[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Trying to get WD8003E driver working...

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) (04/06/91)

I am trying to get

I have a WD8003E board, and am trying to run NCSA Telnet using the
packet-driver, but am having no luck.  I load the driver with:

	WD8003E 0x60 3 0x280 0xD000

(Should I have D000 or D0000?  When I load with D0000, which is what
the diagnose.com program from Western Digital tells me is the shared
memory address, my computer hangs.  So instead I put D000, and the
packet driver likes this, too.)  I have checked the board's jumpers,
and they are set to the factory settings reflected above (interrupt 3
and i/o at 280).  I have 640K of base memory and 3072K of extended
memory.

I also have the config.tel file set for
	hardware=packet
	ioaddr=60

All I get is the top line,

	NCSA Telnet reading configuration file....

so I have an idea something is wrong in my file.  When I run Telnet using
the hardware address and the configuration file set like this,

	hardware=WD8003
	ioaddr=280
	address=D000
	interrupt=3

then I have no problems and I connect up wherever I want to.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, you
may be asking, "Why are you trying to use the packet driver if using
Telbin's own hardware driver works fine for you?"  The reason is I
want to use Popmail, which uses packet drivers, and I want to be sure
I've got the packet driver settings right and things work, because I'm
having problems with Popmail too.

Jeff Stern.
------------------------->jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu<-------------------------

cwilson@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Chris Wilson) (04/07/91)

In article <27FD307C.11763@orion.oac.uci.edu> jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) writes:

>I am trying to get
>
>I have a WD8003E board, and am trying to run NCSA Telnet using the
>packet-driver, but am having no luck.  I load the driver with:
> config.tel set to:
>	hardware=packet
>	ioaddr=60
>
>Jeff Stern.
>------------------------->jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu<-------------------------

Config.tel should be set to:
	hardware=packet
	interrupt=60
(i.e. interrupt, not ioaddr.)

-Chris Wilson
 Programmer, NCSA PC Telnet
 cwilson@ncsa.uiuc.edu

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (04/07/91)

 (Jeff Stern) wrote:
>I also have the config.tel file set for
>	hardware=packet
>	ioaddr=60

Try adding the following two lines to the above as well.

	address=0
	interrupt=0

...Sam
--
<skl@wimsey.bc.ca>

In article <27FD307C.11763@orion.oac.uci.edu> jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) writes:

   I have a WD8003E board, and am trying to run NCSA Telnet using the
   packet-driver, but am having no luck.  I load the driver with:

   	WD8003E 0x60 3 0x280 0xD000

   I also have the config.tel file set for
   	hardware=packet
   	ioaddr=60

When you're using hardware=packet, you should delete (or comment out)
all the other lines relating to the hardware, like this:

hardware=packet
# ioaddr=280
# address=D000
# interrupt=3

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson