[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Novell-IXP, TCP, 3C503 & boot ROMs

paul@ob1.uws.EDU.AU (Paul Hardaker) (02/15/91)

The scene:

- We have an extensive local area Ethernet network using both 10Base2 and
10BaseT.

- Numerous PC's equipped with 3Com 3c503 (EtherLink II) cards (Coax/TP
where appropriate).

- Various local TCP/IP hosts (and direct access to TCP Internet services)
via Telnet, FTP, SMTP, etc.

- Recently purchased copies of Novell Netware V2.15.

What We'd like to do:

Have the PC's connected to the local Novell servers (and shared printers)
using IPX while allowing Telnet, FTP and POPmail access to local and remote
TCP/IP hosts. In a number of cases PCs will need to be ROM booted.

What I *think* I've figured out so far:

1. I use the Brigham Young University Netware shell for the Clarkson packet
driver to build the workstation shells.

2. This requires that I ECONFIG all my Novell servers to convert them from the
default IEEE 802.3 protocol to Ethernet version 2 (I think this is because the
packet driver only supports Ethernet version 2).

3. My hard-disk workstations load the 3C503.COM packet driver, followed by
the BYU packet-driver IPX, and then NET3 (or NET4). They should then
be able to communicate normally with Netware servers and printers, and also
NCSA-Telnet, FTP or POPmail to TCP hosts (I hope).

**  THE PROBLEM!!

What about my diskless workstation which are to be ROM booted? There is a
utility ROMREL included with the Clarkson drivers which may be useful here,
but there is still a problem. The boot ROMs support the IEEE 802.3 protocol
only (or do they? - see below). So when I ECONFIG the servers to Ethernet
version 2, my boot ROM workstations can no longer communicate with them.

a) Is it possible to get Novell boot ROMs for the 3C503 which support
Ethernet version 2? This would seem to solve the problem. If so, does anyone
know where from / how much?

b) The clarkson packet drivers include a file NOVTCP.TXT which describes
how Wesleyan University overcame this exact problem, but using WD8003E
cards. In their case they obtained a version of the WD8003E packet driver
which performed (among other things) V.2 to 802.3 conversion allowing
them to leave their Novell servers unECONFIGed, and hence permitting
diskless workstations to communicate. Is there a similar "special" 3C503
packet driver available?

c) Any other alternatives?

Any assistance on this will be very much appriciated.

Paul Hardaker                                Internet:  P.Hardaker@uws.EDU.AU
Network Administrator                        Voice:     +61 45 70 1446
University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury     Fax:       +61 45 70 1431
RICHMOND  NSW  2754
Australia

johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb15.071400.10230@ob1.uws.EDU.AU>, paul@ob1.uws.EDU.AU
(Paul Hardaker) writes:
> What We'd like to do:
>
> Have the PC's connected to the local Novell servers (and shared printers)
> using IPX while allowing Telnet, FTP and POPmail access to local and remote
> TCP/IP hosts. In a number of cases PCs will need to be ROM booted.

Welcome to the club.

> What I *think* I've figured out so far:
>
> 1. I use the Brigham Young University Netware shell for the Clarkson packet
> driver to build the workstation shells.

Yes.

> 2. This requires that I ECONFIG all my Novell servers to convert them from the
> default IEEE 802.3 protocol to Ethernet version 2 (I think this is because the
> packet driver only supports Ethernet version 2).

Not required.  Get version 8 of the Clarkson packet driver collection.
Use the -n option.  From INSTALL.DOC:

          The -n option is used to convert IPX packets between the
          Ethernet II type 8137 encapsulation used by BYU's PDSHELL IPX
          interface code and the 802.3-style encapsulation normally used
          on Ethernet by Netware servers, shells and boot PROMs.  It will
          also convert incoming type 8137 packets to type 8138 so that
          Netware doesn't get confused.

> 3. My hard-disk workstations load the 3C503.COM packet driver, followed by
> the BYU packet-driver IPX, and then NET3 (or NET4).

> What about my diskless workstation which are to be ROM booted?

Use the -d and -n options.  From INSTALL.DOC:

          The -d option is used to delay the initialization of the
          Ethernet card until the packet driver is used for the first
          time.  See PROMBOOT.NOT for how to use -d and -n in a PROM boot
          environment.

> There is a
> utility ROMREL included with the Clarkson drivers ...
> b) The clarkson packet drivers include a file NOVTCP.TXT ...

ROMREL.* and NOVTCP.TXT aren't in the Clarkson collection any more.
I think the -n and -d options are a better way to go, but I'm biased. :-)

	John
--
John Mann, Leader - Networking Section  | johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Computer Centre, Monash University      | phone: +61 3 565 4774

cws@FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) (02/21/91)

    >> 2. This requires that I ECONFIG all my Novell servers to
    >> convert them from the default IEEE 802.3 protocol to Ethernet
    >> version 2 (I think this is because the packet driver only
    >> supports Ethernet version 2).

    > Not required.  Get version 8 of the Clarkson packet driver collection.
    > Use the -n option.  From INSTALL.DOC:

It was recently announced on another list that the version 8 drivers
do not work with the -n switch.  Version 9 should be available soon.

Cris Shuldiner						Product Support
cws@ftp.com						FTP Software, Inc.
Ph: (617) 246-2920					Fax: (617) 245-7943
"Nobody told me there'd be days like these. Strange Days Indeed."
							-John Lennon

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (02/24/91)

cws@FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) writes:

>    >> 2. This requires that I ECONFIG all my Novell servers to
>    >> convert them from the default IEEE 802.3 protocol to Ethernet
>    >> version 2 (I think this is because the packet driver only
>    >> supports Ethernet version 2).
>
>    > Not required.  Get version 8 of the Clarkson packet driver collection.
>    > Use the -n option.  From INSTALL.DOC:
>
>It was recently announced on another list that the version 8 drivers
>do not work with the -n switch.  Version 9 should be available soon.

In the interim, try Version 7 if you can find them - the 503 driver does
work with the -n option (at least, it seems to for me....).

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk