Michael J. Wohlgemuth) (01/16/91)

I know this has been posted before, but I can't remember where.
I'm looking for lpd that will run on a PC.  Any pointers would
be greatly appreciated.

Mike

eronen@kontu.utu.fi (Timo Eronen, Space Research Laboratory, University of Turku, Finland.) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.194909.13619@eng.ufl.edu>, mjw@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Michael J. Wohlgemuth) writes:

> I know this has been posted before, but I can't remember where.
> I'm looking for lpd that will run on a PC.  Any pointers would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Mike

Read the following article. We've been using that one for a while now
and it's working just ok.
-tke