[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] POP clients?

johnroc@ucsco.ucsc.edu (John Rocchio) (01/15/91)

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but does anyone know of any POP clients other than
the ones available from NASA and the stuff that comes with PC-NFS?
There seem to be a bunch for the Mac but only a few for the PC.

Thanks in advance,

John Rocchio
Workstation Consultant
UC Santa Cruz

sam@empery.ncsu.edu (Sam Moore) (01/15/91)

> Sorry if this is a FAQ, but does anyone know of any POP clients other than
> the ones available from NASA and the stuff that comes with PC-NFS?
> There seem to be a bunch for the Mac but only a few for the PC.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John Rocchio
> Workstation Consultant
> UC Santa Cruz

FTP, Maryland's and IBM's packages have POP. The biggest problem in my
opinion is that they have bad user agents(readers). I would like to see
the POP code isolated as the transport agent(which some of these are), but
have the source available so that it can be used with any user agent. This
is our plan. We are going to try to compile some POP transport code(that is
running on Unix now) with one of the development kits, either FTP's or
Maryland's. Both development kits boast of BSD socket libraries, so the
port should be easy right?

The user agent that we have found to be the best is Netmail, if you know of
any other good ones then let me know.

Sam

sec@cs.umn.edu (Stephen E. Collins) (01/16/91)

In <9101151413.AA00278@gyro> sam@empery.ncsu.edu (Sam Moore) writes:
>> Sorry if this is a FAQ, but does anyone know of any POP clients other than
>> the ones available from NASA and the stuff that comes with PC-NFS?
>> There seem to be a bunch for the Mac but only a few for the PC.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> John Rocchio
>> Workstation Consultant
>> UC Santa Cruz

We developed POPmail at the University of Minnesota.  There is a
Macintosh and an IBM version.  The IBM version was recently
completely rewritten to be very user-friendly.  It also includes
a feature that allows you to automatically process a file as
a binhexed document, both sending and receiving.

It can all be obtained via anonymous ftp at
boombox.micro.umn.edu  (128.101.95.95)

TELL PRESIDENT BUSH WE CAN WAIT: (202) 456-1111; FAX: (202) 456-2883
Send a Telegram  (charge to phone, VISA/MC/AMEX):     (800) 325-6000

Stephen E. Collins
University of Minnesota Microcomputer & Workstation Networks Center
sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu | sec@umnacvx.bitnet | FAX: (612)625-6817

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan16.005452.3804@cs.umn.edu> sec@cs.umn.edu (Stephen E. Collins) writes:
>We developed POPmail at the University of Minnesota.  There is a
>Macintosh and an IBM version.  The IBM version was recently
>completely rewritten to be very user-friendly.  It also includes
>a feature that allows you to automatically process a file as
>a binhexed document, both sending and receiving.
>
>It can all be obtained via anonymous ftp at
>boombox.micro.umn.edu  (128.101.95.95)

I have checked out this software and it looks very nice.  It relies on
the Clarkson packet drivers, which is fine, but I would like to use it
along with PC-NFS (I don't like Lifeline).  Does anyone know hoe to
run both pieces of software.

I have tried running the Packet Driver version of the PC-NFS drivers
and they work fine, but POPmail then complains that it can't find the
packet driver, even if I load a second one.  Any suggestions?

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
               andrew@calvin.doc.CA    andrew@doccrc.BITNET

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (01/23/91)

    I have tried running the Packet Driver version of the PC-NFS drivers
    and they work fine, but POPmail then complains that it can't find the
    packet driver, even if I load a second one.  Any suggestions?

POPmail needs to be re-written to use a resident TCP/IP stack (like PC-NFS,
Win/PC, BW-TCP or PC/TCP) instead of containing its own.  I don't know
which of the freeware stacks it uses, but the work should't be too horrible.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

kjetilo@gollum.uio.no (Kjetil Otter Olsen) (01/23/91)

>Subject: Re: POP clients?
>From: jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen")
>Date: 22 Jan 91 21:57:18 GMT
>
>    I have tried running the Packet Driver version of the PC-NFS drivers
>    and they work fine, but POPmail then complains that it can't find the
>    packet driver, even if I load a second one.  Any suggestions?
>
>POPmail needs to be re-written to use a resident TCP/IP stack (like PC-NFS,
>Win/PC, BW-TCP or PC/TCP) instead of containing its own.  I don't know
>which of the freeware stacks it uses, but the work should't be too horrible.
>
>James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
>FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

If source is made available I can try the PC-NFS part.

Is the source available ? If so; where ??

------
Kjetil Otter Olsen			kjetilo@gollum.uio.no
PC / Network Consultant			voice:+47-2-453488 fax:+47-2-455770
Central Computing Service,    University of Oslo,    Norway
------

bushell@HAWK.NSTN.NS.CA (01/23/91)

Andrew Patrick  (andrew@calvin.doc.CA) writes, concerning Popmail:

>I have tried running the Packet Driver version of the PC-NFS drivers
>and they work fine, but POPmail then complains that it can't find the
>packet driver, even if I load a second one.  Any suggestions?

We have been successfully using the Clarkson packet drivers with Popmail,
and have found that Popmail will only use the first packet driver it finds.
Perhaps it will work if you make sure your packet driver is using interrupt
0x60 (the lowest usable by packet drivers).

Kjetil Otter Olsen (kjetilo@gollum.uio.no) writes:

>>Subject: Re: POP clients?
>>From: jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen")
>>Date: 22 Jan 91 21:57:18 GMT
>>
>>	I have tried running the Packet Driver version of the PC-NFS drivers
>>	and they work fine, but POPmail then complains that it can't find the
>>	packet driver, even if I load a second one.  Any suggestions?
>>
>>POPmail needs to be re-written to use a resident TCP/IP stack (like PC-NFS,
>>Win/PC, BW-TCP or PC/TCP) instead of containing its own.  I don't know
>>which of the freeware stacks it uses, but the work should't be too horrible.
>>
>>James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
>>FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901
>>

>If source is made available I can try the PC-NFS part.
>
>Is the source available ? If so; where ??

After we pestered them a bit, the U of M people gave us the source for
Popmail.  It is written in Turbo Pascal 6.0, and seems fairly well written.
I suggest you email Earl Schelske at:

	earl@boombox.micro.umn.edu

for details.  Earl has been very helpful with some problems we had getting
Popmail to run over a 2400 baud SLIP connection.  Damn fine service, when
you consider what we pay for it. 8^)

We may be doing some mods ourselves (i.e. saving mail messages, list of
message topics, etc).  It would be nice if we could all coordinate any mods
we make, so nobody ended up reinventing the wheel.  Maybe any changes could
be sent to U of M, and they could put the ones they liked in the next release.

-Tom

*  Tom Bushell                            Software Kinetics Ltd  *
*                                         101 Ilsley Ave         *
*  E-mail - bushell@hawk.nstn.ns.ca       Suite 5                *
*  Phone (902)468-3680                    Dartmouth N.S., Canada *
*  Fax   (902)468-3679                    B3B 1S8                *