[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Another Problem with WinQVT/Net

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) (03/01/91)

I just received my registered copy of WinQVT/Net V1.5 I like
some of the new features, such as being able to load QVT/Net
without having to open a telnet session. I also like the fact
that QVT/Net can now handle RCP as well as FTP. However, I
think I have found a "feature" in QVt/Net that shouldn't be
there. (Yep, I think I found a bug.)

Here is what happens:

    Load QVT/Net (either from the load=, run= or as
    the Program Manager. It doesn't seem to matter.)

    Start a single telnet session or start multiple telnet
    session. I get the same results whether I open one or
    more sessions on one or more different hosts.

    Close a telnet session. This is where I think the problem
    is occurring. It doesn't matter whether I close the session
    by logging out or whether I choosing the Exit command
    from the File menu. In both cases I get the same result.

As soon as I logout, I get an "Unrecoverable Application Error"
and the current applicatio (WinQVT/Net) is terminated. Then, while
still in the same Windows session, if I restart WinQVT/Net, I get
the following error as soon as I launch QVT/Net:
    Packet Driver Error: TYPE_IN_USE (Access Type)

So, I click OK and that error message goes away and a new one
shows up:
    Can't Access IP handle interface type 1
    Packet Driver probably not loaded.

And finally, when I click OK, that error message goes away and
I get the following:
    Network Initialization Error!

What is going on? When I exit windows and run the diagnostics that
came with the packet drivers, I am told that the packet driver
is still there and that it is still sending and receiving packets.
Everything seems to work except for the new version of WinQVT/Net.

I've stripped my autoexec.bat file and my config.sys down to just
the following:
    Autoexec.bat
        3c501 0x60 5 0x300
        PiktInt
        PATH C:\Windows
        SET TCPCONFIG=C:\Windows\Tool\QVT-Net\QVT_TCP.RC
    Config.sys
        Files=20
        buffers=15
        Device=C:\Tool\sys\himem.sys
        device=c:\windows\SmartDrv.sys 1024 512

I've got a 3c501 card and am using the 3c501 packet driver version
7.2, which was obtained from clarkson. I never had any problems
with the packet drivers with version 1.3 of QVT/Net.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

On a related note: anybody know if QPC Software (the WinQVT/Net
folks) are reachable by e-mail or by phone? I like their
software, but I'm not sure about their support.

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/02/91)

In article <1716@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM writes:
>As soon as I logout, I get an "Unrecoverable Application Error"

I get these without logging out of the telnet session ... just idle time will
do it for me ...

>and the current application (WinQVT/Net) is terminated. Then, while
>still in the same Windows session, if I restart WinQVT/Net, I get
>the following error as soon as I launch QVT/Net:
>    Packet Driver Error: TYPE_IN_USE (Access Type)
>
>    Can't Access IP handle interface type 1
>    Packet Driver probably not loaded.
>
>    Network Initialization Error!

What is happening is that the previous winqvt/net session IS NOT
relinquishing the network, therefore when the new instance starts up, it
can't access the network.

Exiting windows & re-entering will not clear it up either.

I am guessing that PKTINT.COM (that is part of winqvt/net) is "told" that
someone has accessed the network, but is not told (by the crashing winqvt/net)
that it is free again.

Net result ... a re-boot is required (at least in my case).

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

In article <1716@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:

   As soon as I logout, I get an "Unrecoverable Application Error"
   and the current applicatio (WinQVT/Net) is terminated. Then, while
   still in the same Windows session, if I restart WinQVT/Net, I get
   the following error as soon as I launch QVT/Net:
       Packet Driver Error: TYPE_IN_USE (Access Type)

Right, that's because the crashed WinQVT/Net still has the packet driver
handle open.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if your machine crashes shortly
thereafter, because the next packet that was sent to your machine would be
upcalled to a non-existant program.  *Boom*.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) (03/05/91)

In article <2477@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>In article <1716@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:
>>As soon as I logout, I get an "Unrecoverable Application Error"
>
>I get these without logging out of the telnet session ... just idle time will
>do it for me ...

Interesting. I can let my telnet window sit idle for hours and
nothing will happpen. (WinQVT/NET won't crash. Everything seems
to run fine.

>>and the current application (WinQVT/Net) is terminated. Then, while
>>still in the same Windows session, if I restart WinQVT/Net, I get
>>the following error as soon as I launch QVT/Net:
>>    Packet Driver Error: TYPE_IN_USE (Access Type)
>>
>>    Can't Access IP handle interface type 1
>>    Packet Driver probably not loaded.
>>
>>    Network Initialization Error!
>
>What is happening is that the previous winqvt/net session IS NOT
>relinquishing the network, therefore when the new instance starts up, it
>can't access the network.

I kind of figured something like this was happening. But I didn't
know enough about packet drivers and networks to properly word
my guess.

>Exiting windows & re-entering will not clear it up either.

Yep, same thing here.

Also, somebody e-mailed me and asked if I was using the
-w switch for the packet driver. I wasn't, but when I do use
the -w switch for the packet driver (3c501.com) I experience
the same problems when I don't use the -w switch. At this point
it doesn't seems like the -w swicth is part of the problem.

>I am guessing that PKTINT.COM (that is part of winqvt/net) is "told" that
>someone has accessed the network, but is not told (by the crashing winqvt/net)
>that it is free again.

That sounds like it fits our situation. It would be nice if the
QPC Software Folks (the WinQVT/NET folks) could modify their
software to detect this situation (a crashed WinQVT/NET session).

>Net result ... a re-boot is required (at least in my case).

Yep, I have to use the same 'fix.' Looks like I will be going
back to the older version of WinQVT/NET. (And this really
pisses me off. I payed to be registered and what do I get,
a newer version of software that won't work properly on the
same hardware and network setup that the older version of
software had no problems with. Actually, I'm not pissed off,
just a little upset.)

Hope the QPC software folks are listening. Anybody
know of if they are reachable by e-mail or if they
can be reached on a BBS. (At this point, I'm willing to
pay for the phone call; I just want to get their software
working.)

mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) (03/07/91)

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:

>In article <2477@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com
>(Leo Hinds) writes:
>>In article <1716@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell)
>>writes:
>>>As soon as I logout, I get an "Unrecoverable Application Error"
>>
>>I get these without logging out of the telnet session ... just idle time will
>>do it for me ...

>Interesting. I can let my telnet window sit idle for hours and
>nothing will happen. (WinQVT/NET won't crash. Everything seems
>to run fine.

Idle time is enough for me.  Is it possible that Cal Jewell and I are
both using a screen saver or some other configuration which causes
windows to swap wnqvt out, and that Leo Hinds is not?  I load screen
peace by default and use v8 of the ni5210 packet driver with the "-w"
switch (and MY shirt is white w/ stripes |-).  The "-w" switch
purportedly takes care of this by "sensing" that the application has
swapped out and dropping further packets until the application returns
to core.

I also get the "seemingly harmless" "packet driver error 8
(SetRcvMode)" message on wnqvtnet startup AND I get an occasional
"Packet received for invalid port - reset sent" in the wnqvtnet
console window.  Is this thing sending trash over the net?  I'd like
to know because I feel it's our responsibility to stop using it
immediately if it's impairing network performance.

As I post this I've seen at least a half dozen "invalid port"
messages.  I have also noted this message (exactly one occurrence)
under NCSA telnet v2.3b14.  What's the relationship?

>Yep, I have to use the same 'fix.' Looks like I will be going
>back to the older version of WinQVT/NET.
>a newer version of software that won't work properly on the
>same hardware and network setup that the older version of
>software had no problems with.

Does this mean an older, more reliable version exists with a
reasonable subset of the current version's capabilities?  What subset,
and can it still be found at cica?

>Hope the QPC software folks are listening. Anybody
>know of if they are reachable by e-mail or if they
>can be reached on a BBS.

Sure would be nice.  Witness folks like FTP Inc. who carry out this
type of electronic interaction so effectively... and their
proportionately faithful customer base.

>>leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
-----------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey, I know you. (see .sig :-)

Scott Wills (mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com)

M. Scott Wills                        internet: mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4828                        uucp: uunet!x102a!mwills

cpm5479@rigel.tamu.edu (Christopher Menzel) (03/07/91)

In article <5701@trantor.harris-atd.com>, mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes...
>Is it possible that Cal Jewell and I are
>both using a screen saver or some other configuration which causes
>windows to swap wnqvt out, and that Leo Hinds is not?  I load screen
>peace by default...

I had numerous inexplicable UAEs not only with WinQVT/net but with
several other applications as well when I was loading Screen Peace
by default, and which cleared up after I stopped using it.  Being a
good pragmatist I didn't pursue the matter any farther...

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) (03/09/91)

In <1991Mar8.163207.207@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
(John Davis) writes:

>Errrkk - you're using the -w option on the packet driver?? My understanding
>of that option was it made the driver drop ALL packets when you went into
>windows - not just when an app under windows swaps out. I'm successfully
>using WinQVT/net 1.5 here without problems , and _without_ the -w on the
>packet driver (pktint does all the dirty work). I'd seriously recommend
>you try removing the '-w' as well and see what happens...

I will certainly give that a try.  However, the -w option must not
drop all packets in windows, because I am using it now (ni5210 and
wnqvtnet).  Here is the excerpt from the v8 packet driver install.doc
which explains -w:

          The -w switch is used for Windows.  Install the packet driver
          before running MS-Windows.  This switch does not prevent Windows
          from swapping your network application out of memory, it simply
          detects when that has happened, and drops the packets on the
          floor.

A recent posting here (or was it in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc?)
indicated that the author had found the right approach to this
problem, reactivating the wnqvtnet (or other packet driver
application) when a received packet interrupt occurs.  A follow up
suggested that this approach would soon be integrated in to the
Clarkson packet drivers :-)!!!  It is not clear to me whether this
enhancement will apply to poor 286 standard mode users such as myself
or will be reserved for 386 enhanced mode.  (anyone?)
M. Scott Wills                    Harris Corporation
mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com       Government Aerospace Systems Division
uunet!x102a!mwills                Melbourne, Florida

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) (03/09/91)

In article <5701@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:
>I also get the "seemingly harmless" "packet driver error 8
[ some stuff deleted]
>(SetRcvMode)" message on wnqvtnet startup AND I get an occasional
>"Packet received for invalid port - reset sent" in the wnqvtnet
>console window.  Is this thing sending trash over the net?  I'd like
>to know because I feel it's our responsibility to stop using it
>immediately if it's impairing network performance.
>
>As I post this I've seen at least a half dozen "invalid port"
>messages.  I have also noted this message (exactly one occurrence)
>under NCSA telnet v2.3b14.  What's the relationship?

I have the same problem when I use the clarkson ni6510-driver.
If I instead use the ipx.com packet-driver wich was included
with the Racal-Interlan Ni6510 Pc/tcp packet then I doesn't
get any errors in the console-window in Winqvt/net.

It seems to be some similar problem to both the ni5210 & ni6510
clarkson-packet drivers.

/Lars Nilsson

--
Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Stockholm - Sweden

In article <1991Mar9.102635.3686@ericsson.se> etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:

   In article <5701@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:
   >I also get the "seemingly harmless" "packet driver error 8

The 9.x packet drivers won't give that error.

   >(SetRcvMode)" message on wnqvtnet startup AND I get an occasional
   >"Packet received for invalid port - reset sent" in the wnqvtnet
   >console window.  Is this thing sending trash over the net?  I'd like
   >to know because I feel it's our responsibility to stop using it
   >immediately if it's impairing network performance.

I'm guessing that it's sending back an ICMP "Port Unreachable" because
it received a packet for a port with no listener.  It's a perfectly
valid thing for the software to do.  It's a stupid message, because it
just confuses people.

   >As I post this I've seen at least a half dozen "invalid port"
   >messages.  I have also noted this message (exactly one occurrence)
   >under NCSA telnet v2.3b14.  What's the relationship?

   I have the same problem when I use the clarkson ni6510-driver.
   If I instead use the ipx.com packet-driver wich was included
   with the Racal-Interlan Ni6510 Pc/tcp packet then I doesn't
   get any errors in the console-window in Winqvt/net.

Interesting.  I also get these messages with the 3c503 driver.  Perhaps
there's something wrong with *all* the packet drivers?  Or perhaps the
message has nothing to do with the packet drivers at all?

--

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/20/91)

   Date: 20 Mar 91 04:14:42 GMT
   From: Russ Nelson <decwrl!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!agate!bionet!uwm.edu!cs.utexas.edu!usc!rpi!clarkson!grape.ecs.clarkson.edu!nelson>

      >As I post this I've seen at least a half dozen "invalid port"
      >messages.  I have also noted this message (exactly one occurrence)
      >under NCSA telnet v2.3b14.  What's the relationship?

      I have the same problem when I use the clarkson ni6510-driver.
      If I instead use the ipx.com packet-driver wich was included
      with the Racal-Interlan Ni6510 Pc/tcp packet then I doesn't
      get any errors in the console-window in Winqvt/net.

   Interesting.  I also get these messages with the 3c503 driver.  Perhaps
   there's something wrong with *all* the packet drivers?  Or perhaps the
   message has nothing to do with the packet drivers at all?

It sounds more like winqvt's not coping with broadcast packets, like
rwho or routing packets. You'd be a lot less likely to see these over
an IPX link, but very likely over any ethernet with a UNIX system on
it. Do they appear periodically?
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

kurt@photon.tamu.EDU (Kurt Freiberger) (03/20/91)

Where may one snarf a copy of WinQVT/Net?
Thanks
--
Kurt Freiberger, wb5bbw	  kurt@cs.tamu.edu   409/847-8706
Dept. of Computer Science, Texas A&M University