[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Clarkson 3C503 & PC-NFS

gbj@melb.bull.oz.au (Graham Jose) (03/07/91)

I am having considerable trouble getting the Clarkson 3C503 packet driver to
work with PC-NFS. My Etherlink board is configured at IO address 0x300, with
an interupt of 5 and DMA address strapped at DC00. I have been trying to
start the packet driver after PC-NFS comes up with the following command
line:
	3C503 0x6a 5 0x300 1

It would seem that this has the effect of always trashing PC-NFS, leaving my
network drives inacessible. My ultimate aim is to be able to run WINQVTNET in
Windows 3.0, while still having access to my network drives.

Regards,
Graham Jose

| Graham Jose, Snr Software Engineer (EFTPOS,Comms) |   Phone: 61 3 4200450 |
| Melbourne Development Centre		            |   Fax:   61 3 4200445 |
| Bull HN Information Systems Australia Pty Ltd     |-----------------------|
| ACSnet  : gbj@bull.oz                             |  Who wants my opinion |
| Internet: gbj@melb.bull.oz.au                     |  anyway?              |

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) (03/14/91)

In article <gbj.668304598@sirius> gbj@melb.bull.oz.au (Graham Jose) writes:
>I am having considerable trouble getting the Clarkson 3C503 packet driver to
>work with PC-NFS.
[...stuff deleted...]
> My ultimate aim is to be able to run WINQVTNET in
>Windows 3.0, while still having access to my network drives.

I am trying to accomplish the same thing (get WinQVT/NET and
PC-NFS to coexist peacefully). But, I haven't been able to
pull it off yet.

As near as I can tell, what happens is that when you boot
the PC, PC-NFS grabs control of the packet driver and won't
let go. Then, when you start Windows and start WinQVT/NET,
it exits because the packet driver is already in use.

I can get PC-NFS to run on the packet driver. I can get
WinQVT/NET to run on the packet driver. But, I can't get
the two to run together. Am I missing something?

If anybody has managed to get WinQVT/NET and PC-NFS to
coexist, I'd like to know.

I guess that the other possible answer is that Graham and I
are trying to do the undoable do.

Anybody out there that can offer any clues/insight/answers?

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/15/91)

   Date: 14 Mar 91 00:19:03 GMT
   From: Cal Jewell <decwrl!uunet.uu.net!pilchuck!jewell>
   I can get PC-NFS to run on the packet driver. I can get
   WinQVT/NET to run on the packet driver. But, I can't get
   the two to run together. Am I missing something?

I expect so. The packet driver has no provisions for supporting
multiple instances of the same protocol stack (ie: two TCP's). Never
had it, never will. It's a dangerous thing to try to do and unlikely
to work right regardless of the amount of kludgery put into it.

The packet driver is the wrong level to be trying to fix this sort of
problem. It needs to be addressed in the programming interface to the
transport layer (TCP and UDP). There should be only one instance of a
single type of transport layer per machine, unless you're running
multiple network interfaces and appear to the net to be multiple
machines.

We rehash this one about once every week or two. Again, for
everybody's benefit, the packet driver was designed to allow protocol
stacks relative independence of the specific device used to access the
network, and to allow multiple (different) protocol stacks to share
one network device. It was never intended, and will not work, to allow
multiple instances of the same protocol. This applies as well to its
younger siblings, NDIS and ODI.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	FAX: 415 594-1141

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/16/91)

   From: "Roger Fajman" <RAF@CU.NIH.GOV>
   Date:     Fri, 15 Mar 91  19:18:39 EST

   All this is very true, but somewhat misses the point.  There is a real
   need to mix and match applications from various TCP/IP implementations,
   as no single package has everything.  As long as there is no standard
   interface to a TCP/IP kernel under DOS, this is impossible to do and
   leads to the desire to run two independent TCP/IP stacks on one
   adapter.

I understand the what you're saying, but my point is about this particular
"solution". We've gone over it time and time again. The problem's not
solvable at the driver level. It's a bad idea. It won't work
right, if it works at all. The packet driver is a solution to one kind
of problem; people see that it works for that problem and try to use
it to solve other problems that it doesn't work for. Pursue other
solutions to this problem. Make there be a binary standard. Get people
or organizations to provide API translators. Persuade your favorite
(or most hated) vendor to port around other applications or provide
some kind of other support for them.

Yes, I know it's a real problem. Users need to find real solutions.
The packet driver isn't one.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (03/18/91)

In article <9103151710.AA08850@asylum.sf.ca.us> romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
>solutions to this problem. Make there be a binary standard. Get people
>or organizations to provide API translators. Persuade your favorite
>(or most hated) vendor to port around other applications or provide
>some kind of other support for them.

Agreed, lets see some vendor show some leadership and make a proposed
TCP API publicly available.  My last post on this subject earned me some
mail indicating this is a desired thing.   I guess the biggest problem
is the lost revenue in developer toolkits, huh?

(BTW I tried to respond to everyone, but some mail addresses did not work.
 Particularly those routing through UoT such as SCOCAN)
Erick Engelke                                       Watstar Computer Network
Watstar Network Guy                                   University of Waterloo
Erick@Development.Watstar.UWaterloo.ca              (519) 885-1211 Ext. 2965

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/19/91)

   Date: 18 Mar 91 07:15:05 GMT
   From: Erick Engelke <decwrl!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!news-server.csri.toronto.edu!utgpu!watserv1!sunee!erick>

   Agreed, lets see some vendor show some leadership and make a proposed
   TCP API publicly available.  My last post on this subject earned me some
   mail indicating this is a desired thing.   I guess the biggest problem
   is the lost revenue in developer toolkits, huh?

I should point out that this message is me speaking as John Romkey and
not having anything to do with FTP Software.

You know, this isn't the first time this has come up. Several of us
talked about this briefly several years ago; there wasn't much
interest in it among vendors. I don't believe there would be any lost
revenue in developer toolkits; I think the biggest problem is that
it's a political fiasco and huge resource-sink trying to get vendors
to agree on such a thing. I imagine that all the vendors have more
urgent uses for their resources, and it's not at all clear to me that
the this effort would ever pay for itself. It's also a very big
investment in resources to make something like that work right in all
concerned environments, even if you have the specification in hand.
TSR's are beasts, especially in the network world. Perhaps it's
something that the academic community, which seems the most concerned
about it, could take up.

For that matter, FTP Software decided some years ago that its API
was open and that others could implement according to its spec. The
toolkit is not publically available, as it's a commercial product,
but anyone may implement the programming interface.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

macisaac@cs.ubc.ca (Gary MacIsaac) (03/21/91)

Where would I look to obtain a copy of FTP Software's
TCP API specification document mentioned earlier?  Is it
available via anonymous ftp?

Thanks, Gary MacIsaac
macisaac@cs.ubc.ca