[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/IP over modem

Alan.Gallatin@samba.acs.unc.edu (Alan Gallatin) (03/27/91)

I've been told by several people that there is a way (ways?) to send
TCP/IP packets over a modem thereby allowing an IBM (such as my 386)
which has no ethernet access to the internet to run such utilities as
telnet, ftp, etc.  I would be MOST GRATEFUL for answers to the
following:

1)  Is there any truth to what I've heard?  Can I run TCP/IP over a
modem?

2)  Aside from speed, what differences will I notice between this
implementation and an "ethernet-ed" IBM running "TELBIN / TN3270" and
"FTP"?

3)  What software do I need and what's the installation process like?

4)  Do I need the cooperation of a current internet machine for me to
access the internet and, if so, what does that machine need to provide
me with?

5)  Do I need any TECHNICAL knowledge of TCP/IP packet structure,
ethernet, internet, etc. or is a good working knowledge of IBM and
internet USAGE sufficient?

6)  Do I really want to do this????  (Don't bother answering this one -
the questions above are what I really need!)

Thanks MUCH!

Alan
	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

In article <3108@beguine.UUCP> Alan.Gallatin@samba.acs.unc.edu (Alan Gallatin) writes:

   I've been told by several people that there is a way (ways?) to send
   TCP/IP packets over a modem thereby allowing an IBM (such as my 386)
   which has no ethernet access to the internet to run such utilities as
   telnet, ftp, etc.  I would be MOST GRATEFUL for answers to the
   following:

   1)  Is there any truth to what I've heard?  Can I run TCP/IP over a
   modem?

Yes.  You can do TCP/IP over *any* medium, even carrier pigeon.
In fact, I believe there is even an RFC describing how to do it.
There are two standard protocls for transporting TCP/IP packets
over a serial link: SLIP and PPP.

   2)  Aside from speed, what differences will I notice between this
   implementation and an "ethernet-ed" IBM running "TELBIN / TN3270" and
   "FTP"?

None.

   3)  What software do I need and what's the installation process like?

You need a TCP/IP package that can communicate using SLIP or PPP.
For example, MIT's PC-IP package can use SLIP.

   4)  Do I need the cooperation of a current internet machine for me to
   access the internet and, if so, what does that machine need to provide
   me with?

They need to set up a router that can use SLIP (or PPP).  The cheapest
way to do this is using Phil Karn's (KA9Q) NOS.  The only hitch with it
is that only educational or amateur radio users can use it.

   5)  Do I need any TECHNICAL knowledge of TCP/IP packet structure,
   ethernet, internet, etc. or is a good working knowledge of IBM and
   internet USAGE sufficient?

You need to know a bit about IP routing.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

steve@johnson.jvnc.net ("Steven L. Johnson") (03/27/91)

>1)  Is there any truth to what I've heard?  Can I run TCP/IP over a
>modem?

Yes, two ways.  First, and most common, is SLIP (Serial Line Internet
Protocol).  Second, is PPP, the newer Point to Point Protocol.  I
currently run dial-up SLIP access from a Compaq 286 box to the
Internet (NSFnet backbone node at Princeton).

>2)  Aside from speed, what differences will I notice between this
>implementation and an "ethernet-ed" IBM running "TELBIN / TN3270" and
>"FTP"?

Well, theory says that SLIP is a full IP access.  But in actual practice
many of the IBM-PC programs won't run because they make assumptions
that all IP datagrams will have a 14 byte ethernet header tacked onto
the front, or that the ARP protocol is available.  It is my understanding
(although no experience) that some versions of TELBIN and TN3270 do support
the Packet Driver type 6 packets (i.e. SLIP).  I don't believe that
the commercial packages (from FTP, Sun, B&W, etc) suffer from these
problems.

This 'compatibility problem' would go away if someone wrote a packet
driver that accepted etherenet frames (PD type 1) from the user and
converted them to SLIP frames for network transport, and hacked fake
ethernet id and ARP service.  I've had limited discussions with people
to implement this functionality, but have seen little interest.

I included this discussion, because I'm sure someone will tell you that
you can just use the SLIP packet driver and everything will work.  It
doesn't, unless the program specifically has slip packet driver support.

>3)  What software do I need and what's the installation process like?

I've used Phil Karn's KA9Q package successfully.  It is free for
Ham Radio people and universities; a license is needed for other use.
Full source is available, a big plus.  Telnet support is very weak; it
works but no terminal emulations.

If you find versions of telbin, ftpbin, tn3270 that support slip packet
formats, you can get the slip driver itself from sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

Alternatively of course there are the commercial packages.

The installation varies from package to package, and many people have
reported frustration with all of the packages.  The error messages
are not necessarily intuitive.

>4)  Do I need the cooperation of a current internet machine for me to
>access the internet and, if so, what does that machine need to provide
>me with?

You need the cooperation of a machine.  Many people run SLIP on a
unix box connected to the Intenet.  I haven't done this.  I have
connected directly to a Cisco router and a Cisco terminal server
which directly supported SLIP access.  These of course had to be
configured to route packets for my IP address (also security
config'ed also).  Since I purchased this service, the Internet side
was all done for me (thank goodness).

I imagine that the procedure varies highly dependent on the type of
service (single IP address or network gateway), and what type of
machine you're tying into on the Internet side.

>5)  Do I need any TECHNICAL knowledge of TCP/IP packet structure,
>ethernet, internet, etc. or is a good working knowledge of IBM and
>internet USAGE sufficient?

To install and use SLIP on the PC side, I wouldn't think so.  But to
resolve problems, someone will.  It depends on if there is any SLIP
experience on the machine you connect to, and how willing they are
to tackle PC problems.

>6)  Do I really want to do this????  (Don't bother answering this one -
>the questions above are what I really need!)

In my case, I both wanted to and did.  It provides me with a flexible
and cost effective access to the Internet.

-Steve

ITMS400@INDYCMS.BITNET (Manjit Trehan) (03/27/91)

> . . .
>They need to set up a router that can use SLIP (or PPP).  The cheapest
>way to do this is using Phil Karn's (KA9Q) NOS.  The only hitch with it
>is that only educational or amateur radio users can use it.
> . . .

Does this mean, a PS/s with connections to a modem and ethernet could
act as a router using Phil Karn's (KA9Q) NOS (supporting SLIP), so I
could call the PS/2 from home and use FTP and TELNET and not have to
purchase any other equipment to accomplish this task?

Thank you.

Manjit

In article <9103270832.aa15221@louie.udel.edu> ITMS400@INDYCMS.BITNET (Manjit Trehan) writes:

   > . . .
   >They need to set up a router that can use SLIP (or PPP).  The cheapest
   >way to do this is using Phil Karn's (KA9Q) NOS.  The only hitch with it
   >is that only educational or amateur radio users can use it.
   > . . .

   Does this mean, a PS/s with connections to a modem and ethernet could
   act as a router using Phil Karn's (KA9Q) NOS (supporting SLIP), so I
   could call the PS/2 from home and use FTP and TELNET and not have to
   purchase any other equipment to accomplish this task?

Yes, exactly.  I've done it.  The only tricky thing is to get your
network's routers to route to your remote PC.  That can usually be done
by using the ARP hack (set up a hard-coded ARP entry that points the
local Ethernet to your PC at home).

--

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (03/29/91)

> From: Alan Gallatin <beguine!Alan.Gallatin@mcnc.org>

> 1)  Is there any truth to what I've heard?  Can I run TCP/IP over a
> modem?

There are two "official" ways of running IP over a modem.  The older,
more widely implemented method is to use SLIP (serial line IP).  I
believe there is a SLIP packet driver, and all the commercial
implementations support SLIP.  SLIP has some administrative
shortcommings, such as assignment of IP addresses and authentication.
If you're the only one dialing into a slip server (many (most?) unix
boxes can be configured as slip servers) the addressing problem is less
important.

The other way of running IP over serial lines is to use PPP (Point to Point
Protocol).  This solves the shortcomings of slip, but since it's a new
protocol, isn't as widely implemented.  I don't know if there's a PD PPP
packet driver.

> 2)  Aside from speed, what differences will I notice between this
> implementation and an "ethernet-ed" IBM running "TELBIN / TN3270" and
> "FTP"?

There are different administrative issues involving address generation
and security.  Once you've set up the SLIP connection, you shouldn't
notice any difference though.  In fact, you probably won't notice a
lot of difference in telnet at all.

> 4)  Do I need the cooperation of a current internet machine for me to
> access the internet and, if so, what does that machine need to provide
> me with?

Yes.  You need a machine to talk to that runs the protocol you're
running (SLIP or PPP).  There are PD implementation of SLIP for
various OS's and there are some PD implementations of PPP for some
flavors of unix.  Many TCP/IP vendors will be offering PPP products
shortly if they don't already, and most, if not all currently offer
SLIP service.

> 5)  Do I need any TECHNICAL knowledge of TCP/IP packet structure,
> ethernet, internet, etc. or is a good working knowledge of IBM and
> internet USAGE sufficient?

You may need to know how to assign an IP address to your slip
implementation.

> 6)  Do I really want to do this????  (Don't bother answering this one -
> the questions above are what I really need!)

It's really not that bad.  There are a couple of magic numbers you
need to know that vary between installations, but once you've done it
once it's trivial.  I wouldn't try SLIP using anything under 9600
baud.  PPP has some compression options (I think, not sure) that make 2400
painful, but usable.

Good luck,

Joe Herman
dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (03/29/91)

> From: Manjit Trehan <ITMS400%INDYCMS.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu>

> Does this mean, a PS/s with connections to a modem and ethernet could
> act as a router using Phil Karn's (KA9Q) NOS (supporting SLIP), so I
> could call the PS/2 from home and use FTP and TELNET and not have to
> purchase any other equipment to accomplish this task?

Absolutely.  I know of several sites that use this setup or a simllar one
using one of the commercial packages.  This setup fails when you try and
add more than two or three serial lines to the router.  A couple of years
ago, we took an old IBM AT (6 MHz) and set it up as a router for 2 ethernet
cards, two token ring cards and two serial lines.  It routed between the
LAN cards well enough, but two active 9600 lines caused it to start missing
interrupts.   Today's machines may be able to handle the load though.
There's a big difference between 25 and 6 MHz.

So, yes, it's a nice, cheap solution.  You start up the router when you leave
the office and telnet in from home.

Joe Herman
U. of Maryland, DOSIP project

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (03/29/91)

I've used the SLIP packet driver, but I'm curious about other solutions
to the problem of network extension over serial lines.  Has anyone
worked on implementing PPP under MS-DOS?  Any tips?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on sharing a serial line between IP
and Novell NetWare's IPX protocols?  I have two ideas on this:  (1)
use PPP; (2) Encapsulate IP in IPX.  The first has the disadvantage
of being non-standard, at least for now, and the second would require
a NetWare 3.11 router and two packets sent over the Ethernet for every
one sent to or received from the remote site.  (The modems used must
be attached to a terminal server on the Ethernet.)

A third possibility would be to encapsulate the IPX in IP and to let
a NetWare 3.11 router deencapsulate.  This seems to have all of the
disadvantages of 2, with the additional disadvantage that custom IPX-
in-IP encapsulation for DOS would have to be developed.

Any comments or brilliant ideas?  :-)

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services

jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) (04/04/91)

In article <NELSON.91Mar26201547@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) writes:

>  The cheapest
>way to do this is using Phil Karn's (KA9Q) NOS.  The only hitch with it
>is that only educational or amateur radio users can use it.

Correction: Commercial use is possible, for a very modest fee, upon my last
investigation.  Contact Mr. Karn as karn@ka9q.bellcore.com for details.

	Joe Stong   jst@cca.ucsf.edu