[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Searching a PD/SW program to display TCP/IP-frames !

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) (03/09/91)

I am looking after a program (PD or shareware) that can be used with
a packet driver and wich displays/interprets tcp/ip.
Sniffer does this very well but I'm looking for something cheaper :-)

Is there such a program ?
Is netwatch something for me ?

/Lars Nilsson

--
Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Stockholm - Sweden

etstjan@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl (Jan van Oorschot) (03/16/91)

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:

>I am looking after a program (PD or shareware) that can be used with
>a packet driver and wich displays/interprets tcp/ip.
>Sniffer does this very well but I'm looking for something cheaper :-)

	There is a PD package NetCure, written by my research group.
	There is a version NetCure that does exactly what you want on:

	dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl:NetCure

	The next version with SNMP support is in Beta-test on:

	dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl:Beholder

	both anonymous ftp.

greetings   Jan

-- Ir. Jan van Oorschot.             --- Email: JPMvOorschot@et.tudelft.nl --
-- Data Network Performance Analysis Project                               --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --
-- P.O.Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands ------ Fax: (31)-15-784898 --

In article <1991Mar9.103301.3865@ericsson.se> etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:

   I am looking after a program (PD or shareware) that can be used with
   a packet driver and wich displays/interprets tcp/ip.
   Sniffer does this very well but I'm looking for something cheaper :-)

   Is there such a program ?
   Is netwatch something for me ?

Netwatch doesn't interpret tcp/ip to any level of detail, not like
tcpwatch on Suns.  Perhaps someone could port tcpwatch to the PC?

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (03/23/91)

       I am looking after a program (PD or shareware) that can be used with
       a packet driver and wich displays/interprets tcp/ip.
       Sniffer does this very well but I'm looking for something cheaper :-)

    Netwatch doesn't interpret tcp/ip to any level of detail, not like
    tcpwatch on Suns.  Perhaps someone could port tcpwatch to the PC?

There are at least two commercial LAN monitor programs for PCs which
cost a lot less than a Sniffer (< 5%): Our LANWatch and TWG's WIN/Watch.
As you might guess, both are derived from MIT's Netwatch, but the
developers took somewhat different directions.  Both parse IP, UDP and
TCP headers symbolically, as well as a lot of other stuff.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901