[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Help with KA9Q telnet emulation under DESQview

kemp@convex.com (Phil Kemp) (04/10/91)

I am trying to run ka9q 0308 in a DESQview window ( not full screen ) and
I am having problems with the terminal emulation mode and cursor movment. In
particular:

nulls show up as spaces on the screen ( very annoying )

cursor movement keys do not work. They don't seem to even generate an
ascii sequence.

(BTW can you set up the F keys to generate user defined asci sequences?)

I dont have the null problem out of DESQview but I can't get the cursor
keys to work. I should note that this is over a slip line. I have no way
of testing this on Ethernet.

I use nansi.sys under DOS (non-DESQview). I haved tried uansi and the
pcMag ansi .com's under DESQview....

Any leads are highly valued.
Thanks

--
Phil Kemp
CONVEX Computer of Canada Ltd.

rich@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Rich Warwick) (04/11/91)

In article <kemp.671265138@convex.convex.com> kemp@convex.com (Phil Kemp) writes:
>I am trying to run ka9q 0308 in a DESQview window ( not full screen ) and
>I am having problems with the terminal emulation mode and cursor movment. In
>particular:
>
>nulls show up as spaces on the screen ( very annoying )
>
>cursor movement keys do not work. They don't seem to even generate an
>ascii sequence.
>
>(BTW can you set up the F keys to generate user defined asci sequences?)
>
>I dont have the null problem out of DESQview but I can't get the cursor
>keys to work. I should note that this is over a slip line. I have no way
>of testing this on Ethernet.
>
>I use nansi.sys under DOS (non-DESQview). I haved tried uansi and the
>pcMag ansi .com's under DESQview....
>
>Any leads are highly valued.
>Thanks
>
>--
>Phil Kemp
>CONVEX Computer of Canada Ltd.
>Voice:(403)-233-2815
>UUCP:kemp@convex.com

ka9q doesn't have a terminal emulator! It just dumps keyboard input out
to the BIOS (hence the use of NANSI.SYS). If you can get your host to
accept 'ansi' as a terminal type, then you should be ok. but you won't
get the cursor keys to work ever. Right now, I and several others here
at CWRU are working on adding VT100 emulation to ka9q. We are also
looking into implementing a window/menu system. I wish I could give you
a more favorable answer, but that's how it is. Send me some E-mail and
I'll keep you informed of our progress. As for DesqView, I don't use
it, so I can't tell you anything except that if it ain't there in the
first place, it certanly won't be there under DesqView. As I stated before,
we are working on VT100 emulation. We also have BOOTP (client and server
modes), and hopefully we'll integrate a decent mailer. Anyone interested
should send me E-mail.
				Rich

--
Richard Warwick              Internet:  rich@b62707.student.CWRU.Edu