[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Clarkson Pkt Problem...

mock@watt.support.Corp.Sun.COM (Joseph Mocker) (02/28/91)

Hi all you netters....

I've been hacking around with the Clarkson Packet drivers for a bit and have
been encountering a strange problem with them..

I'm using the packet driver for the 3c503 (version 8.x).
What I'm doing is putting the interface in a 'promiscuous' mode, by
using set_rcv_mode(handle, 6)
My program runs for a while, then stops receiving packets from the
packet driver....If I quit my program and restart it works for a while
again; then stops....

I seem to notice this when one machine sends MTU size packets in quick
succession.

I have also noticed when using the NETCURE package...so I don't think it
is something I'm doing in my program....

any Ideas?

Joe Mocker//USAC//PC-NFS Support :: mock@Corp.Sun.COM :: Sun Microsystems Inc.

  :: there's still lofty dreams  ::  meager desires  ::  still sillyness ::

etstjan@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl (Jan van Oorschot) (03/02/91)

mock@watt.support.Corp.Sun.COM (Joseph Mocker) writes:

Hi,

>I've been hacking around with the Clarkson Packet drivers for a bit and have
>been encountering a strange problem with them..

>I'm using the packet driver for the 3c503 (version 8.x).
>What I'm doing is putting the interface in a 'promiscuous' mode, by
>using set_rcv_mode(handle, 6)
>My program runs for a while, then stops receiving packets from the
>packet driver....If I quit my program and restart it works for a while
>again; then stops....

>I seem to notice this when one machine sends MTU size packets in quick
>succession.

>I have also noticed when using the NETCURE package...so I don't think it
>is something I'm doing in my program....

	We are the developers of NetCure / The Beholder, and have the same
	problems, but with the WD8003E driver, operating in 16-bit mode.
	The WD cards are the only ones we use.
	In our case, the software keeps running, intil The Beholder starts
	sending packages itself on reply of a SNMP request.
	The hangup seems to occur after a random period of time. The
	old WD driver (version 7.x) doesn't have this problem !
	I have downloaded the sources, but did not have the time to look
	in to it.

Jan

-- Ir. Jan van Oorschot.             --- Email: JPMvOorschot@et.tudelft.nl --
-- Data Network Performance Analysis Project                               --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --
-- P.O.Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands ------ Fax: (31)-15-784898 --