[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Mail gateway to WP Office

HENRYM@SACWMS.MP.USBR.GOV (02/13/91)

	We currently have a number of Novell file servers, running
Word Perfect Office as a "shell".  Very recently, it has become
desirable to be able to redirect mail from other systems, i.e., VMSMAIL,
SMTP, UUCP, etc. to the Novell servers into into the Word Perfect Office
mail system.  I have done some preliminary investigation, however the
documentation set I was given was incomplete.  According to what I have
read, there is supposedly a set of mail gateway software available from
Word Perfect to allow this mail gatewaying functionality.  However, I
think the less I say about my previous contacts with the Word Perfect
support people, the better.

	So, is anyone out there currently working is such an environment
that I have described?  Any pointers, opinions, etc. would be greatly
appreciated.

-HWM
----------
Henry W. Miller
Assistant Systems Manager, Mid Pacific Region
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
2800 Cottage Way MP1100
Sacramento, CA 95825
(916) 978-5108 / FTS 460-5108
Inet:	"henrym@sacwms.mp.usbr.gov"
BITNET:	"hmiller@scu"
UUCP:	"...caldwr!sanj!henrym"

"Bad guys abuse public land, good guys save it."

WILLIAMS.R.B@P9955.WLU.EDU (02/14/91)

Wordperfect Corporation's Gateway Products support number is
801-226-6944.  I talked to them a few months ago about an
SMTP-TCP/IP gateway for WP Office Mail.  At that time there
were no firm plans for that type of product.  My **for what it's
worth** personal opinion is there is not enough demand for
this product to justify the R&D.  In the mean time, we're
looking at other e-mail solutions.

Bob Williams
Washington & Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
703-463-8743
williams.r.b at p9955.wlu.edu

"People who live in glass houses should dress in the basement."
-Alfred E. Newman-

chee@UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU (Brian Chee) (02/15/91)

I am also invenstigating using the word perfect office environment for
some departments on the UH Manoa campus.  However the SMTP gateway option
for the "connection" server does not exist yet.  I have been in contact
with one of the authors of "Office" and he has promised to get back to
me with some concrete info someday soon.  Probably after networld.  So
when I get it, and if he agrees to let me release it, I will place it onto
the internet.  Otherwise if Charon or etc has an MHS module, this will
also work, as the "Connection" server already has an MHS module shipping.
/brian

baird2@lincoln.ac.nz (02/15/91)

In article <9102130021.aa07128@louie.udel.edu>, HENRYM@SACWMS.MP.USBR.GOV writes:

> 	We currently have a number of Novell file servers, running
> Word Perfect Office as a "shell".  Very recently, it has become
> desirable to be able to redirect mail from other systems, i.e., VMSMAIL,
> SMTP, UUCP, etc. to the Novell servers into into the Word Perfect Office
> mail system.  I have done some preliminary investigation, however the
> documentation set I was given was incomplete.  According to what I have
> read, there is supposedly a set of mail gateway software available from
> Word Perfect to allow this mail gatewaying functionality.  However, I
> think the less I say about my previous contacts with the Word Perfect
> support people, the better.
>
> 	So, is anyone out there currently working is such an environment
> that I have described?  Any pointers, opinions, etc. would be greatly
> appreciated.

I read somewhere recently that Word Perfect are working on an SMTP
gateway, but that it was a low-priority project.

An organisation just across the road from here has ordered an MHS <-> SMTP
gateway to allow them to send/receive Internet mail from WP office, but
I dont have any details other than the fact it costs about $US2,000.
E-mail me direct if you want me to get more info on this.

An alternative would be to scrap WP office, and use David Harris' Pegasus
mail in conjunction with Brad Clement's Charon gateway!!!!

   John Baird                           Internet:   J.Baird@lincoln.ac.nz
   Senior Computer Consultant           CompuServe: 75360,35
   Centre for Computing & Biometrics    Phone:      (64) (3) 252-811
   Lincoln University                   Fax:        (64) (3) 252-944
   Canterbury
   New Zealand