[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3c503 etherus interruptus

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (02/04/91)

I am having problems with 3c503s interfering with serial ports, both in Xenix
and MS-DOS.  I believe it has to do with interrupts.

I can't RTFM, as I do not have the documentation for the 3c503s, having gotten
them at a discount shop which buys by the carton.  As far as I can tell (aided
by the NCSA notes), the 3c503 (as opposed to the 3c501) has no jumpers for
interrupt or DMA address selection, but controls these by software.  My sad
story is as follows (sounds of violin are heard):

Xenix (2.3.3 and TCP 1.0.1b with all the latest XNXs)

When TCP is installed and configured, it runs just fine (name service,
resolver, and all), but tty2a/tty2A is dead as a doornail while tty1a/1A is
fine.  Note that tty2a uses Int-3, and tty1a uses Int-4.  The 3comB was
configured (at device install time, mkdev 3comB) to use interrupt 2.

I tried a kernel with the 3com configured in but not starting TCP (by not
starting any of the Streams or TCP deamons and not running ifconfig) but still
no go.  If have the 3comB driver in the kernel at all, then tty2a/2A does not
work, although tty1a/1A does.

DOS

If I use NCSA ftp or telnet with CONFIG.TEL saying to use Int-2, both of the
serial ports (COM1: and COM2:) are useless (by my interrupt-driven FOSSIL
software) until I power cycle the box (no reset button available).

The same software with a 3c501 jumpered for Int-2 causes no problems.

So what am I doing wrongly this time?

Thanks.

--
Randy Bush  / news@psg.com  / ..!uunet!m2xenix!news

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (02/07/91)

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:

>I am having problems with 3c503s interfering with serial ports, both in Xenix
>and MS-DOS.  I believe it has to do with interrupts.
>If I use NCSA ftp or telnet with CONFIG.TEL saying to use Int-2, both of the
>serial ports (COM1: and COM2:) are useless (by my interrupt-driven FOSSIL
>software) until I power cycle the box (no reset button available).

>The same software with a 3c501 jumpered for Int-2 causes no problems.

The 3C503 defaults to interrupt 3.  If you're using a DEVICE=ETH503.SYS
in your config.sys, you'll need to specify interrupt 2 there:
DEVICE=ETH503.SYS /I:2

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu

karn@epic.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.144231.1699@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
|> The 3C503 defaults to interrupt 3.  If you're using a
DEVICE=ETH503.SYS
|> in your config.sys, you'll need to specify interrupt 2 there:
|> DEVICE=ETH503.SYS /I:2

Be careful. Although it is not widely documented, VGA cards (and I
believe EGA) use IRQ2 to signal vertical retrace.

Phil

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.162601@epic.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com writes:
>Be careful. Although it is not widely documented, VGA cards (and I
>believe EGA) use IRQ2 to signal vertical retrace.

What exactly are the ramifications of this?  We've installed dozens and
dozens of Cabletron cards configured for IRQ 2 all over our net.

How many applications use the vertical retrace interrupt?

[I cut down the crossposting a bit.]

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services

newbery@stout.atd.ucar.edu (Santiago Newbery) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.162601@epic.bellcore.com>, karn@epic.bellcore.com
(Phil R. Karn) writes:
|>DEVICE=ETH503.SYS
|>
|>Be careful. Although it is not widely documented, VGA cards (and I
|>believe EGA) use IRQ2 to signal vertical retrace.
|>
|>Phil

The above is true, however most current VGA cards (Orchid Pro Des II,
Video 7 VGA 1024i, etc.) come with IRQ 2 disabled by default.
As stated in their doc, it only needs to be enabled (via jumper/switch)
for *old* S/W that requires the vert. retrace interrupt.

Santiago

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (02/12/91)

In <1991Feb8.162601@epic.bellcore.com> karn@epic.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:

>In article <1991Feb7.144231.1699@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>|> The 3C503 defaults to interrupt 3.  If you're using a
>DEVICE=ETH503.SYS
>|> in your config.sys, you'll need to specify interrupt 2 there:
>|> DEVICE=ETH503.SYS /I:2

>Be careful. Although it is not widely documented, VGA cards (and I
>believe EGA) use IRQ2 to signal vertical retrace.

EGA cards used IRQ2/9 for the retrace interrupt. Any decent VGA cards either
have this disabled by default or have an option to disable it. It is not
necessary and as you have noticed, gobbles up a *valuable* interrupt line.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

ericd@sco.COM (Eric Davis) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb8.162601@epic.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com writes:
>Be careful. Although it is not widely documented, VGA cards (and I
>believe EGA) use IRQ2 to signal vertical retrace.

I have seen a very few EGA cards and no VGA's that do.
I also have never had trouble installing a ether card on int 2.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ericd

Eric Davis                      () INTERNET -=> ericd@sco.COM
Technical Support Engineer II   () UUCP     -=> {uunet|sun|att|ucsc}!sco!ericd
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.  ()=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

mark@TELESYS.NCSC.NAVY.MIL ("Mark L. Williams") (02/14/91)

Randy Bush  / news@psg.com  / ..!uunet!m2xenix!news writes...

> I am having problems with 3c503s interfering with serial ports, both in Xenix
> and MS-DOS.  I believe it has to do with interrupts.

The 3C503 manual verifies that DMA and interrupts are set by software.  The
interrupt level is 3 by default.  That accounts for the conflict on your
serial ports, I believe.  Unfortunately, I don't know the software you're
using well enough to offer configuration fixes.  Be advised, though, that
proper drivers using the correct options can reset the interrupts as desired.

Sorry I don't have more...

Mark L. Williams
Head, Telecommunications Branch
Code 7630
Naval Coastal Systems Center
Panama City, FL 32407-5000
(mark@telesys.ncsc.navy.mil)

eli@robechq.UUCP (Eli Levine) (02/15/91)

In article <14518@scorn.sco.COM> ericd@sco.COM (Eric Davis) writes:

>In article <1991Feb8.162601@epic.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com writes:
>>Be careful. Although it is not widely documented, VGA cards (and I
>>believe EGA) use IRQ2 to signal vertical retrace.
>
>I have seen a very few EGA cards and no VGA's that do.
>I also have never had trouble installing a ether card on int 2.
>
>Eric Davis                      () INTERNET -=> ericd@sco.COM
>Technical Support Engineer II   () UUCP     -=> {uunet|sun|att|ucsc}!sco!ericd
>The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.  ()=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Most surprising Eric.  At Robec, we've found it to be a
common problem.  The odd part I'd like to add is that I've
never seen an EGA do it, but VGA conflicts seem common.  :-(

Eli Levine @Robec Distributors

brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb3.225956.28698@m2xenix.psg.com> news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:
>Xenix (2.3.3 and TCP 1.0.1b with all the latest XNXs)
>
>When TCP is installed and configured, it runs just fine (name service,
>resolver, and all), but tty2a/tty2A is dead as a doornail while tty1a/1A is
>fine.  Note that tty2a uses Int-3, and tty1a uses Int-4.  The 3comB was
>configured (at device install time, mkdev 3comB) to use interrupt 2.

When I used a WD8003 on a Xenix system, the kernel I was running saw the
ethernet board at I/O address 0x280, and thought it was a TANDON multiport
board! From /usr/adm/messages:

%fpu      -		35	-	type=80387
%floppy   0x3F2-0x3F7	06	2	unit=0 type=96ds15
%floppy   -		-	-	unit=1 type=135ds18
%serial   0x3F8-0x3FF	04	-	unit=0 type=Standard nports=1
%serial   0x280-0x287	03	-	unit=1 type=TANDON nports=4
%parallel 0x3BC-0x3BE	07	-	unit=1

There went /dev/tty2* ("COM2"). If the board comes up defaulting to that
address, your Xenix may also see it as a TANDON board. Check /usr/adm/messages
for something like the above.

To solve it, what I did was to go into /usr/sys/io, and edit sioconf.c so
that any boards which had an address in that range, and deleted the line so
the kernel wouldn't auto configure that board.

I can't help you with the DOS problem, sorry.

Rich
--
brennan@merk.com	...!uunet!merk!brennan		Rich Brennan