[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Routing TCP-IP between token ring & ethernet w/Novell?

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.060836.9061@athena.mit.edu> toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) writes:

>segment, bridged by a either/or (take your pick) a Novell file server running
>Advanced netware 2.15, rev C, or a Novell bridge, built with the same netware.
>	So far, I have been able to access the unix host from DOS pc's on the
>same physical token ring.  I also can FTP amongst pc's on the ethernet segment.

Well, things are working just like they should. Novell's bridge isn't......
well....a bridge. It's really an IPX router and will only pass IPX traffic
(you're trying to pass tcp-ip traffic - won't work).

You could abandon the Novell 'bridges' and use a REAL ethernet to TR bridge
(like the IBM 8209).

You could also 'encapsulate' tcp-ip in ipx via the ipxpkt packet driver (see
the clarkson 'stuff for more detail), that would then allow the 'encapsulated'
"tcp-ip in ipx" pass through the Novell "bridges" (routers).

You would need to "de-incapsulate" the ipx/tcp-ip packets before passing it
on to your tcp-ip host. You could setup either KA9Q or the packet driver
version of PCBRIDGE to accomplish this (acting as a tcp-ip router between
your Netware lan and tcp-ip host).

What you are trying to do can be done - just not the way you're doing it.

>	As another note, I also have not been able to figure out how to use
>the generic packet driver with the Token ring NIC's on the unix hosts ring.
>I can only get the IBMTOKEN.COM driver to work.

I assume you're talking about FTP's PC/TCP. Version 2.05 Generic now ships
with a seperate Token Ring kernel for the packet driver (matter of fact they
ship seperate ethernet, token ring, SNAP, X.25 and slip kernels for packet
drivers in 2.05 generic - and I believe they've added a PPP kernel (James?)).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (02/04/91)

As of the moment, Netware file servers do not act as IP routers.  Banyan
VINES has had IP routing support in its servers for a couple of years.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

BEEBE@yalemed.bitnet (Rick Beebe) (02/05/91)

>       I apologize now if I'm bringing up a dead issue, but I am trying
>to determine whether or not I am doing anything wrong or impossible by trying
>to gain access to a unix host on a token ring from a DOS pc on an ethernet
>segment, bridged by a either/or (take your pick) a Novell file server running
>Advanced netware 2.15, rev C, or a Novell bridge, built with the same netware.
>       So far, I have been able to access the unix host from DOS pc's on the
>same physical token ring.  I also can FTP amongst pc's on the ethernet segment.
>I have not been able to make things work between the ethernet side to the token
>ring side, or on the token ring side, between two physical token rings bridged
>in the same above mentioned Novell server.  I am using NCSA Telnet 2.3b14 and
>the Clarkson packet drivers, version 7.0.  I also have done the patch to both
>the novell NET$OS.EX1 and BRIDGE.EXE files with econfig.exe.  Am I incorrectly
>expecting the Novell server to route the TCP-IP packets between the 3 physical
>networks (1 16MB Token Ring, 1 4MB Token Ring, 1 Thinet Ethernet Segment)?

Novell "bridges" are really routers, and they only route Novell's IPX packets.
In order to do what you want to, you'll need another computer with multiple
NICs and some routing software. One possibility is KA9Q (nos.exe) from Phil Karn
(available for FTP from thumper.bellcore.com). It also uses the packet drivers.

                                Rick Beebe                    (203) 785-4566
 *****  *****  *****  *   *     Biomedical Computing Unit
   *      *    *      **  *     Yale University School of Medicine
   *      *    ***    * * *     333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06514
   *      *    *      *  **
   *      *    *      *   *     BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET
                                beebe%biomed.decnet@venus.ycc.yale.edu

alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) (02/05/91)

NetWare servers will NOT route IP packets.  Sorry!

Alan
Alan Medsker                                 Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
Voice: (508) 480-0881                        293 Boston Post Road West
Fax: (508) 480-0882                          Marlboro, MA  01752
Internet: amedsker@Viewlogic.COM
cc:Mail: Alan Medsker at Viewlogic
CI$: 76376,662
BIX: amedsker
2 Meters: WB0SQR
My opinions, of course.  And don't hold me to them.

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (02/06/91)

Concerning multiple protocol stacks...is there a way to run PC-Lan and
TCP/IP at the same time on a PS/2 model 80?  It would solve a lot of
problems if I could somehow do that.  And please, no comments about
PC-Lan.  It is part of a commercial product we bought and I have no
choice about it.  It stays.  Other compatible things can be added but
it can't be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

I should note...I don't know what PC-Lan is running on but the TCP/IP
would be on 802.3 ethernet with hopefully Sun PC-NFS over it.

BHOLMES@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Brian (Thumper) Holmes, WSU/C&IT) (02/07/91)

In article <38941@cup.portal.com>, FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois)
says:

>Concerning multiple protocol stacks...is there a way to run PC-Lan and
>TCP/IP at the same time on a PS/2 model 80?  It would solve a lot of
>problems if I could somehow do that.  And please, no comments about
>PC-Lan.  It is part of a commercial product we bought and I have no
>choice about it.  It stays.  Other compatible things can be added but
>it can't be replaced.

KA9Q with the appropriate packet drivers can do this.
Get KA9Q from thumper.bellcore.com and the packet driver
collection from sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (02/08/91)

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) writes:

Mucho deletions
>Am I incorrectly
>expecting the Novell server to route the TCP-IP packets between the 3 physical
>networks (1 16MB Token Ring, 1 4MB Token Ring, 1 Thinet Ethernet Segment)?

Novell does not route IP packets: Use an external router.
(FTP's PC/TCP product for OS/2 should work!)
or try pcroute.