[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] HELP: PC/TCP over NDIS

david@hpss2.HP.COM (David OH) (02/26/91)

Got a problem I hope somebody can help with:

I'm trying to run PC/TCP (Rev 2.05) with LAN Manager over NDIS.  This
works fine when LM doesn't use TCP/IP for its transport.  LM can run
over several stacks, including XNS, NBP, TCP/IP and DLC.  When LM uses
TCP/IP, ie there are 2 TCP/IP stacks over NDIS, LM fails.

Does NDIS support dual TCP/IP stacks?  Is there a work-around for this?

david@hpss2.sgp.hp.com

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (02/28/91)

An NDIS driver sorts packets between stacks by offering them to the
stacks in turn. When a stack takes the packet, that's it. The packet
is gone. Running two TCP/IP stacks over an NDIS driver will always
create some problems, as some packets, intended for both stacks, will
only reach one. Still more lossage will be caused by one stack
erroneously accepting packets intended for the other. With two stacks
of the same type and the same IP address, identifying packets is a
problem. The usual result of this is that the stack loaded last gets
all the packets.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

(Queries about FTP Software's products can be sent to info@ftp.com.)

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (03/01/91)

    Does NDIS support dual TCP/IP stacks?  Is there a work-around for this?

NDIS does not guarantee that it can pass an incoming packet to more than
one protocol stack, so that's your first obstacle.  Your second obstacle
is that you need two IP addresses for the PC, if you propose to run two
separate IPs.  I'd recommend that you get our RFC 1001/1002 NETBIOS
product (ask for 2.05 pl 1, it will be out in a little while with several
important bug fixes) and run LM on it, and the PC/TCP stack instead.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

edmbv@fiol.UiB.NO (Bjorn Asle Valde) (03/05/91)

In article <9102281650.AA01299@ftp.com> jbvb@ftp.com writes:

>    Does NDIS support dual TCP/IP stacks?  Is there a work-around for this?
>
>NDIS does not guarantee that it can pass an incoming packet to more than
>one protocol stack, so that's your first obstacle.  Your second obstacle
>is that you need two IP addresses for the PC, if you propose to run two
>separate IPs.  I'd recommend that you get our RFC 1001/1002 NETBIOS
>product (ask for 2.05 pl 1, it will be out in a little while with several
>important bug fixes) and run LM on it, and the PC/TCP stack instead.

Will do. In the meantime perhaps you could share with us what NB clients
you have managed to get running on top off this; in particular howbout
Ms' LM-2.0 and HP lm/x clients (msdog versions). Thanks.

Bjorn Asle

--
Bjorn Asle Valde - Humble Programer
edmbv@fiol.uib.no X.400: S=Valde;OU=cc;O=uib;P=uninett;c=no