[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Using the Clarkson Packet drivers with FTP software

pace@longbow.usace.mil (Joe Pace) (04/08/91)

In short, can this be done?  We have FTP software for Banyan Vines, and
I'd like to use our sitewide license also for machines with 3c503 boards.
Is it possible to use the 3c503 packet driver instead of the
ebanyan (kernel) from FTP?  I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks

Joe
--
Joe Pace
US Army Corps of Engineers                                     pace@usace.mil

bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (David J. Hughes) (04/09/91)

From article <1991Apr7.222140.19960@usace.mil>, by pace@longbow.usace.mil (Joe Pace):

> In short, can this be done?  We have FTP software for Banyan Vines, and
> I'd like to use our sitewide license also for machines with 3c503 boards.
> Is it possible to use the 3c503 packet driver instead of the
> ebanyan (kernel) from FTP?  I can't seem to get it to work.

There is a ditribution of the FTP software (Generic Hardware
Independant) that sits above the packet driver spec.  If you can get
your hands on this then all should work just fine.  We have had a look
at 2.05 over the packet driver and it is functionally identical to the
hardware specific verion we have at the moment (wd8003).

David
| David J. Hughes   (AKA bambi)	 |   bambi@kirk.bu.oz.au                     |
| Senior Systems Programmer	 |   bambi@kirk.bu.oz.au@uunet.uu.net        |
| Comms Development & Operations |   ..!uunet!munnari!kirk.bu.oz.au!bambi    |
| Bond University, Gold Coast    |   Phone : +61 75 951450                   |
| Queensland,  Australia  4229   |   Fax :   +61 75 951456                   |

larry@saruman.it.lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) (04/09/91)

pace@longbow.usace.mil (Joe Pace) writes:

>In short, can this be done?  We have FTP software for Banyan Vines, and
>I'd like to use our sitewide license also for machines with 3c503 boards.
>Is it possible to use the 3c503 packet driver instead of the
>ebanyan (kernel) from FTP?  I can't seem to get it to work.

You should have a generic hardware independent version of PC/TCP
(ETHDRV.EXE using IFCUST.SYS configuration file). I normally use this
version with their packet driver for NDIS (DIS_PKT.GUP), but works fine
with Clarkson drivers as well. We have 3c503, 3c523 and wd8003 boards.

Lauri
Lauri Toropainen, Punkkerikatu 6 as 1, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, FINLAND
Phone: +358-53-26814 or 9700-LARRY (25 FIM/min + local call collect)