[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] UB NIC PS/2 packet driver

scotty@NEGRIL.CS.UOGUELPH.CA (Steve Howie) (02/15/91)

Anyone kwnow if there are any packet drivers for the Ungerman-Bass
NIC PS/2 cards floating around?

Thanx,

Scotty

scotty@negril.cs.uoguelph.ca

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (02/15/91)

In article <9102141828.AA03040@negril.cs.uoguelph.ca>, scotty@NEGRIL.CS.UOGUELPH.CA (Steve Howie) writes:

> Anyone kwnow if there are any packet drivers for the Ungerman-Bass
> NIC PS/2 cards floating around?

The latest version of the packet drivers (Verison 8) has just been released.
It has the UB NICps driver you need.  Wish I had as much luck.

One fine day I tried to use the NICps driver.  The very next day I learned
from the tech support people that the machines in my lab have NIUps cards.
These are two very different animals, I've been told.  I took the liberty
to examine the card.  A daughter board has been attached to the main board
near the AUI connector. It contains, among other things, an 82586 chip and
a PAL or two.  My question is this:  Is this daughter board the only thing
that makes it an NIU card?  If the board were removed, would it become a
NIC?  Tech support either doesn't know or isn't allowed to tell me.
UB's Telnet and FTP are almost as bad as Sun's, and I would love to install
a packet driver to use NCSA's or Clarkson's programs.

While I'm on the subject of UB's software, I would like to know how to
interface other network cards with UB's funky MS-NET variant, UB-NET.
I'm using the TCP version, and a memo I've received says that another board
can use UB-NET through an NDIS driver.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what