[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA Telnet coexists with Banyan?

snguyen1@orion.oac.uci.edu (Son Nguyen) (01/17/91)

Hello,

I have a couple questions:

Is it possible to run NCSA Telnet concurrently with Banyan (ala packet driver
for Telnet and Novell)?

Is there a Banyan mailing list or newsgroup available? and how do I subscribe?

Also, are there any Banyan users out there?

Thank you in advance,

Son Nguyen
snguyen@orion.oac.uci

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (01/20/91)

In article <27949163.15559@orion.oac.uci.edu> snguyen1@orion.oac.uci.edu (Son Nguyen) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have a couple questions:
>
>Is it possible to run NCSA Telnet concurrently with Banyan (ala packet driver
>for Telnet and Novell)?

I don't think so.  I have not been able to get it to work.

>Is there a Banyan mailing list or newsgroup available? and how do I subscribe?

Not that I know of, perhaps we should start one.

>Also, are there any Banyan users out there?

Yes.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
               andrew@calvin.doc.CA    andrew@doccrc.BITNET

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan19.204211.10935@rick.doc.ca> andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>In article <27949163.15559@orion.oac.uci.edu> snguyen1@orion.oac.uci.edu (Son Nguyen) writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a couple questions:
>>
>>Is it possible to run NCSA Telnet concurrently with Banyan (ala packet driver
>>for Telnet and Novell)?
>
>I don't think so.  I have not been able to get it to work.

There is at least one, and possiblely three ways:

1. Hughes Lan Systems Prolinc (a set of NDIS drivers, PC/TCP and Maridian LAT),
has a NDIS driver for Banyan Vines (4.0 P0,1&2). You need to run NCSA on FTP's
dis-pkt.dos that will then allow it to run concurrently with the Hughes stack
on an NDIS MAC driver. (this puppy will allow you to concurrently run Lan Man,
Netware and Vines).

The next two exist, but havn't been varified:

2. Banyan's Vines 4.0 Patch 2 supports a multiprotocol NDIS interface (prior
Patch 1 beta NDIS drivers didn't support MULTIPLE protocols - only Vines.
Banyan states that the P2 NDIS driver does). You connect NCSA to the NDIS
stack the same way as #1.

3. Cabletron is reported to have a Vines 4.0 patch that is The Packet Driver
Interface (so claims some Banyan users and Banyan). This would allow both
Vines and NCSA to run on a Packet Driver. Banyan MAY include it in a future
Patch level).

>>Is there a Banyan mailing list or newsgroup available? and how do I subscribe?
>
>Not that I know of, perhaps we should start one.

Yes, on Compuserve (GO BANYAN).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

jabusch@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Jabusch) (01/23/91)

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:

>In article <27949163.15559@orion.oac.uci.edu> snguyen1@orion.oac.uci.edu (Son Nguyen) writes:

>>Is there a Banyan mailing list or newsgroup available? and how do I subscribe?

yes.  send e-mail to Al Herbert (herbert@akronvm).  He's maintaining a BITNET
list, which a lot of people have already subscribed to.  Officially, he's
the University of Akron's Manager of Academic Systems.

--

John W. Jabusch					US Army Construction
INTERNET: jabusch@cerl.cecer.army.mil    	Engineering Resesarch Lab

BEEBE@yalemed.bitnet (Rick Beebe) (01/29/91)

>>Is there a Banyan mailing list or newsgroup available? and how do I subscribe?
>
>Not that I know of, perhaps we should start one.

Check out BANYAN@AKRONVM or BANYAN@WCU. I believe (but am not sure) that they
are echos of the same list. Subscribe the same way you subscribed to this list.
Something like "send listserv@akronvm sub banyan <your name>" or "tell listserv
at akronvm sub banyan <your name>".

                                Rick Beebe                    (203) 785-4566
 *****  *****  *****  *   *     Biomedical Computing Unit
   *      *    *      **  *     Yale University School of Medicine
   *      *    ***    * * *     333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06514
   *      *    *      *   *     BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET
                                beebe%biomed.decnet@venus.ycc.yale.edu