 From: jbreeden@netcom.com (John Breeden)
 Subject: Re: banyan packet driver for NCSA telnet?

 In article <MWILLS.91Feb12114017@x102a.harris-atd.com> you write:
 >Two questions:
 >
 >- Is there a packet driver which will allow NCSA telnet to work with
 >Banyan Vines?  My ethernet card is an NI5210.  Presently, I must
 >reboot without loading the banyan software in order to use NCSA
 >telnet.

 Yes, there are a few ways:

 1. Banyan has a MULTIPROTOCOL NDIS driver patch for Vines 4.0 (it's part of
 the Patch Level #2. Contact Banyan for the patch - make sure you ask for the
 MULTIPROTOCOL NDIS patch (the normal NDIS driver in patch #2 isn't
 multiprotocol).

 NCSA will talk to FTP's Packet Driver to NDIS driver adapter (dis_pkt.dos)
 which then will talk to the Banyan NDIS driver (dis_pkt.dos is on ftp.com).

 What you end up with is NCSA and Vines talking concurrently on an NDIS driver
 (MUST be NCSA 23b12 or later).

 2. The Cabletron Vines 4.0 patch is a packet driver interface for Banyan
 Vines. It'll let you run both Vines and NCSA concurrently on a packet driver
 (driver can be obtained from Banyan).

 3. Hughes Lan Systems' ProLinc 2.0 supplys an NDIS interface (via Hughes'
 MPD driver) for Banyan Vines (Patch 0,1 and 2). It also allows Vines and
 NCSA to run concurrently on an NDIS driver (it's a commercial product).

 >- How does one use alternate packet drivers (e.g. the w3pktdr2.zip
 >drivers modified for windows 3.0, found at ncsa's ftp site).  Are they
 >TSRs which must be loaded before the application program?  If so, will
 >a program like NCSA telnet, which seems to have built-in drivers, work
 >properly with them?

 Yes, Packet Drivers are loaded before applications (ie: NCSA). One of the
 "builtin" drivers in NCSA is a packet driver.

 --
  John Robert Breeden,
     jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

M. Scott Wills                    Harris Corporation
mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com       Government Aerospace Systems Division
uunet!x102a!mwills                Melbourne, Florida