[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Kermit and such over Telnet sessions

medin@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (02/01/91)

Hi folks.  I have a peculiar problem that needs solving.  NASA has some popular
BBS systems that is only support RS232 connections (basically, the BBS software
runs on toy computers - No real OS), but people want Internet access to these
resources.  So we wired up some of the RS232 ports to some Annex terminal
servers, and played some rotary games so that users can telnet directly
to an address that looks like they telnet to the BBS system.

The problem is, people then try and ftp to that address, and well, that
doesn't work.  Many of the users have PC's they are telnetting from,
and so they don't have many options.  So, is there a TCP/IP package out there
that "connects" a telnet connection from the PC to a com: port, in such a
way that the PC user can run procomm or kermit or some such package, but
instead of dealing with a serial port, be fooled into running over a telnet
connection?  Thus they could telnet to the terminal server, be attached
to an RS232 port, and run kermit or ymodem, etc.. over the network
connection from their PC.  I doubt anything like this exists for Mac's, but
I'm hoping some vendor has such a package for the PC...

I know the right solution is to get rid of the toy computers running the BBS and
replace it with a real computer, but the people who take care of such beasts
didn't exactly write the BBS software to be portable, and they don't want to
invest money in rewriting the BBS software for Unix...  Oh yes, they don't
just want to make all the files anonymously FTP'able from another system, because
they want to keep track of what BBS users are grabbing what files, etc...

Any help or ideas would be appreciated...

							Thanks,
							    Milo

PS Usual disclaimers apply.

dsc3rjs@NMDSC20.NMDSC.NNMC.NAVY.MIL (Bob Stratton) (02/01/91)

   Date: 1 Feb 91 06:44:25 GMT
   From: "Milo S. Medin" <nsipo.arc.nasa.gov!medin@icarus.riacs.edu>
   Sender: pcip-request@udel.edu

    <stuff deleted>

   So, is there a TCP/IP package out there that "connects" a telnet
   connection from the PC to a com: port, in such a way that the PC
   user can run procomm or kermit or some such package, but instead of
   dealing with a serial port, be fooled into running over a telnet
   connection?

FTP Software's PC/TCP product contains a TELNET client that does what
you require, using the INT14 hooks. If you have a terminal emulator
that understands INT14 (I've tested Crosstalk Mark 4, and several
MS-KERMITs), you can TELNET to a host, have the terminal emulator
fire up, and do anything you could do over a 9600 baud modem
connection.

I've found this to be an extremely useful piece of functionality. If
you want more info, just ask 'info@ftp.com'...

[I don't work for FTP, but I'm a very satisfied customer]

Bob Stratton		| strat@ai.mit.edu       [Internet]
Stratton Systems Design	| dsc3rjs@vmnmdsc        [BITNET,only if you must]
			| +1 703 823 MIND        [PSTNet]
Disclaimer: The above opinions are mine alone - Who else would want them?

jackson@acf4.NYU.EDU (Robert Max Jackson) (02/03/91)

	Can anyone recommend terminal emulation programs supporting
INT14 that can handle the Zmodem transfer protocol.  I have the FTP
software package and Columbia's Kermit terminal emulator works well
with FTP's telnet program designed for this purpose.  However, I need
to be able to access some bulletin boards via modems on a TCP/IP
network and do transfers using Zmodem (as the boards don't have
Kermit capacity).

jackson@acf4.NYU.EDU (Robert Max Jackson) (02/03/91)

From jackson@acf4.NYU.EDU  Sat Feb  2 19:00:22 1991
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 91 19:00:16 -0500