[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Recent Dev. of PC/IP

steve@johnson.jvnc.net ("Steven L. Johnson") (02/22/91)

Could someone provide or point me to a summary of history and the
current versions of the various PC/IP developments.  I have seen
references to 'updated CMU/MIT PC/IP', but don't know where it
can be found.  Also, I had a recent request for 'Stan's NFS Clone'.
This is the first that I had heard of a PD version of NFS available
for IBM PC's.

-Steve

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (02/24/91)

In article <302@johnson.jvnc.net> steve@johnson.jvnc.net ("Steven L. Johnson") writes:
>Could someone provide or point me to a summary of history and the
>current versions of the various PC/IP developments.

Here's my guess at the history, based on what I've seen on the net and in
PC/IP documentation and source.

--------------------------------
PUBLICLY AVAILABLE VERSIONS:

First there was MIT PC/IP, written in the early 1980's.  At the time, no
C compilers existed for PC's, so it was cross-compiled from a VAX.  MIT
PC/IP had the noted limitation of supporting only one TCP connection at
a time, which meant that its telnet could support only one connection.
An FTP implementation was impossible.

After that, CMU started doing some PC/IP development.  I think they were
the ones who provided support for multiple TCP connections.  I don't know
much about what else CMU added, but I think they also added lpr support.

PC/IP development then branched into a number of parallel versions.
Stanford picked it up and built SU-PC/IP, which used a TSR for its TCP/IP
kernel.  Stanford also added mailer support (PC/MH) and TN3270 support.
Stanford's version of PC/IP is not freely available, but can be licensed
by educational institutions.

Harvard took CMU-PC/IP and a collection of add-ons that had been written
elsewhere and pulled it all together (with code of their own) to make
Harvard-PC/IP.  This is probably the most capable freely-available PC/IP.
(Harvard also added packet driver support.)

The University of Maryland rewrote CMU-PC/IP to make MD-DOS/IP, which features
a multiple-TSR protocol stack, NFS support, mail support, and lots of other
nifty things.  It is not freely available, but can be licensed by educational
institutions.

IN-HOUSE VERSIONS AND OTHER CURIOSITIES:

Case Western Reserve licensed Stanford's PC/IP and added packet driver
support, an elm-like mailer, an improved telnet, and many bugfixes.  This
is a strictly in-house version which is not being distributed off-campus.

According to stories I've heard, some of the people from MIT who originally
wrote PC/IP went on to found FTP Software, Inc. and to write PC/TCP.  (I'm
sure I'll be corrected on this one if I'm wrong!  :-)

HOLES IN THE DESCRIPTION:

Who first added TFTP to PC/IP, and who took it out?  I still see references
to it in the CWRU-PC/IP code I maintain.

What other in-house versions exist?

There you go.  I make no claims that it's accurate or correct, since I
probably made a number of errors.  If any readers of this would like to
correct my errors or omissions, I'll be happy to update the description.

I think that the "updated CMU/MIT PC/IP" you are looking for is probably
Harvard PC/IP, since I have seen it billed as such.  Stan's Own NFS Server
(SOS) is included in Harvard PC/IP, but it's an NFS server only.  For NFS
client support, you'll need to look into MD-DOS/IP or something commercial.

(Of course, the XDR and RPC parts of SOS might be quite interesting.)

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services

romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey) (02/25/91)

   Date: 23 Feb 91 17:03:39 GMT
   From: "Stephen C. Trier" <decwrl!gatech.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!cwlim!trier>
   Sender: pcip-request@udel.edu

   According to stories I've heard, some of the people from MIT who originally
   wrote PC/IP went on to found FTP Software, Inc. and to write PC/TCP.  (I'm
   sure I'll be corrected on this one if I'm wrong!  :-)

Yes, you're right, some of us did.

   HOLES IN THE DESCRIPTION:

   Who first added TFTP to PC/IP, and who took it out?  I still see references
   to it in the CWRU-PC/IP code I maintain.

It was there in the first releases from MIT; I don't know where it
went.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	FAX: 415 594-1141

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (02/28/91)

Some random points:

PC-IP's multiple-connection TCP was written at MIT long ago, but never really
debugged until Dan Lanciani included it in the most recent Harvard version.
Unless it's changed a lot from what we began with, it is slow and lacks many
important features like adaptive retransmit.

The Packet Driver interface for PC-IP was done by Karl Auerbach while he was
doing consulting work for TRW.

Drew Perkins at CMU was responsible for the port to MSC 3.0.  I believe the
Harvard version is built with MSC 5.1.  PC-IPs have always been small-model
(the tasker and the ASM glue routines only understand that memory model).

Wollongong shipped various PC-IP derived products, first based on the MIT
version, later on the SU version.  Bridge also shipped SU-derived products,
but I don't think current DOS TCP/IPs from either TWG or 3Com have much of
any PC-IP heritage.  Sun's PC-NFS had a little PC-IP in it at one point.
IBM's TCP/IP for DOS was an earlier version of the UMD code, closer to its
CMU ancestry.  IBM has also followed a line of development based on an
early port of the MIT PC-IP to Xenix through to their current AIX TCP/IP.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb23.170339.2144@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) writes:
|> In article <302@johnson.jvnc.net> steve@johnson.jvnc.net ("Steven L. Johnson") writes:
|> >Could someone provide or point me to a summary of history and the
|> >current versions of the various PC/IP developments.
|>
|> [stuff blown away]
|>
|> --------------------------------
|> PUBLICLY AVAILABLE VERSIONS:
|>
|> Harvard took CMU-PC/IP and a collection of add-ons that had been written
|> elsewhere and pulled it all together (with code of their own) to make
|> Harvard-PC/IP.  This is probably the most capable freely-available PC/IP.
|> (Harvard also added packet driver support.)

Where, pray tell, might I be able to FTP this from (now that you've told me how good it is
:-)?

Alan

Alan Medsker                                 Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
Voice: (508) 480-0881                        293 Boston Post Road West
Fax: (508) 480-0882                          Marlboro, MA  01752
Internet: amedsker@Viewlogic.COM
cc:Mail: Alan Medsker at Viewlogic
CI$: 76376,662
BIX: amedsker
2 Meters: WB0SQR
My opinions, of course.  And don't hold me to them.

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (02/28/91)

alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) writes, in reference to Harvard PC/IP:
>Where, pray tell, might I be able to FTP this from?

husc6.harvard.edu, I believe.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)
This package isn't a cure-all for PC/IP woes, but it is good.  (The code's
clean, too!)

--

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb28.035850.11625@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) writes:
>alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) writes, in reference to Harvard PC/IP:
>>Where, pray tell, might I be able to FTP this from?
>
>husc6.harvard.edu, I believe.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

No correction needed, that is correct.

>This package isn't a cure-all for PC/IP woes, but it is good.  (The code's
>clean, too!)

Not true!!!!!!!!

And believe me, I know - I based my recently announced Snuz on this. This stuff
contains tons of unportable assumptions (i.e. sizeof int == sizeof char *
== 2) (much of it totally unrelated to the clearly machine-dependent
interrupt stuff). It also has things passed as ints from one module
to another module that expects a char *. The proper header files
are frequently left out. The documentation is poor.

Doug McDonald

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (03/01/91)

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

> And believe me, I know - I based my recently announced Snuz on this. This
> stuff contains tons of unportable assumptions

Did you fix these problems when writing snuz, or did you just work within
those constraints ?  Because if you've fixed them, I know someone
who might be glad to take your work off you .....

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)