[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] LanSmart

kc@rna.UUCP (Kaare Christian) (01/14/91)

Has anyone tried the tcp-ip, telnet, ftp, smtp and nfs support that
is available for LanSmart? Any other comments on LanSmart?

LanSmart was reviewed in last May's PC magazine as a pc
peer-to-peer network, similar in scope to artisoft's lantastic,
but that review didn't go into much detail on the protocols
and programs mentioned above. I need a lantastic-like network for a
small group of pcs, to do file sharing and to support netbios communication.
But we also have a rather extensive unix network in the department and
the ability to talk to that is a major advantage of lansmart over
lantastic.

We are currently using both pcnfs (sun) and pcinterface (locus) to
connect individual pcs to our unix net. Both work ok for that, but they
have a steep per/pc cost, and neither does much for pc-pc comm.

Kaare Christian
kc@rna.rockefeller.edu

cnolan@vax1.tcd.ie (01/19/91)

--

We use LanSmart with great success and flexibility here.  It is ideal for our
purposes, Novell etc are too much overkill.  Windows 3 is even aware of it!

The TCP/IP fuctionality is provided by FTP's PC/TCP, a product which is oft
discussed in this group.  The drivers provided by FTP allow both PC/TCP and
D-Link's LanSmart to co-exist.

One thing 'tho, I have not been able to get nfs to sit along with LanSmart.
The redirecter only sees one virtual drive.  Is this fixable?  Has anyone done
it?

Hope this helps ...

       	 	Conor Nolan			Phone:	772941 (X1741)
           	Microelectronics Dept.		Fax:	772442
            	Trinity College
	      	Dublin				cnolan@mee.tcd.ie
  	     	IRELAND

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (01/22/91)

    ... I have not been able to get nfs to sit along with LanSmart.
    The redirecter only sees one virtual drive.  Is this fixable?

Our redirector is pretty well-behaved, and co-exists with a number of
others.  In general, the best-behaved redirector should be loaded last
(so it gets first crack at redirecting things).  If changing the load
order is impossible, or doesn't help, someone's code has to change, and
I can't say whose...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901