[net.micro] Gemini 10X printer

dmt@ahutb.UUCP (dmt) (03/26/85)

In article <398@ahuta.UUCP> I wrote:

>>I also own a Star Gemini 10X. A couple of points you ought to know:
>>Unfortunately, there's bad news too:
>>-	It seems unduly sensitive to the feed angle of the paper, even
>>		with tractor feed. If the paper doesn't feed
>>		ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT IN, it goes to hell in a hurry
>>		(uneven line spacing, and even torn sprocket holes).

I got the following interesting mail, that I think I ought to share
(in atonement and gratitude):

>From: esfraga@watmath.UUCP (Eric S Fraga)
>I also own a Star Gemini 10x.  I had this very same problem when
>I first set it up.  The problem is that the printer allows for
>both friction feed and tractor feed.  When using tractor feed,
>the lever which controls the friction must be in the OFF position,
>else you get a conflict between the friction and the tractor!
>Anyway, mine now works like a charm and I highly recommend it.
>It's inexpensive, fast enough, quiet enough, and uses standard
>typewriter ribbons.

I followed this advice, and it's worked fine ever since.

>From: STEVE GRIMALDI <decvax!ucbvax!GRIM@UMD2.ARPA>
>
>I have a STAR GEMINI 15x, and have had similar problems when feeding
>continous forms into the GEMINI. The solution seems is to use the bottom
>feed slot, this provides excellent use with no jamming trouble. The rear
>feed is best used for single sheets since the paper is squeezed like in a
>typewriter. When feeding from the bottom, te printer just barely holds the
>paper, and it feeds freely.

I suspect this would work, too. It's the same principle as Eric's
suggestion.  However, the 10X, unlike the 15X,
doesn't have a bottom feed slot.

Thanks to both of you, and apologies to Star Micronics.
				Dave Tutelman