[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SLIP gateway

keng@zcar.asd.sgi.com (Ken Greenebaum) (02/26/91)

Hello,
   I am not familiar with the capabilaties of the various public-domain
pc TCP packages.  However if possible I would like to configure one to
turn a 286 (or 8086??) based PC with a wd8003e ethernet board into a SLIP
gateway.
Hopefully this would allow a TCP based workstation without SLIP capabilities
to automagicaly access another network connected by a demand SLIP connection.

  -Is this possible?

  -What software should I aquire/use (ka9q, pcip, etc.)

  -I currently have PCNFS for the PC, is there any way to make it fn in this
   manner?

  -I assume that the PC will become a dedicated router and won't be able to
   do anything else (as DOS is not multi-tasking)

  -Should I just get a 386 PC and run Unix on it to do the routing
   correctly?

Thanks for any information.

								-Ken

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.225814.2089@odin.corp.sgi.com> keng@zcar.asd.sgi.com (Ken Greenebaum) writes:
>if possible I would like to configure one to
>turn a 286 (or 8086??) based PC with a wd8003e ethernet board into a SLIP
>gateway.

Easy -- just use NOS (a descendent of KA9Q).  It's on thumper.bellcore.com
in the pub/ka9q directory.  It supports dial-up SLIP, and will support the
wd8003e with a packet driver (available from Clarkson).

>  -I assume that the PC will become a dedicated router and won't be able to
>   do anything else (as DOS is not multi-tasking)

You could run it as an FTP server, a mailbox server (using SMTP and POP),
have it pick up news from a remote host, and run a simple BBS all at the

>  -Should I just get a 386 PC and run Unix on it to do the routing
>   correctly?

If you have lots of money to spend, sure.

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@sunee.waterloo.edu OR broehl@sunee.UWaterloo.ca