[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Using KA9Q with CD-ROM drive ??

tim@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (02/19/91)

I would like to make a CD-ROM disk available via ftp.  I tried using
KA9Q but when an ftp client uses the 'dir' or 'ls' command KA9Q tries
to create a temp file on the ROM disk, ha, ha.  I like KA9Q because it
will support concurrent ftp sessions and has some password/directory
security.

Has anybody made a CD-ROM accessiable through ftp?  What did you use?

Thanks!

Tim Lange.

Purdue U. Computing Center/ENAD Bldg./W. Lafayette, IN  47907/317-494-1787
Internet=tim@cc.purdue.edu  Bitnet=TIM@PURCCVM  CIS=75410,525

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (02/19/91)

In article <6206@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> tim@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) writes:
>I would like to make a CD-ROM disk available via ftp.  I tried using
>KA9Q but when an ftp client uses the 'dir' or 'ls' command KA9Q tries
>to create a temp file on the ROM disk, ha, ha.

One option is to make your current disk something other than the CD-ROM,
then use the msdos "join" command to make the CD-ROM disk appear as a
subdirectory under your writeable disk.  Russ Nelson has some patches to
KA9Q (they may already have been merged into the master source by Phil)
that make this work better/easier.

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@sunee.waterloo.edu OR broehl@sunee.UWaterloo.ca

In article <1991Feb19.144240.8523@watserv1.waterloo.edu> broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:

   then use the msdos "join" command to make the CD-ROM disk appear as a
   subdirectory under your writeable disk.  Russ Nelson has some patches to
   KA9Q (they may already have been merged into the master source by Phil)
   that make this work better/easier.

Nope.  They make undocumented calls to MSDOS, and Phil didn't like them.
That's his option, of course.  Fortunately, his source is available, so
you can just fetch my patches from sun.soe.clarkson.edu:pub/ka9q/diffs.arc.
They're kind of old but most of them should still work, esp. the join
patches in question.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson