[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Questions about PCIP

kory@avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) (03/21/91)

I have been playing extensivly with PC/IP and I am thinking of developing
some software using the libraries that come with it. I have several questions
that I thought some people might be able to answer:

	1. It doesn't seem to be able to resolve host names and domain
	names. I have a Sun Sparcstation 1+ running SunOS 4.1 acting
	as a name server.

	2. Lpr thinks it sent the file to the print server, but nothing
	gets printed.

	3. About 50% of the time when using rexec, I get the following
	message:

		Foreign host is trying to establish a connection with us
		as we are to it. Perhaps you should quit.

	It then proceeds to reset the TCP connection and restart. Every
	thing works, even when this message is printed. Other programs
	that use TCP don't exhibit this behavior.

	4. I noticed that the programs and libraries are all built using the
	small memory model. I need to use the large model. Has anyone tried
	to convert it over to the large model. Any hints or pointers would
	be very helpful.

	5. Are there any other bugs that I should know about?

When using FTP's PC/TCP on the same PC and network, all of the above
functions work fine. This leads to believe that the network/Sun is all
setup correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--kory

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: kory@avatar.com

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/23/91)

   Date: 21 Mar 91 02:30:34 GMT
   From: Kory Hamzeh <decwrl!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!think.com!linus!philabs!ttidca!quad1!avatar!kory>

	   1. It doesn't seem to be able to resolve host names and domain
	   names. I have a Sun Sparcstation 1+ running SunOS 4.1 acting
	   as a name server.

This used to work back at MIT but the code is many years old.

	   2. Lpr thinks it sent the file to the print server, but nothing
	   gets printed.

Ditto.

	   4. I noticed that the programs and libraries are all built using the
	   small memory model. I need to use the large model. Has anyone tried
	   to convert it over to the large model. Any hints or pointers would
	   be very helpful.

It's a hassle. The problems are two-fold. First, the code's not very
clean. Second, and more importantly, converting the tasking package to
large memory model will be a real pain, especially if you use
Microsoft C, which requires that all the stacks be in one segment.

	   5. Are there any other bugs that I should know about?

PC/IP is not actively maintained, and is probably quite out of sync in
many ways with today's ideal TCP/IP stack. I'm one of the original
authors and I don't recommend using it. Use a supported commercial
package, or NCSA Telnet or KA9Q if you must (KA9Q only for
non-commercial applications unless you have Phil Karn's permission).

   When using FTP's PC/TCP on the same PC and network, all of the above
   functions work fine. This leads to believe that the network/Sun is all
   setup correctly.

PC/TCP is a descendant of PC/IP, by the way; most every line of code
rewritten but then most of the descendants have done that by now.

		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

trier@adamwest.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (03/23/91)

In article <9103220835.AA01350@asylum.sf.ca.us> romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
>[Re: Non-small model PC/IP's]
>It's a hassle. The problems are two-fold. First, the code's not very
>clean. Second, and more importantly, converting the tasking package to
>large memory model will be a real pain, especially if you use
>Microsoft C, which requires that all the stacks be in one segment.

I am in the process of converting a PC/IP descendent for memory model
independence.  It hasn't been too difficult so far, although I have
spent a month or so working on it (15 hour workweeks, since I'm a student)
The tricks are to replace as much assembly code as possible with C and
with standard library calls, and then to set up the tasking package to
use _nmalloc to allocate its stacks within the data segment.  (You will
also have to write four versions of the tk_swtch function, one for each
memory model.)

Of course, my converted programs are crashing occasionally, and the DNS
code still doesn't seem to work right.  I think there are still some
sizeof(char *) == sizeof(int) assumptions I haven't yet found.

Oh, the other advantage I have had as I've made this conversion is that
I am converting a Stanford PC/IP derivative.  As a result, most of the
really ugly code is inside a TSR kernel that can stay small model.  I
have just had to convert the libraries.

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services

jrd@cc.usu.edu (03/31/91)

In article <9103220835.AA01350@asylum.sf.ca.us>, romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) writes:
>    Date: 21 Mar 91 02:30:34 GMT
>    From: Kory Hamzeh <decwrl!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!think.com!linus!philabs!ttidca!quad1!avatar!kory>
>
> 	   1. It doesn't seem to be able to resolve host names and domain
> 	   names. I have a Sun Sparcstation 1+ running SunOS 4.1 acting
> 	   as a name server.
>
> This used to work back at MIT but the code is many years old.
>
> 	   2. Lpr thinks it sent the file to the print server, but nothing
> 	   gets printed.
>
> Ditto.
>

> 	   4. I noticed that the programs and libraries are all built using the
> 	   small memory model. I need to use the large model. Has anyone tried
> 	   to convert it over to the large model. Any hints or pointers would
> 	   be very helpful.
>
> It's a hassle. The problems are two-fold. First, the code's not very
> clean. Second, and more importantly, converting the tasking package to
> large memory model will be a real pain, especially if you use
> Microsoft C, which requires that all the stacks be in one segment.
>
> 	   5. Are there any other bugs that I should know about?
>
> PC/IP is not actively maintained, and is probably quite out of sync in
> many ways with today's ideal TCP/IP stack. I'm one of the original
> authors and I don't recommend using it. Use a supported commercial
> package, or NCSA Telnet or KA9Q if you must (KA9Q only for
> non-commercial applications unless you have Phil Karn's permission).
>
>    When using FTP's PC/TCP on the same PC and network, all of the above
>    functions work fine. This leads to believe that the network/Sun is all
>    setup correctly.
>
> PC/TCP is a descendant of PC/IP, by the way; most every line of code
> rewritten but then most of the descendants have done that by now.
>
> 		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
> USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

	And, if you've read this far, I suspect the lack of name translation
might be in a missed out name server ident in netdev.sys. On my rendition
of PC/IP the above items work (but I've not tried lpr). If you want to try
my Packet Driver flavor then use anonymous ftp to netlab.usu.edu, 129.123.1.11,
cd to [anonymous.netwatch], and please read the read.me file to choose the
correct (but huge) file(s) to transfer.
	Joe D.