[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Performance of the PD Packages

SCEF0003@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU ("James N. Petersen") (04/05/91)

In a recent article, Joe Strong <cca.ucsf.edu!jst@cgl.ucsf.edu> writes:

>Would someone mind relating to me what kind of performance they've
>gotten out of the KA9Q software on Ethernet, doing FTP, versus some
>of the official commercial packages?

>Machine1:  DOS, 386/25, WD8003e, KA9Q software
>Machine2:  Xenix, 386/20, Excelan Board, Excelan TCP/IP package.

>FTP put from 1 to 2 = 70KB/sec.

>FTP put from 2 to 1 = 10KB/sec.

>Is there some known bug, like WD8003E's not being able to swallow
>back-to-back packets, that I'm missing here?

Although I am using CUTCP and not KA9Q, I see the same sort of differences
when using CUTCP and transfering to either an IBM 3090 or a DecStation 5000.
Transfers from the DOS machine occur rapidly, transfers to it are much
slower.  I have assumed that it is because of the disk access speed on the
PC, but perhaps I am wrong.  Suggestions.

Jim

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (04/05/91)

In article <9104041437.aa27983@louie.udel.edu> SCEF0003@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU ("James N. Petersen") writes:
>In a recent article, Joe Strong <cca.ucsf.edu!jst@cgl.ucsf.edu> writes:
>
>>Would someone mind relating to me what kind of performance they've
>>gotten out of the KA9Q software on Ethernet, doing FTP, versus some
>>of the official commercial packages?
>
>>Machine1:  DOS, 386/25, WD8003e, KA9Q software
>>Machine2:  Xenix, 386/20, Excelan Board, Excelan TCP/IP package.
>
>>FTP put from 1 to 2 = 70KB/sec.
>
>>FTP put from 2 to 1 = 10KB/sec.
>
>>Is there some known bug, like WD8003E's not being able to swallow
>>back-to-back packets, that I'm missing here?
>
>Although I am using CUTCP and not KA9Q, I see the same sort of differences
>when using CUTCP and transfering to either an IBM 3090 or a DecStation 5000.
>Transfers from the DOS machine occur rapidly, transfers to it are much
>slower.  I have assumed that it is because of the disk access speed on the
>PC, but perhaps I am wrong.  Suggestions.
>
>Jim

An interesting comparison.

I have noticed some slow transfers using NCSA Telnet involving our Vax.
The rate was 1 kilobyte/sec. But they have changed their software.

So I tired it today and got the following results:

The PC is a Dell 310 20 MHz 386 clone with 8 megs memory and a 16 msec
IDE disk, using Hyperdisk cache. Ethernet card is a WD 8003E.

The Vax is some sort of recent miaco-Vax (3500????) running the current
VMS. The MIPS is a MIPS 120.

I am using NCSA Ftpbin on the PC here and transferring a 675 kilobyte file.

send to VAX:                71 kilobytes/sec
get from VAX to a file:     53 kilobytes/sec
get from VAX to nul:        64 kilobytes/sec

send to MIPS:               97 kilobytes/sec
get from MIPS to a file:   107 kilobytes/sec
get from MIPS to nul:      128 kilobytes/sec

These are respectable results.

If I change the PC from Hyperdisk to Smartdrive and run NCSA Telnet
inside a window inside Microsoft Windows on the PC and then ftp
BACK to the PC from the VMS or Unix machine I get:

send to VAX:                61 kilobytes/sec
get from VAX to a file:     29 kilobytes/sec
get from VAX to nul:        52 kilobytes/sec

send to MIPS:               66 kilobytes/sec
get from MIPS to a file:    42 kilobytes/sec
get from MIPS to nul:       73 kilobytes/sec

These still seem reasonable. You will note that the VAX is as bad a bottleneck
as Microsoft Windows!!!!! This has proven true even when ftping between
the VAX and the MIPS. AS you might expect, I tend to avoid the VAX.

Doug McDonald

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (04/06/91)

    >>Machine1:  DOS, 386/25, WD8003e, KA9Q software
    >>Machine2:  Xenix, 386/20, Excelan Board, Excelan TCP/IP package.
    >>FTP put from 1 to 2 = 70KB/sec.
    >>FTP put from 2 to 1 = 10KB/sec.

    The PC is a Dell 310 20 MHz 386 clone with 8 megs memory and a 16 msec
    IDE disk, using Hyperdisk cache. Ethernet card is a WD 8003E.

    The Vax is some sort of recent miaco-Vax (3500????) running the current
    VMS. The MIPS is a MIPS 120.

    ... using NCSA Ftpbin on the PC here and transferring a 675 kilobyte file.

    send to VAX:                71 kilobytes/sec
    get from VAX to a file:     53 kilobytes/sec
    get from VAX to nul:        64 kilobytes/sec

    send to MIPS:               97 kilobytes/sec
    get from MIPS to a file:   107 kilobytes/sec
    get from MIPS to nul:      128 kilobytes/sec

With PC/TCP 2.05, running on a WD8003/A in a 16Mhz Model 80, with the default
number of packet buffers (5) and a 4Kb TCP window, talking to a Sun 386i on
the same Ethernet, I can FTP files from disk to null device in either
direction at about at 205Kb/sec.  The more the disk matters in a benchmark
of this sort, the less reliable it is; I don't know how fragmented either
end of a reported transfer is...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901