[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] graphic interface for ftp

SPGDRP@UCCVMA.UCOP.EDU ("Donald R. Proctor") (02/02/91)

Has anyone cobbled together a graphic interface for ftp under
DOS?  Not necessarily Windows, just something other than line
mode--

Thanks, Don.

crampton@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (David Crampton) (02/06/91)

  Toot, toot the HP horn! See product G1440A, G1481A, et al
known collectively as ChemLan from HP Analytical Products Group.
Intended to connect HP's Chemstations workstations, includes
now (or very soon) DOS Windows3 dialog shell for ftp. Allows
recursive tranfers with passwords and progress monitoring.
All this from me, a manufacturing guy who has looked briefly
at this product for an internal project.
Good luck.

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 02:40:41 GMT

In article   writes:
>Has anyone cobbled together a graphic interface for ftp under
>DOS?  Not necessarily Windows, just something other than line
>mode--

Yes, we designed one (as apposed to "cobbled" one :-). I'm not using
the royal "we" here, I didn't do it personally!  Our commercial TCP/IP
product for DOS, namely The LAN WorkPlace for DOS, contains a set of
utilities specifically designed for the Windows 3.0 environment. One of
them is an FTP client that allows you to shunt files around systems
just be pointing and clicking. All of the usual FTP transfer options
are available via pull down menus, buttons, dialogue boxes, etc... It
supports things we call host profiles (I dare say you can guess what
they are), automatic connects and logins, third party transfers, recursive
directory transfers and a few other nice bits and pieces. Recently, I've
taken to using it all the time (I was a hardened ftp> prompt user for
a long time).

I think we have our nose a little out in front on this one, with regard
to the other DOS TCPs in existance. I do however hear the patter of little
feet rounding the bend behind us :-)

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM